Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 part fiberglass primer

• 26-12-2011 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

anyone know where to get a 2 part fiberglass primer for painting a bare fiberglass hull?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I get it from http://www.marineparts.ie/paint-and-maintenance/paints/undercoats/perfection-undercoat-750ml.html

For my last build I am using just one part "pre-kote" and Toplac it saves on mixing plus I don't have a sprayer but I still get a great finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

could i use that aswell ive sanded all the old paint off and its a bare fiberglass hull

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I'd say it will work fine once the fiberglass is sanded and the primer has something bite to.
    I put the paint on by roll and tipping http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-SGcSlNmoo I then sand down with 800-1000-1500 and 2000 wet paper and then buff with G3 rubbing compound its a lot of work but you may be happy with just the roll and tip finish.

yea ill try that does the roll and tip method not leave brush strokes?

They are very fine as the brush is not wet it just pops any bubbles and levels the paint out, I also use these for tipping.

8c53abcb9e0b27a15bb92c40e191c9fa.jpg

• Advertisement

cheers for that i plan to use rubbing compound to try get a mirror finish could i use clear lacquer on top or is there no need

My last boat was done with just sanding and rubbing compound "no lacquer" and I was able to get a piano black finish that you could shave in :D

004.jpg

DSC00946.jpg

DSC00708.jpg

Advertisement