Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golden Retreiver puppy not eating

• 26-12-2011 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Hi,

We got an 8 week golden retriever on Saturday and he has barely eaten since coming home.
    He ate a little on saturday but not much yesterday and nothing today so far.
    He also has diarrohea since yesterday

He is a little underweight (approx 6-7 lbs, should be 8 lbs) and is quite active and playful.

If he doesnt improve by tomorrow we will head to the Vet, any advice on what to do in the meantime?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

modmuffin wrote: »
    Hi,

We got an 8 week golden retriever on Saturday and he has barely eaten since coming home.
    He ate a little on saturday but not much yesterday and nothing today so far.
    He also has diarrohea since yesterday

He is a little underweight (approx 6-7 lbs, should be 8 lbs) and is quite active and playful.

If he doesnt improve by tomorrow we will head to the Vet, any advice on what to do in the meantime?

Thanks

Is he drinking water? A pup with diarrhoea gets dehydrated very quickly. Have you him on the same brand of food as the breeder had him on? I would watch diarrhoea in such young pups very closely because of the risk of parvo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Have you been giving the pup the same food he was on before you got him? Have you given anything new at all? Is he drinking?

edit - Zapperzy beat me to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Just to add to the 2 previous posts, most pups will get diorrhea mainly beacause the stress of moving to a new house and trying to setttle in. Both my rotties got it when they first arrived home.

Make sure you soften up the nuts with water as the pup may not have been eating them fully dried. If he still wont eat from the bowl, try from your hand, I had to do this with my 2nd pup she wouldnt go near the bowl originally to eat from it.

Not sure if you have been but cut out all treats, give him nothing at all until he eats his proper food and as I said try it from your hand this should work as long as it is the same food as the breeder had him on. If all fails with the food, boil up a chicken fillet and he should definitely eat that no question.

Best of luck with him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Recently my dog got ill and wasn't drinking enough water so my vet gave me a plastic syringe.

Could you do that with a pup not drinking? (could be completely wrong so I am sure someone with more knowledge will point it out?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

once the pup is drinking the water paul then there i could see no problem with using the syringe to help it drink more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭modmuffin

Thanks folks,

He is drinking a little water, we have to bring him over to the bowl and splash the water around a little.
    Thats a good idea with the syringe

We have a bad of nuts from the breeder but he's barely touched them. He had a few treats on Xmas eve (we've stopped offering him these) and some turkey & rice this morning but not much else.

I think it is stress, if he doesnt improve by tomorrow ill contact the vet

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My GR wouldn't eat his food when we got him unless it was soaked in warm water - once he was settled in he got his appetite and has been eating us out of house and home since!! :D :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

How is he today, any change. You could also try heating them in the microwave for a couple of seconds, it will bring the smell of the nuts out.

Advertisement