Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Belgrade

• 26-12-2011 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

going to pop over to belgrade next week, what are the best things to do baring in mind its going to be cold and only have 2 days to explore.
    Im familiar with balkan culture and not interested in the nightlife which I hear is the main draw there. Anything strange to see?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I was In Belgrade a few years ago for a football match. Its not that touristy. We went to see Titos Mausoleum which is really interesting. Theres also Belgrade Fortress (Kalemegdan Fortress) which is very impressive and overlooks the Danube and Sava Rivers. For some reasons we never made it into the national museum or Cathedral which is in the centre of town.

It can be hard to find your way around the city as the signposts were all in cyrillic. We walked to the Red Star Stadium for the game and on the way we saw the buildings that had been bombed by NATO aircraft (non military targets - TV station). I'm not at home for christmas but when i get back I can get you the name of the street if you want to see the bomb damage.

The Bradt book to Serbia is very good. I think I still have it if you want some restaurant reccomendations.

Serbs are very very friendly like all the peoples of the Balkans except for those who work in hotels for some reason :p

And dont stare at the women!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

cheers, i totally forgot they used cyrillic, luckily my gf knows it ;) id be interested in some bomb damage but i thought belgrade didnt see much action. (i went to vukovar before which i think was the most damaged town in the war but they had built the whole damn thing again so evidence was scarce!) i dont like the balkan food so ill just grab some stuff from supermarkets or something.
    sounds like there is enough to see for 1or 2 days alright but not much more. i heard the gypsie presence is annoying there and you have to watch your belongings all the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

adamski8 wrote: »
    cheers, i totally forgot they used cyrillic, luckily my gf knows it ;) id be interested in some bomb damage but i thought belgrade didnt see much action. (i went to vukovar before which i think was the most damaged town in the war but they had built the whole damn thing again so evidence was scarce!) i dont like the balkan food so ill just grab some stuff from supermarkets or something.
    sounds like there is enough to see for 1or 2 days alright but not much more. i heard the gypsie presence is annoying there and you have to watch your belongings all the time?

No problems with belongings when I was there. Meat can be a test alright in Belgrade but their salads are fantastic.

Advertisement