Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right, BF3 on a 4GB Xbox 360 S

Options
  • 26-12-2011 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Right so there are massive amounts of updates required for this game,, comes to over 4GB by the looks of it... What's the most straightforward solution here, can I use a standard USB external HD?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Well, you bought a 4gb hard drived xbox and wanted to take it online? -

129033851144539231.jpg

But seriously, while your xbox has a hard drive a 4gb hard drive will not realisticly get you online, you will need something higher. You can use an external hard drive but its not straight forward. As you didnt know about the 4gb hard drive not being enough to go online with then I assume you wouldnt be set to configure hard drive appropriatly to get you on that way.

Your most straight forward way around this is to buy a larger xbox hard drive ether online or in a store.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

I have been playing on line for 1.5 years with 4gb , stop the BS , it's more than possible.
    The BF3 update is 2.7gb - 2gb new maps (if you pay) and 700mb is a patch.
    I installed the whole lot of it on 4gb.

hightower1 wrote: »
    But seriously, while your xbox has a hard drive a 4gb hard drive will not realisticly get you online, you will need something higher. You can use an external hard drive but its not straight forward. As you didnt know about the 4gb hard drive not being enough to go online with then I assume you wouldnt be set to configure hard drive appropriatly to get you on that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

You can use an external hard drive but its not straight forward. As you didnt know about the 4gb hard drive not being enough to go online with then I assume you wouldnt be set to configure hard drive appropriatly to get you on that way.

Your most straight forward way around this is to buy a larger xbox hard drive ether online or in a store.

Don't assume things. I have this system for 15 months and have had no problems playing a multitude of games online up to this point.

I have a 250GB standard USB external HDD, what's involved if I want to use it? I'd say the official xbox hard drives are ridiculously priced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

you can use a usb flash drive, but the xbox only supports 16gb regardless if the usb flash drive is bigger,

i agree that 4gb is enough to play online but in reality you need more as dlc, game saves will start to eat away at your 4gb,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

zeds alive wrote: »
    I have been playing on line for 1.5 years with 4gb , stop the BS , it's more than possible.
    The BF3 update is 2.7gb - 2gb new maps (if you pay) and 700mb is a patch.
    I installed the whole lot of it on 4gb.

I have no idea where your hostility is from tbh? The lastest system update alone will have taken a massive chunk of your HDD size not taking into account game saves then DLC so I cant see how you have been getting online with a 4gb hard drive for a year and a half now on xbox live. One large game save alone would fill your HDD.

Best of luck to you. :)

Edit: and for the record if you read my post I stated it will not "realisticly get you online". Not that it was impossible but more so that if you want to actually use your xbox to save games , get updates or get DLC which is all part and parcel of gaming online you will need a bigger hard drive. My assumption that you would not know how to set up a 3rd party for xbox use comes from the fact that you didnt even know it was poss let alone that 4gb was too little to realisticly get you online. I didnt belive it would have been in spirit of your post where you looked for a simple way around this to reply with the step by step to format a HDD correctly as no explination of that is simple. My answer was exactly what you were looking for ... the least hassle free way of realisticly getting you online on xbox live yet you then call it "BS"?

You dont know if you can use a 3rd party HDD - a google search will tell you that.
    You dont know that 4gb will not covr you for saves, updates and dlc - a google search will again answer that.

Ergo - you cant get answers to simple questions readily availble to you via google then the easiest solution for you is to buy a larger HDD. Simple is a relative term and it was relative to you based on the information you supplied by a matter of the question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

I have no idea where your hostility is from tbh? The lastest system update alone will have taken a massive chunk of your HDD size not taking into account game saves then DLC so I cant see how you have been getting online with a 4gb hard drive for a year and a half now on xbox live. One large game save alone would fill your HDD.

no hostility , just calling you 'matter of fact' way of wording your post, BS

I got BF3 Update and Map pack installed with all my save games running perfectly on my xbox , playing on line perfectly.
    The biggest save game I ever encountered was 27mb not near the 4gb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

I have a 16gb usb cruzer stick used with my 4gb console. Loads of space for my needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Sure you can't even play the game in HD on the 4Gb system. The 4Gb model should be dropped. It's useless tbh. Bring back the old 20Gb as a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Sure you can't even play the game in HD on the 4Gb system. The 4Gb model should be dropped. It's useless tbh. Bring back the old 20Gb as a minimum.
    For alot of families and young children it is plenty, making blanket statements like that is silly. Just because you think it is useless does not mean it is for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Meesared wrote: »
    For alot of families and young children it is plenty, making blanket statements like that is silly. Just because you think it is useless does not mean it is for everyone

Not really, in fairness it is limiting. The OP is obviously not a child, and it is a clear disadvantage that he can't play the game in HD, which is the way it was designed to be played, do he has to settle for a lesser visual experience even though he purchased a new model Xbox 360, which is a bit ridiculous. Also not sure if they fixed the Xbox picking up the 4GB as a removable drive, my housemate fell victim to it and discovered that we could not play Halo Co-op together as the game picked up his xbox as having no hard drive. I think overall, the 4GB model is a very unwise purchase, and would never recommend it to anyone, kids or otherwise, because sooner or later someone will run into some kind of issue.

For example the OP, the 4GB may have been OK until now, but suddenly with BF3, the 4GB isn't really enough, simply because the new dash/DLC/Updates/etc eats into that 4GB, leaving insufficient space for much else, let alone the huge HD texture pack, which can't be installed to an external drive....I agree with the poster above, 20GB should have been the minimum HD size, creating the 4GB model was a stupid decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Basically my point was that if the OP wants to play BF3 in HD, he needs to buy a new hard drive, which is a bit ludicrious considering the 4GB is a current gen Xbox model released recently, and it can't even play select games to the standard it can on the premium models. MS should have gone with the 20GB, at which point you'd never be in danger of encountering such problems. BF3 doesn't even detect the 4GB model as having a hard drive! Just removable storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

There has always been a smaller capacity model, and I know of plenty of people who the 4GB suits down to the ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

the 4gb is a hindrance and so was the arcade model that was originally released with no hdd,

games have suffered as they had to be optimised to work on systems with no hdd where this was not a issue with the original xbox as it came with a hdd,
    if you cannot see this a valid argument for scrapping the 4gb (which will never happen as there commited) then there is no point in even discussing it anymore,

Advertisement