Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending Wifi Signal

Options
  • 26-12-2011 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a bunch of new stuff in my living room that I want to connect to the internet. My problem is that I'm using my cheap eircom Zyxel router which is at the opposite side of the house and the wifi signal is very weak.

I bought a TP-Link wireless access point (TL-WA901ND) to try and solve the problem but I'm getting nowhere with it. I'm a real newb with stuff like this, before buying it I didn't even realise there was a difference between an access point, a bridge and a wireless bridge. I was lucky though because the box said it could do all of those things.

I did manage to get it sort of working but not the way I wanted. Basically, just to see if I could get it to do anything at all, I copied a sample setup from the manual. I plugged the access point into my eircom router and managed to connect a laptop wireless to the network through the new AP instead of the wireless router (I did a ping test to the eircom router and got normal results) but I couldn't use it to connect to the internet for some reason.

Anyway, first thing is first, what mode do I need to put this in? Basically there are a few things in the living room (TV, Sonos, sometimes tablet, phones and laptops) that I want to give a decent wireless connection to. Should it be in Access Point, Bridge, Repeater or Client mode?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Run a cable, streaming media over wireless won't work well. Wireless "g" won't cope with full HD anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Run a cable, streaming media over wireless won't work well. Wireless "g" won't cope with full HD anyway

The only media I'm streaming is music and maybe occasional pictures. At the moment, when in range it works perfectly fine. Running a cable is completely out of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Shame to waste the TL-WA901ND but have you considered moving the Zyxel closer to the living room ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Shame to waste the TL-WA901ND but have you considered moving the Zyxel closer to the living room ?

Have actually but it's currently wired to a desktop computer as well as a switch connected to a bunch of other things (e.g. NAS, Playstation). I would have liked to do it but it doesn't seem very practical.

Advertisement