Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonic Generations - have to be online?

Options
  • 26-12-2011 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi - gaming newbie here so small words please. Santa brought my 9yr old Sonic Generations for Pc. I saw it said on the back that we'd need a steam account - first time I'd hear of steam but it implied on the wee blurb that it would just be for updates. We generally just do stuff like club penguin or lego pc games. Our internet connection leaves much to be desired so the whole point in getting games on disc rather than club penguin is to be independant of the connection. So anyway yesterday I signed up for that and then had to face into a 9 hour download. Thought I was doing something wrong but saw on here that there were issues with their sale so just sucked it up.

This morning he wants to play. Reboot, take out and stick in the disc again and it says Play Sonic - go to play and it wants the effin internet again. And says then when I do connect that i'm not connected properly.

Should I have to be on the internet to actually play? And secondly, I have an O2 dongle - it's not superfast but it's ok - any other reason why I can't get on? I feel like it shouldn't be this difficult, when we have the actual disc of the game. DS wondering why Santa brought such a ridiculous game!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Steam is designed so that you are always online. This is the idea that gaming is a service where you can chat to and play with friends and publishers can avoid piracy. The disk is redundant you can log into any PC and access your games since they're tied to your steam account and not the disk.

However there is an offline mode. To enable it you need to first be online, run the game. Then restart Steam in offline mode from the file menu. Disconnect from the internet and the steam icon in the system tray will turn partially red. You should be able to play the game without Internet now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

5uspect wrote: »
    However there is an offline mode. To enable it you need to first be online, run the game. Then restart Steam in offline mode from the file menu. Disconnect from the internet and the steam icon in the system tray will turn partially red. You should be able to play the game without Internet now.

I dont think you even need to be online and switch to offline. tried it there, unplugged my wireless adaptor and tried Steam, after a second it gave me a "retry or Start in offline" option.

brcwatters, if the young fella is gonna play just unplug the adaptor first and Steam will boot to a mode with just the library of games (which is probably just Sonic Generations). I know the game doesnt have an online mode so shouldnt act up without a connection.

Dunno if it works, but if you still havent installed the full game, run Steam in offline like above and try then. Should install from the disc as it priorotises internet over disc installs for updates. Not 100% on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭brcwatters

Thanks guys. As it happens the connection started to work for no apparent reason and we got going. Not sure how and why it wasn't working in the first place. It was offering that button for play in offline mode but wouldn't let me, maybe because I wasn't installed totally at that stage? Anyway, got installed and started playing but didn't try disconnecting internet as just wanted him to get on. Would like to get it to work offline but have had enough of it all for now so will try again later on. Will update to let you know, thanks!:pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Nollog

You need to be online the first time you want to use offline mode.
    After that it doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭brcwatters

ok, cool - thanks! that's what i was hoping for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement