Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old hospital

Options
  • 26-12-2011 7:33pm

Hi guys,

What's going on by the old hospital? Some serious excavation work going on!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Hopefully it is being levelled. Serious death trap for junkies & skangers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

oldyouth wrote: »
    Hopefully it is being levelled. Serious death trap for junkies & skangers

Can't be levelled "protected building" its wrapped up in so many conditions to what can and can't be done that nothing really can be done with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Yeah, it's protected but it shouldn't me. Like many other buildings in this country, it has gone far, far beyond being of any functional, historical or architectural value. Why people insist on flogging a dead horse surprises me. The critical time to save the old hospital was over 20 years ago.

Seems to be just to the side of it, so it might a different site.

Blue marker is where the digging is at (I think, could be on the patch to the right).

186348.png

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

i think there was talk of building a psych unit on it, but in reality its going to be an elderly care home, replacing the "hospital" over the ferrybank bridge. A "psych unit" created better pre election headlines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

Murtinho wrote: »
    i think there was talk of building a psych unit on it, but in reality its going to be an elderly care home, replacing the "hospital" over the ferrybank bridge. A "psych unit" created better pre election headlines.

Ely House ? I thought it was to replace St Senans ?

It took around 50 years to knock down the old old hospital in town though a small part of it remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

will1977 wrote: »
    Ely House ? I thought it was to replace St Senans ?

yeah, Ely, apparently its being marketed as a new St Senans but in reality it'll be more like Ely. So im told anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

McLoughlin wrote: »
    It took around 50 years to knock down the old old hospital in town though a small part of it remains.

wheres this?

foolelle wrote: »
    wheres this?

Bottom of Hill Street just across from the entrance to the county council buildings that hospital was closed in 192/23 (opened mid 1700s) when the Irish Free State came into being and the workhouse became the new hospital part of the building in there is apart of the old old hospital which was knocked down in the 70s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Bottom of Hill Street just across from the entrance to the county council buildings that hospital was closed in 192/23 (opened mid 1700s) when the Irish Free State came into being and the workhouse became the new hospital part of the building in there is apart of the old old hospital which was knocked down in the 70s.

Any photos of the building McLoughlin?

Advertisement