Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loving my new Blackberry Bold 9900

Options
  • 26-12-2011 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Recently got new Bold 9900 ace phone but was tricky to set up since it was my first blackberry. Just wondering if anyone can suggest good apps to downlooad and maybe a few hints and tips....
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Love mine cause it's crap at apps. Shazam is about the only one I use. If you like apps its a truly useless phone for them and the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

I dont actually use apps just meant apps that make phone better dont mean games and stuff that you find on apple (boring). Like maybe something that monitor how much data you using or something alike

Took me 3 attempts to post the above, it really is a brutal multi media, internet, app phone. That's the only reson I have it because I want a phone that's excellent at handling a lot of mail, contacts, and messages and nothing else, the camera is even pants it's one saving grace is the Keyboard it's awsome, king of querty phones.

Probably take me another few attempts to post this..

Don't know of any, downloaded loads but found them all pretty useless, had an iphone4 before the 9900 so I'd be pretty harsh on rubbish apps.

Cookie should have some suggestions. Would love to see one that makes it easier to post on boards, must have tried to log in 5 times to post this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Congrats. It is a great device. Posting from it now with no problems. Apps I use are:
    Quicklaunch
    Google Maps
    Shazam
    SugarSync
    DropBox
    Evernote
    Fixmotools
    Twitter
    Facebook
    PhotoEdit
    TuneIn
    WordPress
    SkyNews
    Hullomail
    IM+

I'd disagree that it's multimedia is lacking although game wise it isn't good. I don't play games on it though. I use the full boards page rather than the mobile site.

Look here too for more hints and tips.
    http://irishtechnews.net/ITN3/balckberry/blackberry-101/

In the browser enable shortcut keys as they really speed up navigation. Look at installing a leak os. I've 7.1 which is great as it enables the hotspot feature. Battery life with this release isn't wonderful but I'm always near a charger. Any questions fire away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

OP, have you downloaded BlackBerry App World yet? That's the source for the majority of apps for your 9900

The ones I use:
    BlackBerry Protect
    BlackBerry Travel
    BBM
    Facebook
    Foursquare
    Google Maps
    Google Talk
    Restart Me
    Screen Grabber
    Shazam
    SocialScope
    TuneIn
    Twitter
    WhatsApp
    Wikitude

Thanks for that yeah have blackberry app world and downloaded a few already. Can anyone tell me approx how much data would you use per month? I dont have Facebook running in back ground or anything like that.

Data thought the BlackBerry APN (most apps can use this) is compressed so you wont use that much. The main thing that eats data is when you tether (connect your PC to your phone to use the internet), Youtube (but even that is compressed over a BlackBerry. Whats your data limit Don?

ITs 2gb with BIS and 1gb with my plan. Im sure its more than enough. Just worried it might go over that. Does Facebook/Twitter take up much can i leave it on or should I log off every time?

It's plenty. You'll be fine. Leave them on all the time, they'll never ever use that much data. Those apps are on anyway even if the app is off. You'll still receive notifications even when the app is not running in the background as they're pushed to your phone like email

• Advertisement

When my Blackberry is connected to wifi does this mean it runs off this or still use my data inc with plan? When I view web pages it dont ask which to connect to like on my nokia....

If the wifi signal symbol(3 horizontally curved lines) are white then it's definitely using wifi. If the lines are greyed out it is not using wifi. It won't ask you like your nokia.

So its best to have wifi on when at home? it use less data?

Absolutely. It should move smoothly between wifi and network signal to save you your data. It does for me anyway.

Well just notice it have used up 3.3mb out of my 2gb already since Xmas day!! Thats scary.... I rarely use up 1mb ina month using my Nokia. Just hope I dont go over it as be charged a lot of money then.

2GB = 2000mbs approx you've used up 3.3mbs in 4 days which equates to 0.165% of your total allowance I think you're doing fine ;)

phew.... Thanks for help. Im sure I be back if anything else worries me lol

Advertisement