Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Earbuds (Again)... Recommendations

• 26-12-2011 12:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

I'll put it this way: I've been through something like 18 pair's of earbuds in the last 3 years. I've owned a few pairs of the Apple earphones, A pair of the Sennheiser CX400's, 8 pairs of the Sennheiser CX300 (all replaced under warranty, in the space of a year), and 3 pairs of Klipsch Image S4's (The retailer won't replace them anymore, Klipsch UK are a joke to try and get in contact with, and I'm trying my best with Klipsch USA but it's not looking good). I would call myself an average user, using them 3-4 times a day on the bus to school etc etc. I absolutely loved the Image S4's, and combined with the Beats software on my Sensation, sounded amazing.

So after the last pair broke, I'm possible looking for a bulletproof pair of earbuds, that have good sound quality for less than €100. Absolutely love my treble BTW :P Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

If you broke 18 pairs in that time period then you're probably not caring for them properly. I've got models that have supposed build problems or are delicate but with care they last for ages. My Head direct re0 survived a trip in the washing machine and my dba-02 have survived nights out in back pockets of jeans once in the pouch.

For recommendations that have treble then read up on the Fischer Audio DBA-02 or it's much easier to source Brainwavz B2, the two are practically identical. To really get the most out of them, perhaps consider buying tri-flange tips which gives the bass a lift and isolates brilliantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You don't need bulletproof earphones, you need to look after them properly. 18 pair's of earbuds in the last 3 years is a long way from a normal user.

Better made ones head phones will have replaceable parts. But generally not ear buds. So perhaps you should consider not using ear buds anymore.

I've not used these but something along these lines maybe...

V-Moda Crossfade LP2

http://v-moda.com/crossfade-lp2-limited-edition-matte-black/
    Military-Level Quality

Lightweight, steel construction
    Ergonomic Steelflex Headband
    Exoskeleton hard case
    Military-Level quality (MIL-STD-810G)
    Kevlar® reinforced cables (3-button, Audio Only) passes 1 million flex cycles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

Ok I may be a bit biased, but In my opinion I do look after them, as well if not better than any of my classmates would :L It always seems to be the same thing that goes (sound gone from one ear......) I do thank ye all for ye're recommendations :) The reason I do say earbuds instead of headphones, as I can't conveniently store them in my bag, where as the earbuds can go straight into my pocket :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

jwcurtin wrote: »
    the earbuds can go straight into my pocket :)

:rolleyes:

19 pairs

20 pairs

The penny drops.

cnocbui wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

19 pairs

20 pairs

The penny drops.

:D Really? But surely that couldn't cause that much damage :P I'll use the case from now on so :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

jwcurtin wrote: »
    :D Really? But surely that couldn't cause that much damage :P I'll use the case from now on so :P

This is how i wrap mine and ive had the same pair of cx300s for 2 years and ive no case and they are ****ed in my pocket or bag

This is how i wrap mine and ive had the same pair of cx300s for 2 years and ive no case and they are ****ed in my pocket or bag

That's genius, makes so much sense :) Sound out, thank you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

NTMK wrote: »

Same here. I wouldn't wrap it so tightly around the middle though. I have a few pairs of earbuds and they'd usually last a good many years. I buy decent enough pairs though. I carry them in a pouch though not loose in my pocket.

I have these
    http://mac.net.ua/news/2011/02/26/obzor-naushnikov-meelectronics-m6p-luchshij-vibor-v-nizhnej-cenovoj-kategorii.html

But I also use a small camera/mp3 bag for my MP3 player and earphones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 brenmartin1986

check out these, IRON BUDS!!!!!!!

modular, durable earbuds! gimme dat!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/legendary/earbuds-time-to-change-the-status-quo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

check out these, IRON BUDS!!!!!!!

modular, durable earbuds! gimme dat!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/legendary/earbuds-time-to-change-the-status-quo

Eh, go full headphone and avoid all the IEM problems... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Ok serious answer:

Etymotic hf2s might be worth looking at. I've hf3s (bought before I knew enough to buy hf2s), and they are good for certain genres. They either lack bass or have tightly defined neutral bass depending on who you talk to. Personally my opinion varies hugely from song to song, some songs just need a lot of bass to my ear while other quite bass heavy songs can sound perfect with the more neutral bass of the hf3s (Portishead's Glory Box as an example of the latter). I don't like them much for metal, they're ok for rock but they really shine with some classical music. Very good mids and trebles, they handle acoustic guitar and solo piano exceptionally well.

They've a very characteristic sound though, so if at all possible try to demo them first if you can. The bass is the killer for most people that hate them, personally I'm fine with them for most classical (what I was listening to when I bought them) but with metal they're just quite lacking really.

Honestly, since I got my Sennheiser HD25-IIs I've barely listened to the hf3s at all. I'd give the hf3s a slight edge in the mids especially but their performance with rock/metal versus the HD25s makes me very likely to leave them at home.

They are pricey though, and if you're going through IEMs at the rate you're going through them at, I'd really say either ditch IEMs and start looking for full size headphones since they are far less delicate or stick to cheaper IEMs.

Advertisement