Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first cheesecake = failure

Options
  • 26-12-2011 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

I made my first cheesecake ever, after researching 'how to' videos on youtube. Long story short, it didn't work out well, but I'm not sure where I went wrong.

For the base I used choclate chip cookies, 1 egg and 3 tbsp melted butter.

For the mix I used 2 x packs of Philly, 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup flour, 3 x eggs and 1 tbsp vanilla. Mixed it all but found after I put in the 3rd egg the mix turned too liquid (recipe asked for 4 eggs). Anyway, battled on and added 1/2 tbsp of coco for the craic.

Had the oven on 160 degrees and was planning to bake for 40 mins as per recipe. When I checked on it at 30mins, the edges had gotten very brown. I immediately took it out and allowed it to cool completely before leaving it in the fridge over night. When we tried it, it tasted OK but it was extremely firm. Not very smooth and soft like cheesecake should be :rolleyes:

Where did I go wrong? Should I just stick to non bake recipes? Or stay out of the kitchen altogether? Thanks for the advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

kkelly77 wrote: »
    Should stay out of the kitchen altogether?

Ya, do that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wibbles19

Leave it until the edges start to crack then turn off the oven and leave it in to go cold (this stops the cracking on the top) and then into the fridge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

I made my first cheesecake ever, after researching 'how to' videos on youtube. Long story short, it didn't work out well, but I'm not sure where I went wrong.

For the base I used choclate chip cookies, 1 egg and 3 tbsp melted butter.

For the mix I used 2 x packs of Philly, 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup flour, 3 x eggs and 1 tbsp vanilla. Mixed it all but found after I put in the 3rd egg the mix turned too liquid (recipe asked for 4 eggs). Anyway, battled on and added 1/2 tbsp of coco for the craic.

Had the oven on 160 degrees and was planning to bake for 40 mins as per recipe. When I checked on it at 30mins, the edges had gotten very brown. I immediately took it out and allowed it to cool completely before leaving it in the fridge over night. When we tried it, it tasted OK but it was extremely firm. Not very smooth and soft like cheesecake should be :rolleyes:

Where did I go wrong? Should I just stick to non bake recipes? Or stay out of the kitchen altogether? Thanks for the advice.

if i remember right i dont think baked cheesecakes are as soft as a normal one their a bit denser, if you try the recipe again maybe cover the top with a bit of tinfoil after 25 mins and leave it in for the full 40 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

Not sure where you went wrong but I know this one is nice...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/baileysandchocolatec_72293

Never give up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Thanks for the advice. The recipe I used (and several others I saw) look for sour/double cream, which I didn't have. Thought this might have had something to do with it.

Think I'll stick with the non bake recipes. Can't mess it up too bad then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Did it ask for sour cream or double cream? They're very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Acoshla wrote: »
    Did it ask for sour cream or double cream? They're very different.

Sour cream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Ok well sour cream can't be replaced with regular cream, they're totally different in terms of consistency and flavour. Next time follow the recipe and it'll turn out ok, baking is a science with chemical equations and accurate instructions, you can't substitute ingredients you have for ingredients it calls for, use the proper ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

to keep it light separate the eggs, whisk the whites til they're stiff and fold them in just before you bake

to keep it moist cook it in a ban marie- wrap the tin in a double layer of tinfoil (if its loose bottomed, otherwise no need), put it inside a larger tin and pour in boiling water 2/3 of the way up the side. when its finished baking turn the oven off, leave the door open and let it cool inside the oven

also use a conventional (not fan forced) oven to stop it sinking

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Where did I go wrong?

You didn't follow the recipe.;)

And, yes, baked cheesecake is a different texture to regular cheese cake.

This recipe works very well for me. I did use Greek style yoghurt instead of soured cream and vanilla seeds instead of extract.

I can't imagine that the cocoa would do anything for it either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement