Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading old PC - what graphics card?

Options
  • 26-12-2011 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of upgrading the graphics card in my old PC. Current specs are:

CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.8 GHz
    RAM: 2GB PC2-6400 (might upgrade this too)
    Motherboard: MSI 975X Platinum
    PSU: Tagan TG480-U22 480W (30A on +12V rail)
    Graphics card: GeForce 8600GT

My main limitation here seems to be the power supply. I think this limits me to a GeForce GTS 250 or 9800 GTX+, but I am clueless when it comes to ATI stuff - are there Radeon equivalents that will perform better than these with similar or lower power consumption?

I believe the PCIe 1.0 limitation will only be an issue with dual-core cards, but they're not feasible with that PSU anyway.

Also should I be concerned about the age of the PSU? Nvidia recommend a 450W PSU for the above two cards, and this comfortably exceeds the +12V current requirements according to the specs when new - but this is 5 years old now...

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

get 6870 + 4gb ram and you will be flying.

i have dell xps 420 similar spec ( 3gb instead of 2), but with 8800gt, so i just droped in 6870 and it did massive massive difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Thanks, that looks much better than a GTS 250 but I think it may be pushing it power-wise and it's a bit over my budget. A 6850 sounds good though...

Thanks, that looks much better than a GTS 250 but I think it may be pushing it power-wise and it's a bit over my budget. A 6850 sounds good though...

i got 6870 on dells 375w psu, so you have waaaaaay more then enough. get 6870 and enjoy it.

i used that system for hardcore gaming for 4 months. i even oced that card a bit.

i am not using much that pc now as i got myself a brand new 2500k+gtx570, though that dell is hooked to TV at 1080p and every now and then i fire her up for some MW3 mindless fun. Stable and newer had any problems.

That's interesting - does the Dell PSU say what the +12V rail is rated for, or if it has two separate rails? I've seen some saying like 34A for a 6870 which is more than what I have, though I guess these are very rough guides considering the many possible differences in CPU power requirements and other hardware.

you are over thinking it, i checked that psu you got and people are having good opinions about it. if 6870 runs on 375w dell, psu it will deffo run on your psu.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I think I'll go for a 6870. I guess I can always underclock if the PSU has trouble. Any recommendations for which one to go for? I'd like something quiet, especially when idle. I see some have two fans - are these quieter or just designed for overclocking?

Advertisement