Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swtor boredom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

pvp is really starting to annoy the ****e out of me

firstly theres hutball which is a joke of a warzone,this is amplified 100 times if your mele..

secondly theres the fact that im level 15 or 20 and im in a warzone with level 50 dudes.seriously?! i know some of you will say "hey its ok they buff you up to their level" but they dont!! do they give me 30 points to put in my talent trees? do they give me every skill and ability from my class trainer? they do not,so saying that its fair is just not true

thirdly theres the delay. im an operative mele. so i run up behind a guy and i backstab,i have to wait about .5 to 1 second after the gcd before i can shiv because the animation of my first move has not finished before the gcd has ended,and this is a never ending cycle,some abilities have longer animations, overloads shot is instant cast shot,does ok damage but if i want to spam it,it takes rougly 2.5 to 3 seconds between each bullet leaving the gun,i assume this is coz of the animation.an instant that is 3 secs between each shot.so its more or less like a 2.5 sec cast to me :(

ive rolled a pvp char on a pvp server but the pvp is just not up to scratch yet afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Dcully wrote: »
    Anyone writing this off is missing out bigtime, its easily the best MMO since .... WOW actually.
    Who knows, if the cotent is there and built upon as i expect bioware to do who knows how good it will be.
    For now its a thoroughly enjoyable MMO and its Star Wars ffs :D:D

the potential is there for this to be one of the best mmo's ever, they could add in as many planets as they feel like with more stories, they could add mini games like speeder racing etc. there is endless possibilities for expansion tbh (so long as there is a good amount of people playing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

It's out a week.

People are so familiar with mmo's that it feels like this game should have years or bugfixes and balancing patches applied straight out of the box.

Every game has issues, I can say (safely) that no game is perfect on launch, this one is far from perfect but far better than some other games that were released...Battlefield Bad company 2 was unplayable at launch, a ****ing mess, BF3 beta was a steaming heap of bugged ****, the SWTOR beta was less buggy than the release version of BF3 imo. RAGE is another example....Skyrim had bugs...etc etc etc, Assassins Creed Brotherhood wouldn't detect my keyboard until recently...6 months after launch...

World Of Warcraft was a good game, had issues, they fixed many of them over a period of SEVEN YEARS...not over night.

This game has been available to all for less than ten days...People that are giving up in frustration are not being realistic. If you are happy to give up on it this quickly then it should at least be for genuine (and credible) reasons like simply not liking the art style or the universe or whatever, but complaining that pvp is ****ed and that you're quitting after 10 days makes you look like a moron. They are not the kind of people that should be allowed to comment on the forums.

Bioware have had one ****ty maintainence schedule out of 2 weeks of playing it I don't think that's bad...and the game is not that buggy for me (the odd looting bug, that's it).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Dear God, the drama with you people. You'd swear you'd never seen a launch before. 10 days in with **** all endgame experience of note and you're writing it off? Yeah it might flop badly and we might end up with a dead game because Bioware screw up the endgame but we're not there yet and to write it off is truly mindboggling.

Gummy Panda, I don't know if you played WoW at launch but it was so much worse than this it wasn't funny. That doesn't defend Bioware but to call it a 2004 MMO is seriously way off the mark or a case of wearing very rose tinted glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Its not the bug's those are expected, its the fact i know what every single quest im going to get is going to be another click that thing ow and kill 30 mobs for a bonus. I am bored.

This is star wars they could have done a lot of interesting things but everything is a simple kill 30 mobs then repeat. Its not even interesting and im only lvl 30 now. Sure the dialogue parts are interesting the first time around but everything else is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

The reason the game is so similar to Wow in that respect is because any mmo that wants to be successful these days needs to aim squarely at it's customer base to get on on that action.

