Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldo shoes and rip off ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Skopzz wrote: »

That's no excuse for higher prices... We are in a different currency too.

Oh, and you want to know why they have the worst chance to succeed? Because of you.

But Ireland is a house of cards. Consumers deserve better. They will shop wherever it's cheaper.

This post depresses me, not because of anything to do with prices, but because my taxes are being used to educate this calibre of third level student.

I should know better at this stage because as maxer posted, you have never once been right, I suspect (and in a way hope) that you are sitting at your computer laughing at taking the mick out of the readers on this forum, I hope these are not your real opinions or else I dispair for your lecturers.

In case you are serious, I will point out a few things about your post.

1. There is an excuse for higher prices as has been pointed out to you God knows how many times. Vat/wages/rents/rates/smaller market/less competition etc, etc, etc.

2. We are indeed a different currency, the exchange rate was .97sterling to 1€ at one time, now it is .82sterling to €1. This means UK goods are poorer value relative to us here or our goods are better value relative to there. You claim to be a currency expert so the importance of this should not be lost on you.

3 . Not sure what your next paragraph means, it is gobbledygook.

4. "Ireland is a house of cards", perhaps you could give us an educated explanation of the meaning of this statement and it's context relative to the price of Aldo shoes now that you have again hijacked a thread and led it off on a tangent with daft posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

maxer68 wrote: »
    I'm not saying its an excuse for higher prices. As I have said time and time and time again. I cannot see any discernible price difference between north & south of Ireland, between Ireland and UK, between Ireand and continemtal europe when you take an OVERALL picture.

Of course there's odd products, of course there's different types & styles of shops that have different costs. But when you look at your overall spend on the SAME products and the smae quality, there is no discernible difference. That why there was feck all southern Irish shopping in NI this year - Newry chamber of commerce said taht except for their natural catchment area within the republic, there was no benefit from southern Ireland shoppers this year.

Facts always speak louder than your BS posts.

But theres no such thing as "southern Ireland" - only british people say that.

Besides they have a lot to lose economically by not attracting Irish shoppers to their stores here in Ireland.

If it is better and cheaper than what I can get in the 26 counties I will buy it.

Once the rip-off retailers are out and a stable, pro-business climate is established, and Gormley's anti-business laws are unwound companies will return to investing in capital equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

parsi wrote: »
    It's the same old really.

If we drop the costs to Uk levels then we can get UK prices.

So drop the dole, drop the children's allowance and bring in a poll tax (circa 2Kby all accounts).

Oh, and raise petrol/disel to Uk levels.

And don't forget the Old Age Pension. It's €230 a week here and only £105 (€126!) in the UK.

Prices here are more expensive in Ireland as people earn more here - whether that be through actual work or sitting on their asses and getting it from the Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭SAHMOM

To be fair to retailers re: the exchange rate and marking out £ prices.....Retailers have to pay the exchange rate ontop of the vat which is higher to the UK and the cost of shipping so even though that price was above the exchange rate, I think the buyer got a pretty good deal. The £ price is marked out in most english retailers trading in Ireland because of the same misconception you had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

But theres no such thing as "southern Ireland" - only british people say that.

Besides they have a lot to lose economically by not attracting Irish shoppers to their stores here in Ireland.

If it is better and cheaper than what I can get in the 26 counties I will buy it.

Once the rip-off retailers are out and a stable, pro-business climate is established, and Gormley's anti-business laws are unwound companies will return to investing in capital equipment.

1. Southern Ireland is a well used phrase when comparing Northern Ireland the the well eh Southern part. 26 counties is by far a worse and less explained phrase.

2. Prices in NI are the same as prices in UK - I don't think tesco in essex gives a damn about any tesco store in Ireland.

3. What on earth has Gormley ever had to do with business? IMO, Ireland is one of the easiest places to set up a business. Very little red tape, huge number of places giving help, very easy to rake on staff and let them go if not up to the mark. Ireland is as pro-businessa s you can get. That's fromt eh horse's mouth!

Your mutterings are really going into la la land at this stage.

• Advertisement

maxer68 wrote: »
    1. Southern Ireland is a well used phrase when comparing Northern Ireland the the well eh Southern part. 26 counties is by far a worse and less explained phrase.

2. Prices in NI are the same as prices in UK - I don't think tesco in essex gives a damn about any tesco store in Ireland.

3. What on earth has Gormley ever had to do with business? IMO, Ireland is one of the easiest places to set up a business. Very little red tape, huge number of places giving help, very easy to rake on staff and let them go if not up to the mark. Ireland is as pro-businessa s you can get. That's fromt eh horse's mouth!

Your mutterings are really going into la la land at this stage.

Unfortunately you don't understand the correct pharses of Ireland (as might be expected from a British person).

