Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 - Minimum Wage

Options
  • 26-12-2011 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I know this is a "how long is a piece of string" type question, but on average, what is payment like in the US on a J1? I'm no stranger to work over here so as a result if I'm going away I like to be able to have a rough idea of a budget.

Do you need a bank account or are employers "cash in hand"? Not suggesting any underhand or tax evasion, just curious given the time needed to set up a bank account etc.

Any rough idea of how many hours to expect and payment per hour would be greatly appreciated. I know I'm not coming back at a profit but I want to have a rough idea of what I can expect so that I can tailor accordingly!

Cheers folks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Most employees in the US are paid by cheque, and places like Walmart will cash your paycheque for a fee.

Normal working hours are 40 hours a week. Minimum wage entirely depends on the state, some don't have one. This will give you an idea: http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm Of course, many J1 summer type jobs, such as waitressing or work in hotels, will involve tips too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Setting up a bank account shouldn't be too difficult either. Once you have your social security number and an address you should find a bank you can open an account with.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I was on $14 + commission an hour in a high end retail store, but others there were on €9 so for me it depended on experience. I was on a part time contract and that was up to 25 hours a week if I recall correctly. I set up a bank account really easily, got paid by cheque and just cashed it for a fee or stuck it in the bank. You can also get paid directly into your account but it takes a few weeks to get going.

Check out the local laws in your state regarding minimum wage.

I would try and avoid cash in hand situations, apart from the legalities, it's better to have an official paper trail of money received.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Thank you folks. I'm not looking for a tax evading, cash in hand scenario! Just wanted to get a feel for what the average is and how its paid. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

ironclaw, regarding hours/week, pay rate, wages format, there is no average. It is entirely dependent on where you work and what you do. Like Ireland, no?

I would recommend opening a bank account. It should be the second thing you do after getting your social security card. Without a bank account, it's a pain in the ar$e to obtain cashiers cheques, cash pay cheques, wire money, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Cheers for the replies folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Most important thing to remember is that a mcdouble costs 1$ and so do any size refillable drinks and coffee:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

ironclaw wrote: »
    Thank you folks. I'm not looking for a tax evading, cash in hand scenario! Just wanted to get a feel for what the average is and how its paid. Thanks again!

Thankfully, US businesses are finally moving to direct deposit but you'll still find a large amount that still go by check.

Thankfully, US businesses are finally moving to direct deposit but you'll still find a large amount that still go by check.

Where? What?

US companies have been doing this for a long time.

I've worked for a small company here since 1998. Direct deposit all along. Based on friends', acquaintances' and families accounts this has been the typical method of payment since then.

dave2pvd wrote: »
    Where? What?

US companies have been doing this for a long time.

I've worked for a small company here since 1998. Direct deposit all along. Based on friends', acquaintances' and families accounts this has been the typical method of payment since then.

And I work in a US bank and 3/4 of our customers still get paper checks......some companies have been doing direct deposit for a long time, but the paper checks are still more common.

• Advertisement

And I work in a US bank and 3/4 of our customers still get paper checks......some companies have been doing direct deposit for a long time, but the paper checks are still more common.

It's a strange one.

Despite the fact that it is widely offered, a lot of people don't trust the idea. After-all, you have to give bank account info to your employer.

I'd say only half of our guys are enrolled in DD.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

You can lodge checks to ATMs over there too so no need to cash it in Walmart and cost yourself money.

when people cash their checks places like walmart.....it's generally because they owe a bank money.

Once a bank closes your account because you owe them money, you won't be able to open an account in most banks......then it becomes tough to get a paycheck cashed, which is way check cashing business that charge ridiculous cashing fees are turning massive profit

Most important thing to remember is that a mcdouble costs 1$ and so do any size refillable drinks and coffee:D

Sadly the $1 dollar drink offer only runs memorial day through labor day

Advertisement