Always makes me laugh when i encounter someone whining ingame that why doesn't this game have X like Wow does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

While wow wasn't the first MMO when it came out, it certainly was probably the best at the time and nothing really came close to it.
    Star Wars, as with Rift, now have a lot to compete with, I mean come on, I even see people here mentioning FPS games like BF3 in the same sentence as an MMO, seriously like, some of you just haven't a clue at all.
    It's not all about bugs either - PlanetSide, the best MMO I ever played STILL has bugs in it, 300 (!) years after it first launched, but that didn't deter people because no matter what, it had playability and actual people there to play with and fight against, all the time.

Neither Rift nor Star Wars can even come close to what they have to compete with today, and I don't care for the excuses being banded about either, it's not back then in the "olden days" - it's now, here and now and Star Wars does NOT even come close to other MMO's on offer, even some of the free ones are better than it.
    Couldn't care less how it compares to Wow when wow launched, and I know what wow was like when it launched, pretty much enjoyed it too, actually I'd prefer most of Vanilla wow than some of the crap they've dished out in recent years.

Either way, if people are prepared to pay to play in a game that still looks like it could be in beta for another 6 months to a year then fair dues to them. I'm not. I got my refund.

If they make some amazing changes over the next 6 months to a year then maybe I might come back and bother playing it but the game as it is now should not have been released to the public and it's no wonder EA are accepting requests for refunds without question.

Big star wars fan here, I really am, but this game was a complete let down to me and I'd blame a lot of that on the moronic fanboi's in the beta who never even bothered to tell Bioware how badly they were doing. I mean come on, did any of you in the beta ever even once make a ticket about stupid stuff that's still there like the "\" key beside your "z" key on the keyboard, which most gamers would map to an ability, ALWAYS opening up the support request window ? You can't even un-map that key to do something else and yet stupid stuff like that made it into the release of the game ??
    That there's no option there to report afk leechers and botters ? Wtf really ?
    Oh I know, maybe I can accidentally hit that fecking "\" key again mid fight and open up a support ticket on the afk botter :/

I still think the game has huge potential but unless more players take their blinkers off, remove their star wars t-shirts and put away the fake jedi lightsabres - the game will go nowhere because nobody is actually telling Bioware how crap of a job they really are doing.

It's unforgivable to me, in this day and age, to walk into a (huge!) world zone and 1) have no other players in it, 2) the mobs all just stand there and do absolutely NOTHING and 3) I can't even find one bloody person of the opposite faction to kill - on a server with long queues and massive opposition faction against the one I rolled (Republic).
    That and the stupidity of player abilities not firing because they're waiting on some jamrag animation that some moronic dev thought would be cool to do, in pvp, and not a single word came from any beta testers about it ???

While the game won't die in it's first month, due mainly to star wars fans propping it up, it has already lost it's opportunity of becoming one of the best, due to nothing other than itself. It's just another suicide MMO, once they at least break even they won't give a damn - but people will still be patiently waiting and telling themselves it'll get better, honestly, it'll get better, really, it'll get better.... etc., etc.,

Once bitten, twice shy, cheerio now bye bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

nesf wrote: »
    Dear God, the drama with you people. You'd swear you'd never seen a launch before. 10 days in with **** all endgame experience of note and you're writing it off? Yeah it might flop badly and we might end up with a dead game because Bioware screw up the endgame but we're not there yet and to write it off is truly mindboggling.

Gummy Panda, I don't know if you played WoW at launch but it was so much worse than this it wasn't funny. That doesn't defend Bioware but to call it a 2004 MMO is seriously way off the mark or a case of wearing very rose tinted glasses.

The difference here is that WoW came out a long time ago, and at the time it was basically the first real full world MMO on it's scale and so it was expected to have a lot of bugs.

However, people expect a much higher rate on the release of the game from a major company like Bioware, especially Star Wars because it's such a huge franchise.
    My issue during the beta was that the questing was very mundane, and whilst the the spoken dialogue is fantastic, it does get a bit tiresome when you want to just fly though to the end-game.

I haven't written off the game. My plan is to wait about 2 months and then check it out properly on live.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    The difference here is that WoW came out a long time ago, and at the time it was basically the first real full world MMO on it's scale and so it was expected to have a lot of bugs.

