Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Used iPhones Ireland

• 26-12-2011 11:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hello
    Does anyone know of a good place to get a second hand iPhone? I can't afford a new one :( so am looking at alternatives, any help appreciated! :-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I bought a used one on adverts.ie a couple of years ago. Loads on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

mary_hayes wrote: »
    Hello
    Does anyone know of a good place to get a second hand iPhone? I can't afford a new one :( so am looking at alternatives, any help appreciated! :-)

An iPhone is just a brand name, it's really nothing special. Many Android phones are half the price and do the same functions (and more).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

thread moved to apple media devices. be sure to read their rules. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Oh great another Android bore has to get their oar in when it's not asked for. Back in the cloakroom with you.

Adverts, DoneDeal and eBay are probably your best bet. Be careful and check seller feedback before you make an offer, and test the phone thoroughly before you part with any cash. If they seem dodgy then walk away as you will probably end up with a blocked imei if it's reported stolen down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Arciphel wrote: »
    Oh great another Android bore has to get their oar in when it's not asked for. Back in the cloakroom with you.

To be fair this was on a different forum when that was posted

• Advertisement

Adverts, DoneDeal and eBay are probably your best bet. Be careful and check seller feedback before you make an offer, and test the phone thoroughly before you part with any cash. If they seem dodgy then walk away as you will probably end up with a blocked imei if it's reported stolen down the line.

WTF? I fail to see the advantage of buying a second hand iPhone anything because you can't afford the price of a new one, especially when there are many other affordable ones on the market that carry out the same functions for a lot less money.

Also, well done on getting your oar in and failing to read the opening post
    Hello
    Does anyone know of a good place to get a second hand iPhone? I can't afford a new one :(so am looking at alternatives, any help appreciated! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

As I've found when selling my iPhone that's quite hard to do thanks to Apple. When you restore it it's going to be as new so you'll need to sign in so the only screen you can really access is the one which lets you select your country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

Buy new if you can. I bought my phone secondhand off donedeal (android). It was a o2 phone but I was meteor - would it play ball with meteor would it hell. I had to switch to Vodafone. I certainly wouldn't recommend apple, from my experience they're far too restrictive with encryption and other anal restrictions.

Galen wrote: »
    Buy new if you can. I bought my phone secondhand off donedeal (android). It was a o2 phone but I was meteor - would it play ball with meteor would it hell. I had to switch to Vodafone. I certainly wouldn't recommend apple, from my experience they're far too restrictive with encryption and other anal restrictions.

I bought a vodafone Galaxy S2 off adverts for €300 (whereas shop price is 500+), unlocked it and rooted it myself. Nothing went wrong, every case is different! :cool:

LukeS_ wrote: »
    I bought a vodafone Galaxy S2 off adverts for €300 (whereas shop price is 500+), unlocked it and rooted it myself. Nothing went wrong, every case is different! :cool:

Yes, but you have no warranty now. New with a warranty will always be worth more

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Yes, but you have no warranty now. New with a warranty will always be worth more

I do actually. Once I have the serial I've got warranty with Samsung (I've checked) and it's on the house insurance anyway. And if you're talking about the rooting, all I need is a USB jig to sort that problem out!

LukeS_ wrote: »
    I do actually. Once I have the serial I've got warranty with Samsung (I've checked) and it's on the house insurance anyway. And if you're talking about the rooting, all I need is a USB jig to sort that problem out!

I meant rooting, and technically you have no warranty until you un-root, which if you're having problems may not be possible.

I meant rooting, and technically you have no warranty until you un-root, which if you're having problems may not be possible.

