Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Sat Nav to buy?

Options
  • 26-12-2011 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, looking to buy a good but reasonably priced sat nav. I know Garmin and TomTom are good makes. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved from motora..

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭pmsurveys

angeline wrote: »
    Hi guys, looking to buy a good but reasonably priced sat nav. I know Garmin and TomTom are good makes. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Tomtom. Maps and updates on Garmin are rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

pmsurveys wrote: »

I'd argue the reverse. Maps on TomTom are "up to date" with roads that don't exist yet, traced from plans; and in rural areas the roads are traced off badly aligned aerial photography so you end up being guided in to fields, rivers, down laneways and so on.

Garmin may be slightly slower - but have now mostly caught up with recent changes - but at least the data is actually *accurate*

This is down to the map suppler - TeleAtlas vs. Navteq, not the vendor. Navteq's updates have improved in speed since Nokia took over.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

pmsurveys wrote: »

Please do not make such general statements that cant be backed up.

There really is not much difference between them now. I can vouch for hundreds of improvements on tomtoms maps over the past 7 or 8 map versions. The badly aligned roads are still there ,but there are reducing & getting better.
    Between Navteq & Teleatlas its really 50 of 1 & half dozen of the other.
    If only we could merge the best of both.:rolleyes:

Advertisement