Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stella, St.Patricks, Navan Road

Options
  • 26-12-2011 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

I am writing on behalf of my aunt. Years ago when she was a teenager maybe 18-19 (so approx maybe 40 years ago) herself and her friend used to visit St.Patricks orphanage on the Navan Road and bring out two sisters on day trips. One Christmas Eve they were allowed keep the children overnight I think in the view of my grandparents adopting the youngest child on my aunts behalf, the younger girl Stella who used to stay with my aunt (the older sister was staying with the my aunt's friend). Around 10pm on Christmas Eve the nuns arrived to collect Stella, they told my aunt that their mother had come to reclaim her daughters. My aunt was devastated and never heard anymore about the girls (my grandad forbade her because he didn't want her getting upset again). I think Stella was about four, but i could be wrong, my aunt only briefly spoke about it because it still hurts her. Stella had been in bed and her presents from Santa had all been laid out, so it was devastating for my aunt and I'm sure confusing for the child. She says Stella was sallow skinned.

My aunt doesn't know if the story about their mother coming to claim them was true, as there had been talks about an American family wanting to adopt and money to exchange hands for the girls. Although my grandparents home had been assessed to see if it was suitable for the child.

If anyone knows anything about this story or where Stella and her sister are I would be greatful to hear from you, as I know my aunt would like to know if Stella and her sister had a good childhood. Sorry if some information is sketchy but my aunt doesn't like to talk too much about it. As shes never married or had children and I think she feels Stella would have been her chance to have a child.

Thank you.

Advertisement