I've actually heard of a few cases on XDA of Samsung keeping their word with warranty, even with rooted phones. After-all Samsung did send the CyanogenMod team a Galaxy S II. :rolleyes:

But once you have a slight notion of what you're doing, and you can follow instructions the chances of bricking your phone are very slim. I've flashed one ROM which I'm happy with, so I don't see the need to ever update, making the possibilities even slimmer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Another 6 posts about Android handsets, the OP will be delighted with all the advice about where to buy a secondhand iPhone ::rolleyes::

Another 6 posts about Android handsets, the OP will be delighted with all the advice about where to buy a secondhand iPhone ::rolleyes::

Well it's sort of obvious; dodgy but for the most part legit Chinese phone shops, Adverts, Buy and Sell, Gumtree, Donedeal and what ever other trading websites are out there. ;)

................or alternatives, you keep forgetting that part.

If it were me I'd like something new with a warranty, not secondhand with the chance of getting a brick

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

................or alternatives, you keep forgetting that part.

If it were me I'd like something new with a warranty, not secondhand with the chance of getting a brick

Alternatives to buying an iPhone new, it looks like to me, i.e. secondhand?:confused:

whiterebel wrote: »

Alternatives to buying an iPhone new, it looks like to me, i.e. secondhand?:confused:

It was originally posted on the mobiles/pda forum, not the Apple one, a mod moved it here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It was originally posted on the mobiles/pda forum, not the Apple one, a mod moved it here.

I'm talking about the wording, nothing to do where it was originally posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

@mods.....Move the thread back ?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    I'm talking about the wording, nothing to do where it was originally posted.

I fail to see how an affordable phone that has all the functions of an iPhone at much less cost isn't an alternative :confused:

And it's not limited to Android, there are many smartphone options that won't break the bank, like Windows Phone and Blackberrys, I only post Android as an option as I've got one, I've no hands on experience with either of those 2 but they do the exact same functions and are certainly affordable. Of course no other option is valid once the thread moved in here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

adverts.ie as suggested.
    Always meet in person and inspect the phone before handing dosh over.

OP asked specifically for an iPhone, I don't see why every Android head suddenly jumps on this thread. Where was this thread before, the Ando forum?

biko wrote: »
    OP asked specifically for an iPhone, I don't see why every Android head suddenly jumps on this thread. Where was this thread before, the Ando forum?

If you read the opening post the op asks about secondhand iphones "or alternatives". It was posted in the mobile/pda forum and moved here
    Hello

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Surely all the iPhone bashing should have stopped when it came to this forum as per the forum charter, no?

Owen wrote: »
    Surely all the iPhone bashing should have stopped when it came to this forum as per the forum charter, no?

Nobody bashed the iPhone when the thread moved, it was just stated that there are alternatives to buying a second hand iPhone. It may be better to get something else that does the same job from a reputable store, new, with a warranty. It's an alternative, like they asked for.......

(I should quote your original post before you ninja edited ;) back seat modding is also against the rules)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

(I should quote your original post before you ninja edited ;) back seat modding is also against the rules)

Which is why I deleted it and posted a new one. To be fair, you have been rather anti-iPhone though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Purchased off ebay many times for second hand iphones from the uk.
    Make sure they are unlocked, Jailbroken and read the listings carefully regarding returns and condition of the phone before purchasing. Ask more questions if anything is not listed that you are wondering ie battery life etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Pixie Chief

Not to add fuel to the fire but I am also looking for a secondhand iPhone as mine is locked to meteor, expensive contract, zero signal of any kind so will need one on another network and can't afford new until finished paying off this contract. Was hoping to find a shop type source and have searched quite a few forums now. All threads seem to lead same way - done deal, adverts and sure why do you want an iPhone anyway, they're just a brand name and android phones do the same thing. I work off 2 iMacs in different locations and for me an android phone will not do the same things that an iPhone will. It's not all meek, tame, apple whipped submission a la fifty shades....sometimes people really do need an iPhone!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Pixie Chief

Gah, just realised how old this thread is! Sorry, sorry, sorry....can only blame stress from loss of iPhone functionality....stupid android phone, it's all your fault!

• Advertisement
Advertisement