Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ok to release sky lanterns?

Options
  • 26-12-2011 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Hi

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place
    I bought some for a friend's wedding and didn't end up using them
    I heard that its not good to release them along a flight path , just wondering if its still ok to release them or if there are specific recommendations about it ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

not good if near the coast as they are often mistaken for flares...the coastguard get umpteen phone calls and then launch the boat/helicopter...so not a great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

no problem:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Laneyh wrote: »
    ... just wondering if its still ok to release them or if there are specific recommendations about it ? ...
    Are these the paper things with mini tea-lights in them? If so they're not a good idea in an urban environment as they may damage dwellings and in a rural environment they may set fire to crops / forestry.

The people using these mini tea-light powered things are of the same mentality IMHO as a former neighbour of mine who insisted (for one year) on releasing his illegal fireworks over my house in case they damaged his property or frightened his pets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭R3al

It is a legal requirement to obtain permission, in writing, from the Irish Aviation Authority prior to the use of sky lanterns in Ireland and you should be aware that they do not give permission for members of the public to launch numbers in excess of 50 lanterns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Joan brophy

How come if they are illegal that you can buy them in retail outlet, my friend bought ones in michael guiney

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/lighting-chinese-style-lanterns-illegal-warns-iaa-534144.html

I'd say it has always been illegal to let fly but that they're getting too common and troublesome the more available they have become so they're clamping down now. I'd say they're a huge nuisance for UFO sighting reports (the paranormal forum regularly gets reports of these Chinese lanterns looking suspicious) along with the problems mentioned in the article

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I'm baffled. Surely even a canine with a large hammer protruding from its nether regions could figure out that releasing burning, inflammable, uncontrolled objects into the sky is dangerous on a number of levels? Do we need legislation as a substitute for common sense now? It is legal to sell large very sharp knives, but it is illegal to be in possession of one in certain circumstances.

The nanny state becomes necessary when the citizens of the state begin to display the thinking and behaviour of infants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭R3al

How come if they are illegal that you can buy them in retail outlet, my friend bought ones in michael guiney

Please read the previous posts before commenting, no where has anyone said that sky lanterns in themselves are illegal, only flying them without permission

http://www.iaa.ie/library_download.jsp?libraryID=922

Advertisement