However, people expect a much higher rate on the release of the game from a major company like Bioware, especially Star Wars because it's such a huge franchise.
    My issue during the beta was that the questing was very mundane, and whilst the the spoken dialogue is fantastic, it does get a bit tiresome when you want to just fly though to the end-game.

I haven't written off the game. My plan is to wait about 2 months and then check it out properly on live.

Sure, what I'm complaining about is the people writing it off already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

nesf wrote: »

No what am I complaining about is when people say the game is missing features which are considered standard now, people say wow didn't have xyz on release. WoW was released in 2004. This is 2011 and bioware had a massive budget to use. There is a serious amount of bugs and poor features in this game.

• Advertisement

I dont care about the bugs to be honest. I am just dissapointed with the game in general. Everybody looks the same, all the weapons are the same all the clothes are the same. Missions are all the same. Your character you create doest seem to have a soul, if you dont move it stands there like C3PO. Its just boring.

No what am I complaining about is when people say the game is missing features which are considered standard now, people say wow didn't have xyz on release. WoW was released in 2004. This is 2011 and bioware had a massive budget to use. There is a serious amount of bugs and poor features in this game.

Sure I'll accept that direct comparisons are invalid, but a hell of a lot of stuff is in the game. I suppose I'm happy enough because despite the flaws I'm still enjoying myself. That and I really don't expect perfection in a MMO launch, I expected to find problems if I bought it at launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Everybody looks the same, all the weapons are the same all the clothes are the same. Missions are all the same. Your character you create doest seem to have a soul, if you dont move it stands there like C3PO. Its just boring.

are we playing the same game?

Sorry but what you're saying there is a complete description of any MMO. Sit in Orgrimmar/Stormwind or any generic mmo capitol city for 3 minutes and you're bound to see 10-20 people with the exact same gear. (wow's transmog excluded)

As for soul, i dunno what class you're playing but the bioware storyline is full of soul, imho anyway. I think a lot of people are just racing through to the end and missing the whole point of playing an mmorpg.

It is a very immersive game if you allow it to be. A hell of a lot more than some of the other big named mmo's out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The lad who posted about booting party members who didnt skip dialogue.......is just missing the point completely. Completely. You complain about grind and then completely skip the interesting and unique part of the game....the story.

I've been impressed with the game so far, although after three days im still level 19 so haven't experienced any endgame. Its the most polished release MMO i've played and i've played most of them.

I've encountered 2 bugs in 22 hours play time. An animation bug where I kept shooting a corpse and an item disappeared from my inventory. Thats it. No glitched mobs, no falling through the world, no broken quests, nothing.

There has been zero unscheduled downtime. ZERO! No major crashes. I've never seen that in any mmo. We had an eight hour sheduled maintance in preperation for a patch the other day which is normal for any game.

I play a bounty hunter Merc and have no issue with animation delay or whatever people are complaining about. Maybe its your class.

If a game isn't for you thats fine and say so.....but plenty of new people will be reading this thread considering buying the game or not and will be put off by quite alot of untruth's being posted in here.

What "untruths" are you talking about ? Or did you really just mean differing opinion than that of your own which you couldn't possibly agree with because ... ?
    More than happy to rip the game to pieces in here and tell more than a few truths about it, but I've held off on doing so for fear of spoiling it for others who for some reason don't see it's serious faults.
    I will though rip it to shreds on metacritic, so all the shilling bioware and EA employees who gave it 10/10 and other such nonsense can go suck a fat one when the game has rightfully averaged out below a rating of 5.

Also, like I said, it's an ok single player game with an online chat, but I have skyrim so wtf would I want to pay to sit through dialogue after dialogue over and over because some john won't hit his space bar, go get another group yourself, preferably on a RP server where I'm sure they all enjoy listening to stupid mostly English accents waffle on constantly. It was interesting the first few times, then it just got annoying.

