Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swtor boredom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

nesf wrote: »
    Kinda sums up my thinking. Duoing in this game and grouping general is more rewarding than in previous MMOs I've played.

This is the one thing that from beta-testing, I think Bioware has genuinely added to the MMO genre. The incentive to group with others is shown in social XP points & the rather nice cut-scene group interactions that can be had during storylines if more than one person enters the cut-scene.

Yes, other MMOs encourage grouping; otherwise we wouldn't have clans in Planetside, Guilds in SWG or Guildwars, or full on galactic battles in Eve, but this is just that little bit different to bring something new to the table

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

GarethBah wrote: »
    Not sure why you are hating on SWTOR, yes it's got some bugs but it's nothing that can be fixed can I ask what level you got to before you stopped playing?

Level 50 Assassin in beta, level 50 Gunslinger in beta. 3 x level 16 to 19 an various EU servers when it hit live and what I made my main, a level 24 Assassin on a US server.
    What would that matter anyway, anything I've said related to the levelling experience not end game, of which there is none of any worth to speak of anyway. Even the pvp gear you grind for at 50 is RNG in regards whether or not you get something you can use or you don't already have from the bags.
    I'd level 24 pvp valour on the level 24 Assassin before I stopped playing.

Anyone wrote: »
    Oxo, why cant you just go away if you don't like it? And lol at asking people if they work for bioware or ea just because they don't agree with you.

He said people were lying, hardly disagreeing, don't mind disagreeing as that's what the forums are, a method of debate but exclaiming people are lying is a well known shilling tactic to shout down and drown out criticisms, hence my reason for asking.

If he was just saying people were lying because it was somehow hurting his ego in regards a corporate gaming entity like EA or Bioware then fair enough, though that's even more pathetic.

Kiith wrote: »
    So you're allowed to give your opinion, but when someone else does he's a fanboy? Fair enough, you don't like it. But does that mean no one is allowed to like it? :rolleyes:

I've personally had maybe 2 bugs happen to me. Fell through the floor once, and got stuck in a looting animation. That's it. Required 2 relogs, totalling about 60 seconds lost playtime. Maybe i'm just lucky though. It's not perfect, no one is saying that. But most of us seem to think what is there is good enough to keep us interested. There are a fair few things i don't like about the game, but there are more things i love about the game, and that's why i'll keep playing.

And you're giving out about the Customer Support, even though you said earlier that you got a full refund, just cause you didn't like it? :confused:

I've no problem with disagreeing, whole point of debate and democracy itself. Don't like being called a liar or shouted down because of my opinions though, even though every one of them are valid and duplicated numerous times on their official forums.
    Not stopping anyone enjoying the game but why some feel the need to defend it's issues, cover up it's faults and deny it serious shortcomings is beyond me.
    I loved PlanetSide but I hated SOE, I like Wow a lot but I hate Blizzard for the direction they took some of the game. I even liked Rift a lot, maxed out my character both pve and pvp wise, Trion were great at releasing content and improving faults but there are still serious issues with the game and I wouldn't recommend it until they are fixed.

While I generally really liked Wow, planetside and Rift for example, I always spoke out in regards their shortcomings and serious failings at times - if it wasn't for people like me who did the same, nothing would ever change.
    I was one of those involved in pointing out serious security problems in Rift for example, as I have done for SWTOR (which has been ignored) which was similar to Rift's problem in regards knowing someone's login email and just randomly putting anything in for their password. Though EA/BW have patched the login procedure to stop people abusing it for hacking accounts, your account can still get locked out if someone enters in your password incorrectly 7 times. Enjoy your long stint on the phone to support after that trying to get it unlocked.

You don't bring about change in games by staying quiet and just saying prayers to baby Jesus every night in the hope miracles happen. You need to speak your mind.

I'll gladly come back to the game, buy another copy and enjoy it fully in probably about 6 months to a year if the game is still going and has been drastically improved. Maybe they'll surprise all of us speaking out against it and telling them the faults, improve it all and then some - but I doubt it, though I'd hope I was wrong as apart from my serious misgivings I have with the game, I generally liked playing it and it has a lot of potential elsewhere.

Also, why do you feel the need to defend their customer support in your last sentence or question any validity about doubts being raised about them ?
    Go ring them yourself and see how long it takes to get a response.
    I got my refund via the Origin EA online Live support system, from a guy in India. Just got a confirmation email from them too and the refund included the pre-order fee, which is better still, even if it was only a fiver.
    Dear xxx xxx,
    Thank you for ordering on Origin. A refund has been generated for your order as a result of your request.

