Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Kindle Fire, how can I download Android Apps?

Options
  • 26-12-2011 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭

Santa was good enough to pick me up a Kindle Fire when he was in the States (I would have thought he'd come here first because of the time difference, but then he's magic so I won't question him).

I know I can't ask for any advice that could be classed as illegal, but then copyright infringement isn't like robbing a bank is it?

Is there any way of rejigging things so that I can download apps from the US Amazon Appstore?

If not, does anyone have any idea when the Appstore will be available here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Use 5111111111111118 as the cc number, any american address and phone number. Amazon might block this soon, they've blocked other test cc numbers. This will allow you to download the free apps.

You're able to you an Irish cc number for buying books. So I guess we'll have to switch our One-Click method between each when changing what we're downloading. I'm going to look into getting a prepaid American cc or use someone I know's cc and send them money occasionally. If anyone knows any prepay American cards, please post. I tried to use a Dundrum Gift Card (PerfectCard) but it was recognised as non-US.

If you buy yourself gift cards on Amazon.com to credit your account and you keep the 511.. number as your card number, you'll be able to buy books and apps (and get free apps) and as you use it your Gif Card Balance will reduce. I'm not sure what happens when it gets to zero.

From what I read before, streaming videos is blocked by IP address.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Mick0

Use 5111111111111118 as the cc number, any american address and phone number. Amazon might block this soon, they've blocked other test cc numbers. This will allow you to download the free apps.

You're able to you an Irish cc number for buying books. So I guess we'll have to switch our One-Click method between each when changing what we're downloading. I'm going to look into getting a prepaid American cc or use someone I know's cc and send them money occasionally. If anyone knows any prepay American cards, please post. I tried to use a Dundrum Gift Card (PerfectCard) but it was recognised as non-US.

If you buy yourself gift cards on Amazon.com to credit your account and you keep the 511.. number as your card number, you'll be able to buy books and apps (and get free apps) and as you use it your Gif Card Balance will reduce. I'm not sure what happens when it gets to zero.

I've used the US no. To download apps until recently. It work work anymore, maybe because of update.

There is however a new root available. You can then use google apps, which is my next step. Or just download apps onto another device then side load onto kindle.

Not possible to stream vids from amazon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Mick0 wrote: »

I've used the US no. To download apps until recently. It work work anymore, maybe because of update.

There is however a new root available. You can then use google apps, which is my next step. Or just download apps onto another device then side load onto kindle.

Not possible to stream vids from amazon though.

Just tried the 51111 no. And can confirm it doesn't work. Anyone got a good link to this root business? Its a nice brick at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Have you guys made sure it's set as your One-Click payment method and that you're using a US address there too? It's working fine on two Kinde Fires here. If I switch One-Click to my own card it stops working and once back it's fine again.

If you can't get it to work, find someone who trusts you with their real US cc number and once you keep topping up with gift-cards, you'll never cost them anything. Prepaid US cards seem to have hefty charges/expire after 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Have you guys made sure it's set as your One-Click payment method and that you're using a US address there too? s.
    YES not working, needs a good root. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Was thinking of picking up a Kindle Fire when Im in the US in a few weeks. Can anyone give me an idea of what would be restricted on it if bought in the US? Like can I use it to browse the web as normal, play YouTube vids, etc?

Regarding buying content from Amazon- is a US based CC the only way to do this ? I've no-one in the US I know well enough to use their CC so this could be a stumbling block for me :(

Any help much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭leemurta

RATM wrote: »
    Was thinking of picking up a Kindle Fire when Im in the US in a few weeks. Can anyone give me an idea of what would be restricted on it if bought in the US? Like can I use it to browse the web as normal, play YouTube vids, etc?

Regarding buying content from Amazon- is a US based CC the only way to do this ? I've no-one in the US I know well enough to use their CC so this could be a stumbling block for me :(

Any help much appreciated :)

You can browse the internet and everything the only thing to be blocked is the Amazon store and Amazon services like mp3 and video from them, you can root the kindle I did it 2 days ago, it gives you access to the normal android market place and you can download and use al the apps that are compatible with the kindle. Before rooting you can use Youtube and browse the internet as normal.

Not to sure about the american credit card thing, Im not sure if it was in a new update but when I tried, it mentioned my geographical location not being in US and thats why it wouldn't work.

Advertisement