Oh and the only reason you didn't fall through the world was because there was nobody else there to see you fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

oxo_ wrote: »
    What "untruths" are you talking about ? Or did you really just mean differing opinion than that of your own which you couldn't possibly agree with because ... ?
    More than happy to rip the game to pieces in here and tell more than a few truths about it, but I've held off on doing so for fear of spoiling it for others who for some reason don't see it's serious faults.
    I will though rip it to shreds on metacritic, so all the shilling bioware and EA employees who gave it 10/10 and other such nonsense can go suck a fat one when the game has rightfully averaged out below a rating of 5.

Also, like I said, it's an ok single player game with an online chat, but I have skyrim so wtf would I want to pay to sit through dialogue after dialogue over and over because some john won't hit his space bar, go get another group yourself, preferably on a RP server where I'm sure they all enjoy listening to stupid mostly English accents waffle on constantly. It was interesting the first few times, then it just got annoying.

I dunno man. This post just comes accross as really petty and bitter. As I said, some people like things others don't. Thats normal. But you are talking about going onto metacritic and "ripping to shreads" a decent game just because you "know" other people rate it highly......so you want to trash its score?

I also think you need to understand the difference between playing and role-playing. If a lad watches a cutscene, he's playing the game. If he spams general chat with his characters inner thoughts, thats role-playing. You say you like star wars and like MMO's but it just seems like you wanted to dislike it. I mean didn't you create the account just to share your dislike of the game with others?

Criticism is welcome and often valid but you are just grinching at this point.

Don't happen to work for EA or Bioware at all do you Kirby ?
    Again, what are you saying that was said here that you are calling lies (untruths) an who are you calling a liar ?

Presuming you don't actually work for EA or Bioware nor have any affiliation with same then you are a prime example of what went wrong with the development of this game and what will continue to go wrong with it after the majority have quit within the first 3 months, probably never to return. You refuse to accept criticism of a game you play, for which owes you nothing, nor you it. Will continue to accept below average and lazy development and customer support and on top of that you call criticism lies and as such label those criticising as liars.
    The Swtor official forums remind me so much of Rift, where their forums were stuffed with paid employees and paid shills who were shouting down and drowning out any criticism with similiar labels, along with shilling 10/10 reviews on metacritic and paid shilling reviews in so called gaming sites and magazines. Yet a couple months after launch the servers were dead, they couldn't give the game away for almost free on steam and their forums had barely a criticism to be read and anyone that did dare to criticise was labelled a wow fanboy or a liar.
    I'm giving my point of view on how I see the game with actual factual information in regards stupid lazy bugs, lazy development and piss poor mob interactions and lack of anyone in the open world even on stuffed servers which still have queues.
    Couldn't care less whether you agree with me or not or won't accept even blatant obvious stuff that's been posted all over their official forums in regards player abilities not queueing up or firing off due to stupid anmations. Or dead world with static dead mobs that do nothing. Or pvp servers with no players to pvp against. This is all over their forums.
    Just don't call or insinuate that I'm a liar. Nothing I have said was untrue and there is an awful lot that I've held back on, which I will "let rip" with on metacritic and other sites in order to counter the shilling reviews put out by "others".

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭GarethBah

Not sure why you are hating on SWTOR, yes it's got some bugs but it's nothing that can be fixed can I ask what level you got to before you stopped playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Thoroughly enjoying it so far, lvl 22 Sorc. Leveling with a friend so its generally good fun. I like the storyline idea, definitely a nice slant on how to level.

Oxo, why cant you just go away if you don't like it? And lol at asking people if they work for bioware or ea just because they don't agree with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Kiith wrote: »
    Most of the complaints i've seen are pretty standard MMO complaints.

Random people are always stupid, enemies rarely if ever more around, 90% of tasks are about killing enemies...best way you can start to enjoy any MMO is get yourself in a guild that you like, and start playing with them. You'd be surprised how having a simple chat function can lessen your boredom.

Yes, there are bugs, but there's not an MMO out there that hasn't had bugs at launch. I'd say there are less in this than i've ever come across (though maybe i'm just lucky).

This game is being spoken as the main challenger to Wow, therefore it is going to be compared in every single way.