Refund Details
    Order Number: xxxxxxxxxxx
    Order Date: 13 December 2011
    Amount: 54.99 €

While you may not have had many bugs (and bugs I can live with) and you may be content with the games numerous failings and lazy development. I'm not, and as a customer I had and have the right to demand they're addressed and fixed, whether you or anyone else likes it or not. I'm not alone in that feeling either. We could all just walk away, discount the game as a complete and utter failure and just leave it to languish with the remaining ardent fanboy element who'd be content with anything really. Or we can try get the issue addressed, changed, improved and serious failings and lazy development fixed.

I've got my refund so I'm easy either way at this stage really. In a few months the game will probably be given away for next to nothing anyway if it's worth coming back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭nix

The bitching and whining in this thread is just stupid tbh, majority of you bitches and whiners are just being selfish obnoxious assholes.

Its been less than two weeks since release, give it a chance and let it grow.

Gawd online gaming has turned to **** ever since that wow crap came about, you're all like spoiled little brats with your whining :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Lemming wrote: »
    This is the one thing that from beta-testing, I think Bioware has genuinely added to the MMO genre. The incentive to group with others is shown in social XP points & the rather nice cut-scene group interactions that can be had during storylines if more than one person enters the cut-scene.

Yes, other MMOs encourage grouping; otherwise we wouldn't have clans in Planetside, Guilds in SWG or Guildwars, or full on galactic battles in Eve, but this is just that little bit different to bring something new to the table

Yeah normally I level almost completely solo and just be part of a guild for banter. It's different this time and I'm grouping a lot more and getting rewarded for doing it which is nice. I lie the variety of group quests too, from soloable 2+ stuff to definitely not soloable 4 man stuff. Guilds were always necessary for endgame stuff, or at least to get the full experience it was, but I think this is the first time where actually levelling with a friend benefits you more than just having someone's company while playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

nix wrote: »
    The bitching and whining in this thread is just stupid tbh, majority of you bitches and whiners are just being selfish obnoxious assholes.

Its been less than two weeks since release, give it a chance and let it grow.

Gawd online gaming has turned to **** ever since that wow crap came about, you're all like spoiled little brats with your whining :rolleyes:

Very tactful...

Its true though, minor issues turn people into mindless whine machines. They expect games to be perfect at launch and blast it to high hell if its not, ive watched this trend from mmo to mmo.. Its sad really

I played beta and while it had some bugs, it was still highly fun to play, things can only get better, but people fail to see that, they'd just much rather jump off and whine instead of just riding it out..

They whine about bugs and then when the servers are taken offline to fix the bugs they whine that they cant logon and blast the company some more, its pure selfishness, child-like if you will :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I cancelled my sub but il play the rest of my free days, but seriously the only reason i cancelled it is the quests are literally all the same kill 30 bonus pop up click item bonus pop up kill xxxxxxx bloke repeat.

Im bored to tears now at lvl 31 because i know every quest im getting is the exact same thing thing. Ive never seen anything so brazenly copy and paste in my life, absolutely nothing else to do but kill **** this is star wars !! they could have done amazing quests and pve stuff but its just the same thing over and over.

They could have done so much more and considering the selling point of this game is pve im fairly disappointed.

they whine that they cant logon and blast the company some more, its pure selfishness, child-like if you will :)

Why does it bother you that people are openly complaining about serious problems, misgivings and blatant lazy development of the game ? If nobody complains nothing will get fixed and nothing is a stronger complaint than cancelling your account, ending your subscription or better still, getting a complete refund. When we've all cancelled you won't hear us "whine" any more and sure there'll be no more queues either, as nobody will be left playing.

Who cares about "the company" anyway ? Couldn't care less if it were Bioware, Blizzard or Bethesda, the complaints still stand regardless about the game - couldn't care less what company is behind it.
    Why people jump on others just because they feel upset that someone has complained about a game made by that company is beyond me, it really is, and then to call them selfish and child-like because they "blast the company" ? What ? :confused:

Do kids these days have EA, BioWare, Blizzard and Bethesda corporate posters hanging up on their walls beside the Man UTD, Liverpool, Barcelona and Celtic posters ?
    If they do then fair enough, I'm out of touch and getting old. Better pop down to TKMaxx tomorrow and see if there's any T-shirts floating about with EA, Bioware or Blizzards logo's on them, get with the times and all that, dump the G-Star and Ben Sherman. I'll be hitting the clubs this weekend with a BioWare logo complete with a pic of my smooth faced Jedi - picking up them womens yo innit...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

So oxo, whats the plan now that you're no longer playing swtor? back to real life or playing something else?

oxo_ wrote: »
    Why does it bother you that people are openly complaining about serious problems, misgivings and blatant lazy development of the game ? If nobody complains nothing will get fixed and nothing is a stronger complaint than cancelling your account, ending your subscription or better still, getting a complete refund. When we've all cancelled you won't hear us "whine" any more and sure there'll be no more queues either, as nobody will be left playing.

