Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Belgian Blue

• 26-12-2011 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Im hobby farming on 30 acres. Have 12 lovely limousin cows out of british fresians. Used angus AI last year on heifers for ease of calf. Would love to think i could go for BB on cows. Am I mad considering I work Mon - Fri 9 - 5. Is there such a thing as easy caving BB or is it all just relative?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Are you going to AI them or buy a bull. BB bulls aint exactly cheap.

I don't think you'd have any problems if you AI them to a well proven BB bulls with easy calving figures. It's a different story when buying a bull. I notice that even at the last BB premier sale held in Roscrea, they didn't have Calving Diffiuculty figures on the brochure. A lot of the bulls were from well known hard calving bulls, like Empre (EZN) and Heros. what were they trying to hide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Looney1 wrote: »
    Im hobby farming on 30 acres. Have 12 lovely limousin cows out of british fresians. Used angus AI last year on heifers for ease of calf. Would love to think i could go for BB on cows. Am I mad considering I work Mon - Fri 9 - 5. Is there such a thing as easy caving BB or is it all just relative?

Most of our non PB LM's are from Br Fr breeding and started me off into showing cattle. I have not seen too many problems with ours but as Pakalasa says, it depends on if you buy a bull or use AI. With AI would you plan to scan and watch them around the time or just let them calve naturally?
    I'd be more of a fan of BB if you wouldn't be around, a LM would bring very light on the bone crossed again and a CH could bring heavy boned calves which could cause dfficulty of calving.
    Once you could source an easy calving BB eg BBQ, or a stock bull with easy calving breeding, then you would be all set.

Personally, if they were my cattle, I'd flush and bring all into heat at once so I could have a tidier calving period and also then I would be able to AI with an easy calving blue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mousetrap2010

i fully agree with you karen flushing and ai for 12 is a brilliant idea and as for workin 9-5 you should be alright if you could get a week or 2 off for the calving period i feed my cows in the morning time everyday so that they will calve in the evening time you may think im mad but it works some of the time cows can be unpredictable at calving (as in dangerous) particularly limousin

Advertisement