Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody shopping in the sales ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Slksht

A lot of folks seem to think that shops hold sales for the customers. This is well off the mark!

Shops hold sales to get rid of excess stock from the previous season, nit fir the laugh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

michellie wrote: »
    I went into town this morning looking for 2 dresses for 2 nights out over the next 2 weeks and nearly lost the will to live. They have some serious crap in them shops, I've never seen it so bad!

I got one dress in the shop next to warehouse in shaws(can't remember what its called) and that was in the sale and they actually had some lovely stuff, But im gona have to go elsewhere to get another dress :(

Wear the same dress at both nights out... Problem solved

therefore anyone at the both nights out will be able to say "Wow there's the fine looking lady in that beautiful dress I noticed 2 weeks ago" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

No I couldnt do that haha, one of the nights is my mams 50th, def need 2 dresses !

Slksht wrote: »
    A lot of folks seem to think that shops hold sales for the customers. This is well off the mark!

Shops hold sales to get rid of excess stock from the previous season, nit fir the laugh!!

Yes and in order to get rid of the stock they have to reduce it in price, which in turn attracts the Customer...

michellie wrote: »
    No I couldnt do that haha, one of the nights is my mams 50th, def need 2 dresses !

lol get your drift :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

dayshah wrote: »
    I'm not surprised. They were named and shamed for tax evasion too. Just the sort of business that drives customers away from shopping locally.

www.revenue.ie/en/press/defaulters/archive/q404-2.pdf

Ah I see. Well I didn't have a lot of money coming up to Christmas but I was planning on buying 2 pairs of boots (black and brown pair) and shoes for work, even if they weren't all on sale, but after seeing that it's turned me right off shopping in there altogether
    dayshah wrote: »
    Yeah, the Altitude sale is notoriously busy. Best to scope out the place the week before Christmas to see if there is anything you'd like, and then move in for the kill after Christmas.

You wouldn't go hiking in the mountains without the necessary preparation, and the same goes for the Altitude sale :)

Haha, no wonder I can never find anything in a sale, I'm going to have to start prep like this :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

Decent Jeans in Gregory's on Patrick Street for €30 if anyone is interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I haven't really lived in Waterford since I left school and went away to college a number of years back, and as usual I had a look around the shops and town over Christmas when I was home for a few days.

I must say that this year in particular I was struck with how poor Waterford's offering looked this year on the retail front. Most of the shops seemed to have become very dated and shabby. City Square has certainly seen better days.

Elvery's for example. Going upstairs feels like going up into a converted attic in someone's house with the creaky floorboards. Downstairs there is barely room for two people to pass each other never mind look at the rails.

At this point I think Waterford has really fallen behind all of the other cities and many of the regional towns. Even places like Newbridge and Arklow have new shopping centres and properly laid out stores.

I don't know what is the way forward - and I'm not sure if the people of Waterford have the money either to keep the shops going, but it looks pretty grim to me as almost an outsider looking in.

Advertisement