Who cares about "the company" anyway ? Couldn't care less if it were Bioware, Blizzard or Bethesda, the complaints still stand regardless about the game - couldn't care less what company is behind it.
    Why people jump on others just because they feel upset that someone has complained about a game made by that company is beyond me, it really is, and then to call them selfish and child-like because they "blast the company" ? What ? :confused:

Do kids these days have EA, BioWare, Blizzard and Bethesda corporate posters hanging up on their walls beside the Man UTD, Liverpool, Barcelona and Celtic posters ?
    If they do then fair enough, I'm out of touch and getting old. Better pop down to TKMaxx tomorrow and see if there's any T-shirts floating about with EA, Bioware or Blizzards logo's on them, get with the times and all that, dump the G-Star and Ben Sherman. I'll be hitting the clubs this weekend with a BioWare logo complete with a pic of my smooth faced Jedi - picking up them womens yo innit...!

What serious problems has the game got? Besides the obvious bugs that WILL be fixed in time and the extra content that will be added in the near future. What issues has the game got besides them?

And regarding cancelling your sub and ceasing to whine, you're still whining, and also believe it or not, im referring to other people whine baiting the game than just yourself.

Also have you ever made a game before? To warrant your remarks about lazy development?

In regards to the best way to complain, they dont want to hear you complain, believe it or not, the game isnt catered to your need, but to the need of the many. You use the allocated feedback procedures they have in place or you shut the **** up. Or go and work for them since it seems so easy to you.

In regards to your hyperboled posts, the only complaint i can see you making is the mapping of one key "\", thats your biggest complaint from what i can find, a nit picker at best and then you whine about fanbois not doing their job in beta but yet not pointing out exactly what it is they failed to point out.

Srsly brah if you plan to stop whining after canceling your sub, cancel it already and do the gaming world a favour and upgrade your pc with one of these bad boys below:

timebomb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Its true though, minor issues turn people into mindless whine machines. They expect games to be perfect at launch and blast it to high hell if its not, ive watched this trend from mmo to mmo.. Its sad really

I played beta and while it had some bugs, it was still highly fun to play, things can only get better, but people fail to see that, they'd just much rather jump off and whine instead of just riding it out..

They whine about bugs and then when the servers are taken offline to fix the bugs they whine that they cant logon and blast the company some more, its pure selfishness, child-like if you will :)

Yes, people will complain about bugs. Why not?

I've played numerous games over the course of some 25 years, and if a game is not up to standard, I will let the developer know. I'm yet to see any childish whining in here, for the most part it's been well thought and reasonable.

7 years of playing World of Warcraft, and I still post on the forums and threads about it's problems related to PvP. I did it for each beta and PTR since TBC's closed Beta days.

I pass on the complaints I have with SWTOR because it has the potential to be a fantastic MMO, but as has been said, the first month is crucial in the MMO market. It's the make or break time for it.

People don't get as fussed about bugs in Single Player games, because they can easily be avoided. However, in an MMO you're dealing with thousands of people per server, and things like poor class balance can have horrible effects on the player-base opinions.
    Dull/Repetitive levelling can easily stop people from even bothering to reach the level cap.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Yes, people will complain about bugs. Why not?

Ummm, because its pointless, report the bugs and avoid them in the mean time till fixed. Simples.

As for the rest of what you have said, you're preaching to the choir.

In MY experience the problem isnt with the developers its to do with the childish/selfish mentality of the masses, who when find error are likely to drop to the ground kicking and screaming than reporting the issue.

Its how games work, not one game excluded, wow still has issues that require ironing everytime they release a content update and they still have bugs they cant be arsed fixing.

It has been going on for years and still the majority of people in the gaming world carry on like a broken record.

If you can't post without resorting to telling people to shut the fúck up then I can't be bothered debating any points with you, is it any wonder others speak so "highly" of you on mumble and TS :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Okey dokey, this has gone on quite long enough. Locking this for the time being, will revisit it in the morning once I ahve more sleep in me to see if more action is needed.

Right, sorry that took so long but, well, New Years.

I've infracted nix for his comments, and I'm issuing a general warning to that I'm going to be employing a zero tolerance policy on this thread - which is to say, if anyone else decides to throw insults, trolling, or anything else around in here, then I'll lock it for good and infract/ban that person.

Now play nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Raphael wrote: »
    I'm issuing a general warning to that I'm going to be employing a zero tolerance policy on this thread - which is to say, if anyone else decides to throw insults, trolling, or anything else around in here, then I'll lock it for good and infract/ban that person.

