Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics problem with new pc

Options
  • 26-12-2011 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi,
    Son just got a new pc which I got built. Everything was ok when I first set it up with drivers and windows.
    But today when he put it on the screen went all pixle-ated (sorry can't spell) then a blue screen came up with writing, didn't get what it said but I think it was something about memory. Then the safe mode boot screen came up.
    After it booted up he downloaded steam and minecraft and it was grand for a few hours, now it has little green dots all over screen and at times horizontal lines.

I think it's something to do with the ram on the graphics card, the card is sapphire radeon 6750 with only 512mb ram. It's a 24in screen. It's not the screen cos it works fine with the ps3.
    Anyone any ideas ?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

what I would do in your situation would be to delete the drivers (through control panel) and then use driver sweeper and then reinstall the newest drivers available for your card.

It does sound like the card is fecked though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭greenheart

Trevor451 wrote: »
    what I would do in your situation would be to delete the drivers (through control panel) and then use driver sweeper and then reinstall the newest drivers available for your card.

It does sound like the card is fecked though :(

Hey, I deleted drivers, then used driver sweeper, didn't use the one on 3G guru it says it's not available to download anymore so used different one, when that was done the dots/lines went and the screen was magnified. But then when I reinstalled the drivers it came back.
    I'm thinking maybe the card was knocked outa place cos it was ok initially.
    Really doing my head in now, don't know what to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Does sound like the graphics card alright.

Firstly check the power connector on the graphics card. Probably a 6 pin power connector.
    Then check that the card is in the slot properly. Depending on the case, you may need to unscrew the plate attaching it to the back and then press the small lever at the top of the card slot (depends on motherboard) to take out the card and put it in. I doubt there's dust in a new computer and I suppose you wouldn't have compressed air on hand but maybe blow into it if you see any dust. Don't use a vacuum cleaner!

If it's the main RAM itself, you could run memtest86+ which you can get at memtest.org. You'll need an empty USB drive to run and boot it from.

Monotype wrote: »
    Does sound like the graphics card alright.

Firstly check the power connector on the graphics card. Probably a 6 pin power connector.
    Then check that the card is in the slot properly. Depending on the case, you may need to unscrew the plate attaching it to the back and then press the small lever at the top of the card slot (depends on motherboard) to take out the card and put it in. I doubt there's dust in a new computer and I suppose you wouldn't have compressed air on hand but maybe blow into it if you see any dust. Don't use a vacuum cleaner!

If it's the main RAM itself, you could run memtest86+ which you can get at memtest.org. You'll need an empty USB drive to run and boot it from.

Hey,
    I checked all the cables running from the card and they seem to be ok. my son is going to funderland with his dad soon so i'll take it out and reset it then. Im hoping that's the problem cos it was ok when first set up, I could of knocked it out of place when taking it out of box.
    If that's not it I'll do the mem test, just hoping I don't have to RMA it.
    It has no graphic drivers on it at the min, he is just browsing and watching YouTube, is that ok?

No drivers is unlikely to damage it if that's what you mean.
    Make sure that you have all the chipset drivers. If this link works correctly, you should see a southbridge driver and AHCI driver, get those.
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/raid_windows.aspx

and the latest graphics.
    http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Also if the CPU is overclocked or you unlocked cores (phenom ii 555 x2 to B55 x4) switch back to dual core.

I've seen it happen before.

Hey,
    Reset the card and done everything mono said except the mem test, no USB drive.
    The problems are still there, think I'm going to have to return it but I wanna make sure it is the card, asked the same question on amd forums and they said it sounds like the power supply isn't enough, that it's quite weak for the system.
    Alot of windows updates are failing aswell and it has turned off itself twice today, I hope I'm not damaging it more by messing around with it. I need someone who knows what there doing, I haven't a clue.
    I took pics of screen when it knocked off, I'll post them later, on phone now.
    I also need to return the wireless card, it's only recognised by the pc sometimes.
    Such a headache! Son is dying to play his new games!
    What do you guys think I should do for the best? Just return it?

Sorry to hear that it's a bit messed up.
    The 450W amazon? No, that's loads. You could power much more powerful systems with that. People often over rate the power supplies because there's a lot of crap ones around that are not capable of providing the power they say. However, that doesn't rule out the possibility that you just got a bad PSU.
    It could be that your windows got corrupted somewhere along the way. Either through updates or original install.

Advertisement