Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance ?

Options
  • 26-12-2011 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

So I am currently living at home , I need to move out and I'm not working. I get 188.00 on job seekers allowance , how much rent allowance would i be entitled to ? Also say the rent is 700 monthly and I get 500 on rent allowance do I just add the extra 200 myself or what way does it work?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭ThePower11

You need to be renting for 6 months before you are entitled to rent allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭lil_tuts

Thanks its impossible so, no way I could afford the rent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

lil_tuts wrote: »
    So I am currently living at home , I need to move out and I'm not working. I get 188.00 on job seekers allowance , how much rent allowance would i be entitled to ? Also say the rent is 700 monthly and I get 500 on rent allowance do I just add the extra 200 myself or what way does it work?

700 a month on the dole? This is just crazy. How can you afford that? I work very hard to pay my 600 a month rent with no such allowances.

This is exactly what is wrong with this country. Why don't you go get a job and pay the rent yourself like everyone else.

This free money is gone beyond a joke at this stage and your an example

700 a month on RENT ! and you don't know why I am out of work so please don't judge not everyone wants to be on the dole and not working ! I would give anything to be in work earning a living!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭ThePower11

The OP was referring to the rent price of the house he/she wanted to rent not what she is paying. Get your facts right before posting!

Anyway OP you cant go over the SW rent allowance for your area, you can't just pay the extra €200 a month yourself it doesn't work like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

That's what I meant . How can someone on the dole afford to pay 700 euro a month on rent when others like us has to work hard to pay less rent.

This is absolute madness. Surely there is some type of work out there to get you off the dole?

Question; would you be willing to collect rubbish? Clean the streets? Work night as a security guard? To get off the dole and pay the rent yourself?

Yes of course I would but I have to be able to live on what I make. I have a lot of medical expenses, Its not all straight forward for everyone. I am applying for so many jobs every week its hard to keep track, but there just isn't that much work . And I do have qualifications and experience. You cant judge everyone the same , I get people abuse the system but there are legitimate people out there stuck in tough situations. I am just trying to get out of mine. Living with my parents and out of a job is not what i want my life to be ...

What are your circumstances? Do you have children? Are you part of a couple?

How much you would qualify for also depends on what county you live in - there is a maximum ceiling they will pay per family size, by county - see the varying rates HERE

If you are single / no children you won't get as much as a family with children, and the minimum you must contribute towards your rent yourself is €30 per week (Jan 2012). The accommodation must also be suitable for your needs - e.g. they won't pay for a two or three bed house for a single person. You're looking at a bedsit / one bed or house share.

According to the rules of RA you are not allowed rent anywhere that costs MORE than the max ceiling for your location and top it up from your own pocket.

You must be renting for six months privately / or assessed and accepted onto your local authority housing list to qualify for Rent Allowance.

If you're really desperate to move, you could consider house sharing.

Advertisement