Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condensation in attic

• 26-12-2011 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭

I had an attic stairs fitted earlier in the year, and so it's the first time I've ever gone into the attic in the winter.
    The house is about 10 years old, and I had the attic floor re insulated about two years ago.

A couple of days ago I noticed a large amount of condensation on the inside of the roof, formed on the felt. For the most part it was not heavy enough to drip onto the attic floor but there were drips in parts. It was not a particularly cold day, maybe 5 or so degrees outside.

Should I be worried about this, or is it a common occurence?
    Is there a lack of air circulation in the attic, and would this likely cause damage to the timber in the long term?

I would appreciate any advice/ thoughts.

Attached a couple of pics.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭hop2it

I had the same problem with last house about 10 years ago it turned out to be lack of air flow we installed two vented tiles in the roof and it solved the problem for us
    hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭horse7

yes,definately you need more air circulating in your attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

hop2it wrote: »
    I had the same problem with last house about 10 years ago it turned out to be lack of air flow we installed two vented tiles in the roof and it solved the problem for us
    hope this helps

Was it a big job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

Have you checked the eve's to make sure the insulation isn't in the vents? Remember the vents allow air into the attic so make sure the insulation isn't blocking the vents at the end of the rafters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Gareth2011 wrote: »
    Have you checked the eve's to make sure the insulation isn't in the vents? Remember the vents allow air into the attic so make sure the insulation isn't blocking the vents at the end of the rafters.

Checked that, they are clear. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭creedp

Checked that, they are clear. Thanks.

Make sure your attic door/stairs is well sealed as warm moist air escaping into the cold attic will result in condensation on the attic. The more ventilation you have in the attic the better to remove this condensation but sealing the attic entrance will cut down on the amount of condensation in the first place.

Advertisement