I've no doubt this will last for years, and it will be a real challenge to WoW.

There is a ton of features for Swtor still to come in future patches before we even see a new expansion.

But in the market they are in, where they can view the history of failed mmo's and why, and the one succesfull mmo and why, you cant help but feel there has been some serious drop the ball issues.

I remember Wow launch vividly, and have to say it was alot smoother then this, bugs aside.

There is bugs in SWtor that literally make quests uncompleteable and bugs that completely waste time.

I've stopped doing flashpoints and heroics due to the bugs and problems that have wasted countless hours. The other night I was doing a simple heroic in Tatooine where the mobs instantly respawned and we couldnt move until eventually we died, just logged off.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

TheDoc wrote: »
    I remember Wow launch vividly, and have to say it was alot smoother then this, bugs aside.

wow launch smoother than this? not the wow i played at launch.
    There was constant downtime and lag issues,the only downtime in swtor was for maintenance.
    Servers are rock solid with nobody ever complaining of lag.
    From what i see and the general consensus from the community its been a smooth launch apart from server queues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Kirby wrote: »

I play a bounty hunter Merc and have no issue with animation delay or whatever people are complaining about. Maybe its your class.

Doesn't really happen on Merc. It's noticeable on melee classes though Bioware said they're investigating it.

EDIT: Wow this thread got a little heated lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

It's funny. This thread is giving me serious deja vu from the test forums (or rather the ones that I had specific access to). A lot of the boredom complaints are looking familiar.

Am very glad I cancelled my pre-order. I may pick the game up in a few months, but we'll see.

Doesn't really happen on Merc. It's noticeable on melee classes though Bioware said they're investigating it.

i've noticed it quite a few times, and some issues with companions freezing or being mutinous little bastards and refusing to heal/tank for you xD

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

oxo_ wrote: »
    you are a prime example of what went wrong with the development of this game and what will continue to go wrong with it after the majority have quit within the first 3 months, probably never to return. You refuse to accept criticism of a game you play, for which owes you nothing, nor you it. Will continue to accept below average and lazy development and customer support and on top of that you call criticism lies and as such label those criticising as liars.
    I'm giving my point of view on how I see the game with actual factual information in regards stupid lazy bugs, lazy development and piss poor mob interactions and lack of anyone in the open world even on stuffed servers which still have queues.

So you're allowed to give your opinion, but when someone else does he's a fanboy? Fair enough, you don't like it. But does that mean no one is allowed to like it? :rolleyes:

I've personally had maybe 2 bugs happen to me. Fell through the floor once, and got stuck in a looting animation. That's it. Required 2 relogs, totalling about 60 seconds lost playtime. Maybe i'm just lucky though. It's not perfect, no one is saying that. But most of us seem to think what is there is good enough to keep us interested. There are a fair few things i don't like about the game, but there are more things i love about the game, and that's why i'll keep playing.

And you're giving out about the Customer Support, even though you said earlier that you got a full refund, just cause you didn't like it? :confused:

MMOs bring out the worst in some people, similar to FPS games. I've never understood why, it's just a bloody game, some people will like it, some won't but we always get a small minority on either side that is utterly convinced that anyone disagreeing with them is either a clueless fanboy or a bitter hater.

Though compared to MW vs BF arguments this is polite. :D

TheDoc wrote: »

Then you definitely didn't play a hunter. :p

MMORPG article (not review): http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/feature/5956/Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-The-Droid-I-Was-Looking-For.html

Kinda sums up my thinking. Duoing in this game and grouping general is more rewarding than in previous MMOs I've played. Not a point really if you're trying to powerlevel* (unless you've got a hand picked partner they'll slow you down) but I've enjoyed the casual grouping I've done so far in the game.

*Not powerlevelling this one because 1) I enjoy the stories and am doing quite a bit of alting and 2) My guild is taking a pretty laid back approach to this game and not in a rush to get raiding.

• Advertisement

doing exactly that myself, not guilded just duo-ing everything we can with a friend. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement