Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

accuracy with scanning cows

• 26-12-2011 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭

I just pulled out the book with the list of times when the cows were due. (going off scanning guidelines. Most of our cows last year were ran with a stock bull so we didnt keep too man of the times.
    Anyhow was checking out what cows were coming close so that we could pay more attention to them. so far two of the cows that are coming close have already calved (about a month ago) another two that are currently springing arent due till feb and when i gave the rest a clloser inspection i reckon pretty much all his dates are completly out.
    we only scanned around 3 months back,did we leave it too late or are they better off being scanned earlier in the year. what sort of results are other people getting from scanning, i know its not going to be bang on date but thought that within a forthnight would be possible.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

once the animal is over 5 months in calf its very hard to give an accurate date... wescan around 4 times a year, this means we are getting accurate results as very few of the animals would be over 5 months when being scanned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

the earlier the more accurate.
    at 4-5 months in calf, they could be out by a mont or even 2, at this stage we just get a yay or nay, and resort to records.
    we run a stock bull a lot, but we still observe and record all bullings.
    there is no substitute for record keeping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

i agree with the lads above , i think from 42 days on to 60 days the scanner is accurate but then it can only tell incalf or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Martin 83

As said, your cows need to be scanned earlier. But hey lets look on the positive side...... at least they are in calf!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

My scanner does a good job of sexing the calves too which is also a help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Joe the Plumber

In all my time I have only come across one scanner that is amazing, can sex the calf, tell you if there is a problem with the cow, if she is dry he can say when she is due to come in again,

He is very hard to get, Dan Ryan if you have heard of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

In all my time I have only come across one scanner that is amazing, can sex the calf, tell you if there is a problem with the cow, if she is dry he can say when she is due to come in again,

Dr Dan is the man alright. He aint cheap, but he is the best.

Wrong Ryan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

My scanner does a good job of sexing the calves too which is also a help.

im odd but i asked scanner not to shout out the sex of the calf when he can see it.... its nice surprise for me when i dont know the outcome!! unless i was selling one.. she would probably stay another year if a bull on board!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭charityboy

Wrong Ryan.
    his name begins with a d as well , he was trained by dan ryan and he did such a good job training him he surpassed dan ,he would be very close to being one of the very best scanners in the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

charityboy wrote: »
    his name begins with a d as well , he was trained by dan ryan and he did such a good job training him he surpassed dan ,he would be very close to being one of the very best scanners in the country

what part of the country is he in?

Your on the ball.Well spotted Charity Boy.Any of ye guys know anything about the Kuhn GMD 700 GII 9'2'' mower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭charityboy

Dunedin wrote: »
    what part of the country is he in?
    he is from down in tipperary,very hard to get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Jaysus............Talk about smoke and mirrors.
    The chap I had a number of years ago was based in Cork but not from Cork, Maybe a Meath man, but I can't recall. Dan Ryan was his name and his company was Reprodoc. He took my details and rang a few weeks later when he was my neck of the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

how much does dr dan charge per cow .does he get milage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Thanks for the replies. I have a feeling dan woulld be pretty expensive to get to Monaghan (presumption,fairly sure i read something about him in journal to do with something else), have been hearing great reports on a lad up this way so going to use him next time. last lad was in and out in a panic and didnt change gloves or wash down arm between any of the cows, and basically thought he was too rough.

1chippy wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I have a feeling dan woulld be pretty expensive to get to Monaghan (presumption,fairly sure i read something about him in journal to do with something else), have been hearing great reports on a lad up this way so going to use him next time. last lad was in and out in a panic and didnt change gloves or wash down arm between any of the cows, and basically thought he was too rough.
    yup hate that, i know a good guy from near dundalk if you're interested? he's very good, takes his time, had my fair share of crap scanners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

would appreciate that whelan, i,m going to give this guy a go at the ai'ing.
    He will hopefully be busy with us pretty soon, were estrumateing the heifers and a few of the cows tomorrow.so if he doesnt impress us ai'ing he wont be back.

pm sent

Advertisement