Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petrol Station Air Pumps

• 26-12-2011 6:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

I'm having a lot of difficulty pumping up my rear tire due to where the air nozzle is located.

All the petrol stations I have visited in North Dublin have the air nozzle with the 25 degrees slant which makes it impossible for me to get it on to my bikes air nozzle.

Does anyone know of any petrol stations where the air nozzle doesn't have that 25 degrees slant?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Zen 2nd wrote: »
    I'm having a lot of difficulty pumping up my rear tire due to where the air nozzle is located.

All the petrol stations I have visited in North Dublin have the air nozzle with the 25 degrees slant which makes it impossible for me to get it on to my bikes air nozzle.

Does anyone know of any petrol stations where the air nozzle doesn't have that 25 degrees slant?

Its a pain, but you can get yourself a right angle valve extention and leave it on your valve nipple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Personally I wouldn't leave the angle adapter on the valve, certainly after the led dust cap failing story from a while ago. It will work though, just keep it in a pocket or on the bike.
    I have the same problem with the front wheel due to the size of the discs. 17" wheels and 320mm discs don't leave a lot of room. I find i have to have the valve about 5 o'clock and turn the bars right. Always end up with scrapes on the back of the hand and brake dust on fingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Its a pain, but you can get yourself a right angle valve extention and leave it on your valve nipple.

The right angel valves leak, better off leaving it under the saddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Buy a pair of 90 degree valves - Triumph and KTM fit them as standard.

M&P sell them for cheap - fit them at your next tyre change or whenever.

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

ya can bend them air valves nozzels to suit with a well placed heel kick most the time :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭spuddy01

http://www.louis.de/_105b6c7c91e8633c81d7e11163e177f565/index.php?topic=artnr_gr&article_context=detail&grwgr=370&wgr=468&list_total=29&anzeige=0&page=0&artnr_gr=10002925

Would one of these be the right thing for the job as i need something like this myself?? Hope i'm not hijacking OP :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Problem with petrol stations is that you need to get to them. Warm tyres will give you dodgy readings

Del2005 wrote: »
    The right angel valves leak, better off leaving it under the saddle.

Then you put air in the tyre!..

But seriously, I've been using them over 20 years on various bikes without a problem. However as most people use the same motorcycle jacket daily its no biggie to put 'em into your pocket if they're causing you concern.

Beats the crap out of looking for suitable air pumps.

spuddy01 wrote: »
    http://www.louis.de/_105b6c7c91e8633c81d7e11163e177f565/index.php?topic=artnr_gr&article_context=detail&grwgr=370&wgr=468&list_total=29&anzeige=0&page=0&artnr_gr=10002925

Would one of these be the right thing for the job as i need something like this myself?? Hope i'm not hijacking OP :)

Thats exactly what I use.

Don't know where you can buy locally as I purchased mine donkeys years ago in the old Mountjoy Motorcycles (oh how I miss that place).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Lads, don't leave them on the wheels. There's a whole balancing issue there.

It would be like sticking a 10gram weight randomly on the wheel rim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,418 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

1.618 wrote: »
    Lads, don't leave them on the wheels. There's a whole balancing issue there.

It would be like sticking a 10gram weight randomly on the wheel rim.

I wouldn't worry about that so much. But the tyre valve isn't designed to take the weight of one of these things flying around at high speed, I have heard of cases where the valve was pulled clean out of the rim, instant blowout.

Most of the garages on my route to work usually don't have a working air line anyway :rolleyes: but I have a 12V compressor in the shed that runs off the bike's power socket. After pumping up the tyres I leave the bike on a trickle charge overnight.

Scrap the cap!

I've a portable compressor/jumper that I use to pump the tyres up at home and a digital gauge to checks all in order

ninja900 wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about that so much. But the tyre valve isn't designed to take the weight of one of these things flying around at high speed, I have heard of cases where the valve was pulled clean out of the rim, instant blowout.

Seriously?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,418 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yes, seriously - on the screw-on right angle valve adaptors. These are intended to be taken off when not in use.
    Not the right angle valves that replace the existing valve entirely. You need to get the tyre off the rim to fit these.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I have a compressor that cost €25 in argos

Cheap air compressor from Lidl next thursday for anyone that's interested.

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I bought a footpump from Lidl or Aldi last year. It's dead simple to use. You don't need anything electric to pump up your tyres.

This is the same type as mine
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3332122/Trail/searchtext%3EPUMP.htm#tabrev

Advertisement