Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Sale -Check your Receipts - Absolutely Half Price or less is not True

Options
  • 26-12-2011 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭

I am just back from the Next Shop in the Pavillions.

Went there with my daughter at 7' ish as an Xmas event and bought some items and paid.

Anyway, having come out of the shop we checked our purchases and one of the items a pair of jeans clocked in at 37 euro the full price.

These were clearly on the sales rails and when she picked them up they were 7.50 or so.The price tag had got detatched or something.

Now while I could have got the money back - this type of thing is very sharp practice and is very naughty.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

chances are some customer tried them on or was carrying them around the shop thinking of buying them and then decided they didn't want them so just stuck the jeans on the closest rail to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

It is very very unlikely to be the case. What are the chances of a customer doing that in a 6 a.m. Boxing Day sale at 7 a.m. in the morning ?

I always do a mental tot buying in sales and there was a sale tag attached that became detached more than likely at the tills. Myself & my OH shop a lot.

There was a similar pair of jeans ,right size , wrong colour marked down to half price too.

In the Next Sales the fitting rooms are closed and its about shifting stock from the stock rooms so the amount of full price items are minimal.

I work in marketing & sales and this is advertised as a "half price event" and that is what it is being run as.

From what the staff member showed me they may have some full price stock out there placed on the half price rails.

So it may be the case that this is deliberate placing full price stock on the sale rails and that would be misleading and wrong.

I just wonder what experiences other people have had ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Next have an excellent returns policy, so it's quite easy to go back within 28 days and get things sorted. If you haven't already gotten it sorted, then you should do so.

I'm a big fan of the Next sale, as it's great for workwear, and I've personally never experienced an error there. I'd be inclined to put it down to error.

I was a bit surprised and it wasn't the dosh cos I paid and did what my OH does and checked the receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have to say, this does happen. when reducing items for the sake the assistant scans the item, then attaches a tag to each item. Looks like the item was mixed up between a batch of similar looking jeans. In a normal shop when you scan the item you'd spot it but sales are processed so fast on 1st day of sale, it slipped through.

• Advertisement

What I thought from dealing with the customer service person is that full price items were placed on the sales rails, which are often just wheeled into place on the day.

The Next Sales are run very precisely and that is the bit sharp , if not a bit deceptive, if that is the practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

They would not have purposely left the full price clothes out. It is however, very easy for the odd thing to get caught up by mistake and left with the stuff that is on sale.

Or when the store was preparing for the sale on Christmas Eve a customer could have put it on the sales rail.

Also, depending on what time it was at the store could have started putting full price stuff out on different rails if the store was starting to run out of sales stock and a customer could have put it in the sales rack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

CDfm wrote: »
    It is very very unlikely to be the case. What are the chances of a customer doing that in a 6 a.m. Boxing Day sale at 7 a.m. in the morning ?

The Pavillions move to England recently....???

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MangoLime

Hi I work for Next and since we have sooooooooooooooo much stock, now and again the odd full price item can get mixed into the sale stuff-things are crazy the night before trying to get everything ready!

If the sale ticket is still attached to the item and you have your receipt then just bring the jeans and your receipt into the store and they can refund you the difference.

Hope that helps!

Jeez, that makes me sound like a grumpy old man but my college going urchin got a lesson on checking receipts etc.

The girl who handled the complaint left me with the impression that full price items were mixed with sale items. That's what left me with the idea that its deliberate and because I paid by cash and not card I noticed.

Anyway, the young wan still might look for a refund to stretch the money over several items either there or elsewhere.

@jack presley - sorry for the faux pas as a culchie in dublin i never know what to call it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 silentfox

It honestly just looks like a simple error. Nothing malicious about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Sure I found a H&M t-shirt on the sales rack in New Look today. Mistakes happen, this sounds like a genuine one.

Maybe they do, but the customer service lady showed us that it was more than one pair of jeans of full price on the sales rail.

Why would she do that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

The stock that goes on sale is not an individual store decision. The exact same stock will be on sale starting on the same day in ALL stores in Ireland AND the UK. It is a huge operation in stores like Next who live for these sales- there are bound to be mistakes somewhere along the line, even in much smaller sales there are. Sometimes you can have one colour on sale and the other colours not- tiny things like that that can catch staff out. There is no way that the central message from Head Office is to put full price stuff on the sale rails and price it down without it actually being reduced at all, and no bracnh has the power to make a decision like that. Unusual amount of refunds on the same product/or price overrides to the price shown will show up centrally.

This was a stupid mistake. They should have been scanned and verified before being priced down- this is different to a customer placing a full price (no reduced sticker) item on a sale rail which happens all the time and causes murder. Nevertheless, a chain store is not going to have malicious policies like that. Not worth the hassle- all the refunds and price overrides- most people would notice at the till, never mind checking the receipt afterwards.

Advertisement