The 26 counties is a well-used phrase here when referring to the Republic while the 6 counties is used to describe the north of Ireland. The 6 counties has people and supporters standing in line to hand us their money for practically free. Look at the population change over the last 40 years. Now compare that to the once dominant anti-Irish crowd that is now becoming the minority

What is emerging is a story that is going to end badly for the UK. You have been run out of other people's land before. It's called annexation and it doesn't work.

Unfortunately you don't understand the correct pharses of Ireland (as might be expected from a British person).

The 26 counties is a well-used phrase here when referring to the Republic while the 6 counties is used to describe the north of Ireland. The 6 counties has people and supporters standing in line to hand us their money for practically free. Look at the population change over the last 40 years. Now compare that to the once dominant anti-Irish crowd that is now becoming the minority

What is emerging is a story that is going to end badly for the UK. You have been run out of other people's land before. It's called annexation and it doesn't work.

Dudara you have got to do something about this sectarian simpleton.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

This (as usual) has nothing to do with rip off Ireland/retail/consumers whatsoever. All it does is show the very warped perspective you seem to have for your home country.

As an aside, I as an Irish person have never used the 26/6 county phrase you claim is so well used. It's always been Northern/Southern Ireland to me, and many others, including my partner who grew up 3 miles from the border. You wouldn't last a minute in the place if you expressed yourself as you do in your posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

I can assure you I am 100% Irish, my father is 100% Irish, my grandparents were 100% Irish.

I notice in other threads your pedantic nature in describing areas. Get over it - life is far too short for that type of crap from anyone.

My guess is yopu'r still young - still don't understand how the world works and still angry at something or someone in the past. Move on and try to smile a little. Life CAN be fun!

WOW!!! well that has gone off tandem from the orginal post!!! :rolleyes:
    Just to put my spoke in...I'm 100% Irish and would refer to Southern and Northern Ireland. Think most people do.....quicker than saying "the 6 counties" Can also tell you I have family in Donegal and they would say Northern Ireland :D

• Advertisement

This (as usual) has nothing to do with rip off Ireland/retail/consumers whatsoever. All it does is show the very warped perspective you seem to have for your home country.

As an aside, I as an Irish person have never used the 26/6 county phrase you claim is so well used. It's always been Northern/Southern Ireland to me, and many others, including my partner who grew up 3 miles from the border. You wouldn't last a minute in the place if you expressed yourself as you do in your posts.

Well that would be worth seeing!! I doubt if you have the ability to beat an egg let alone your 'partner'.

You haven't a clue what your talking about. Hardly a regularly used phrase in Ireland. Just a partitionist word. Big words when you're sitting in front of a computer. As I said before a cowardly poster trying to incite bigotry. A bit like you really, hiding behind your user name. Try sitting beside me and say that. Wait, you're too busy bragging about your miserable life.

BTW I love the shops in the 6 counties that read FAILTE on the entrances.

SAHMOM wrote: »
    I'm 100% Irish and would refer to Southern and Northern Ireland. Think most people do.....

But they don't.

davo10 wrote: »

I've reported you for trying to insult me.

well I can't account for whom you talk too...but people I know do, Southern Ireland and Northern :rolleyes:

I'm new to this forum, but it's obvious from other posters that you have a chip on your back about Irish Retail in general......Don't think your input is relative to the thread

SAHMOM wrote: »
    well I can't account for whom you talk too...but people I know do, Southern Ireland and Northern :rolleyes:

But that makes no sense... It would be like calling some streets like O'Connell Street 'Sackville Street' - it doesn't exist.

Same issue with "southern ireland" - no such country.

Nobody has a clue what you are talking about.

I accept your apology in advance.

Happy Festivus!

I've reported you for trying to insult me.

Trying to insult you?, I just got a PM from a simpleton saying I have insulted him.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SmartHass

The population of Ireland in total is about the same size as manchester, you simply can not compare prices between a population of 70 million and a pop of 3/4 million, its silly! bulk selling/buying usually dictates price, there are many other contributing factors as well.

Trying to insult you?, I just got a PM from a simpleton saying I have insulted him.

You made this comment to my previous post. Ditto. Reported again.

SmartHass wrote: »
    The population of Ireland in total is about the same size as manchester, you simply can not compare prices between a population of 70 million and a pop of 3/4 million, its silly! bulk selling/buying usually dictates price, there are many other contributing factors as well.

We had this conversation yesterday but it doesn't add-up. For example, smaller Eurozone countries like Cyprus, Slovakia still have lower prices than Ireland. Consumers deserve better and they will shop wherever it's cheaper without any guilt. That is the situation in Ireland at present. Really, the prices remain high because retailers are greedy. That's it in a nutshell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thread closed as this is going nowhere fast.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement