Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guess whose toddler got chicken pox on Christmas Eve!

• 26-12-2011 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭

They've had signs up in the creche for weeks warning of a break out but I thought, sure he's going to get it at some stage he might aswell get it over and done with. I never thought he'd get it over Christmas lol. I don't know did I think children became cloaked in special immunity suits around Christmas time :o

My mother's undergoing chemo at the moment, one of the kids on my husband's side hasn't had chicken pox yet, so we were all quarantined for the last 2 days. We had chicken for Christmas dinner and a few veggies we dug out of the freezer. It's a shame we don't live near cbryd, I bet her freezer is still stacked full of loads of lovely meals from the 'nesting' stage ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Òh Hannibal,

You ppor poor thing, what a chappy thing to happen at Christmas. You can turn New Years into a mini Christmas.

Hope you little darling gets better soon and best wishes to your Mum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Sorry hannibal it's all gone...:( but i did have half a turkey left.. with the nicest homemade stuffing... and crispy roasts.. and i'm not helping am i...i'm so sorry ..sick kids at any time is crap but its worse at christmas time when everyone's ready for fun...i had 3 with hand foot and mouth a few months ago and then Ben got chicken pox..i was pregnant and sick...i nearly went out of my mind ;)
    and telly is crap this year again..:rolleyes:
    hang in there...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭deisemum

It's typical of these things to happen when there's something planned. I know quite a few whose children came out in chicken pox spots either on the day or the day before going on holidays.

When my older boy was 15 months old in the early hours of christmas morning we had to call out the on call doctor as he came out in a rash and was bawling for hours and couldn't be settled. He had measles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

He was in an awful state Christmas night....we had the usual, Calpol, Calomine lotion (which he hated) and I got this Aveeno powder that you put into the bath that cools everything right down. So he spent most of christmas day in the bath :D

This is the first Christmas I've been able to watch the soaps Christmas day and they were diabolical! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Sorry to hear that Hannibal. Sounds like a rough time. You do know that once the spots appear he's no longer contagious? No point in quarantining at that stage.

My girls get dry skin occasionally. One thing we did is make a pot of chamomile tea and pour that in to the bath. It helped with the dry skin considerably.

• Advertisement

A person with chicken pox is contagious from 1 - 2 days before spots first appear until all the spots have crusted over which can be between 5 - 10 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

So it is. What am I thinking of then?

Orion wrote: »
    So it is. What am I thinking of then?

It might be measles, it's contagious 4 days before rash and 4 days after rash appears.

Gah! Orion don't tell me that! So we've all been cooped up like eejits! :eek::D

I've been told so many different things...it's still contagious when the last spot disappears/crusts over etc etc We're going to take him out to an open space tomorrow and let him run, but with my mum with the chemo, I just wouldn't risk it till I'm absolutely sure he's clear.

That's a great tip about the chamomile tea though! I'll definitely put that in the bath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Its the fluid in the blisters that carry the virus and can spread the chicken pox.

Awful thing for a little person to have over the festive period!

Myself and megan got the winter vomiting bug so we were 2 poorly ladies. Megan was pretty good on Xmas day tho and was full of excitement opening her pressies. Not that I saw much, spent most of the day in the bathroom or in bed :(

Ah well, I'm sure Christmas will come around again... and again and agaian and again and again....

Hope the wee fella is better now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Feel for ya Hannibal, my son had the same 15 years ago. He was 9 months old at the time and it was awful:(

Hope your little one is feeling better:)

Its the fluid in the blisters that carry the virus and can spread the chicken pox.

Awful thing for a little person to have over the festive period!

Myself and megan got the winter vomiting bug so we were 2 poorly ladies. Megan was pretty good on Xmas day tho and was full of excitement opening her pressies. Not that I saw much, spent most of the day in the bathroom or in bed :(

Ah well, I'm sure Christmas will come around again... and again and agaian and again and again....

Hope the wee fella is better now :)
    oh no a vomitting bug! That's awful. I hope you're feeling much better :( xx
    Feel for ya Hannibal, my son had the same 15 years ago. He was 9 months old at the time and it was awful:(

Hope your little one is feeling better:)

Thanks Fluffy, he's still got the spots, they all seem to be crusted over now though, but he's in great form thanks xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I hope he's feeling better now. I don't know how my son has managed (so far!) to avoid getting it as its everywhere at the moment. I suppose on the plus side it's one less thing he'll get in the future although it's a small consolation right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I never thought he'd get it over Christmas lol. I don't know did I think children became cloaked in special immunity suits around Christmas time :o

You will find that children tend to get sick a Christmas time regularly.

Guess whose 11 week old baby has now broken out with chicken pox!

Advertisement