Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yarvik tablet 250

Options
  • 26-12-2011 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Got this as a present yesterday, wanted a kindle but DH is very non tech and was sold this as an ereader. Question is... Can anyone recommend good site/ ap to download decent books. Have tried books on board and a few others but each download fails. Any help out there? Not very impressed with yarvik but obviously I can't say that. Anyone got a yarvik they could give me some tips how to get the best out of it. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Hi;
    Got one of these myself as a Christmas present. I have just downloaded a marketplace from www.snappzmarket.com and was able to download the Kindle app to my tablet. I haven't used it properly yet tbh, but seems to be working ok so far. You could give that a try

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭waitingforBB

I also got one of these as a present. Still playing around with it, has a lot of limitations, but then again for the price it is a basic enough tablet.

One of the main problems is the lack of access to the android market. It has pre installed Getjar as a market, but there is a problem with most of the apps on that and downloads fail (as per Yarvik site).

I've managed to download the apk of a couple of apps that I use on my samsung phone and thats taken a lot of searching and messing. Looking for an apk for RTE news now has been fruitless, most links revert to the android market where the yarvik is unwelcome.

Wifi is also a lot slower than any other appliance I have in the house. However, it browses, does email and does angry birds and stuff so for the price its not a bad deal (when I get used to finding apk files and installing then I'll be singing its praises Im sure.

As for using it as a reader, I'm not so sure. Thats not what its for and if thats what your other half was sold it as, you should return it and get a kimble (and get 40 quid back). Sure you can use it to read ebooks, but its doesnt have the correct resolution or ink type for reading. Plenty of sites you can download PDF and other formats and also loads of reader apps that can be used withthe yarvik, but same as reading books from a laptop experience wise, which I couldnt adapt to

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Bobbity

Thanks, returned it today.

Advertisement