Now play nice.

Can we blame the NGE I mean Smedley I mean Lucas* Raph? :pac:

* With apologies to anybody on boards with the name "Lucas"

Well, everything is his fault...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I think it was best said in another thread but if you like single player RPG you will love this game, that much they have done really well and i have to say the questing is the best i have ever done.

Sure it involves killing x amount of mobs ect but as also has been said before you feel you are doing it for a purpose. The end game is something i have to see but i will say this the dungeons could use some sort of PUG system, as it can take ages to find people to group with. I am in two minds about that though as it really feels like there is a population as people need to group together.

Finishing up i think i will leave this right here as i think its related but also funny.

cad-20120102-58761.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Maybe it's just down to the fact I have a great cohesive guild that always has people ready to party up with whatever I need doing but I'm still having a great time in SWTOR. Cleared Foundry as part of the first group from my guild last night and we're pretty much farming it with teams now. PvP aside from Huttball is excellent and even the latter is fun when you get two decent teams coming up against one another. Space combat is essentially Rogue Squadron which I loved back on the 64.

That's not even beginning with my rampant altoholism.

On a side note, do people still read CAD? B^Uckley's art style is still awful and I saw that Gungan joke weeks ago.

[Edit] Found it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Its true though, minor issues turn people into mindless whine machines.

Have to disagree, the issues with this game are not minor. And with a game in developement for over two years, with that sort of budget, should have allocated some resources into R&D to identify where other MMO's failed, and why WoW has suceeded.

From the plathora of issues, bugs and nuisances that swtor holds, I'll simply identify the character responsiveness as my biggest gripe.

For those who dont know what this is, this is the time it takes from you to press an action, and your character to respond to that action.

WoW nailed this from day one, and when you go play other MMO's, the slower response times actually is pretty annoying.

SWTOR has a SERIOUS delay time in making an action happen,
    Cancelling a cast to action another ability
    Performing abilities within PVP ( takes an eternity)
    Performing clutch moves in flashpoints and operations
    And more.

This has been widely reported on the bioware forums and as has been rightly indicated numerous times, this should be top of their list to resolve or this game wont get passed the summer.

I've said before and I'll say it again. This game had two years developement and a moneyless budget. It was going into a market where there is FULL availability of research on failed competitors that attempted before.

There is one of the BIGGEST gaming IP's as your main competitor.

If you can't identify the basics that make an MMO function correctly, keep people enthralled then it simply won't last.

I'm definitly not in the minority either. While the endless dialogue was a nice touch, I find myself listening to the class dialogue and the world bonus', while pressing spacebar + 1 for all the rest. If there was an option to turn off cinematics for "grab and go" quests, I would. It slows down the gameplay for me and breaks up what I want to be doing, levelling and smashing stuff.

There is definitly flavour of the month syndrome appearing in this thread. " O its a new MMO give it a chance". It will have a chance, and it needs to quickly identify the issues with itself and fix them accordingly.

This was never going to be a WoW beater out of the box. But many would assume that it would have been a perfect alternative and then longterm perhaps eclipse. ( that was the best case scenario).

At the moment I'd say there will be a MASSIVE drop off after the 30 day period. And remember that the US outnumber Europe by nearly 3:1 in terms of active subscriptions. And with the realm maintenance being done on US time ( even though the servers are in Dublin ) these little nuisances all build up in a volatile MMO market.

Fingers crossed it fixes stuff and keeps going. I want to have two MMO's to play, but at this point I can only see myself playing one by the start of summer 2012 : /

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Got to lv44 with Merc BH. I was bored to tears. Guildies suggested it was because I wasn't play melee.

Re-rolled Juggernaut and am loving it now. Completely evil. *shocks Vette*

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm also having a massive whinge that my guild/mates rolled Republic when I wanted to go Empire....

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

It's early days for myself on SWTOR. I have got my commando to lvl 11. So far I have been very impressed with the game. As good as WoW vanilla on release. I remember being captivated by WoW at the beginning after rolling my Tauren hunter in Mulgore. Sure there were server problems and some seriously stupid bugs (anyone remember the pet couldn't stay at same run speed as your toon and having to resummon every 30 seconds!!), but I could forgive that for the overall polish and class to the game.

I've played several MMO's since WoW and this is the first one since it to provide such a high level of polish. I know it's early days and I've no idea of end game yet, but hopefully it continues to be enjoyable.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Personally i cant get enough of it.
    At times the sheer scale of the planets make it feel lonely compared to other mmos but overall its the best mmo ive played in years.
    Being a healer at heart it helps that the mechanic of bounty hunter and imperial agent healing [and their counterparts on republic] are easily the best ive played in any mmo,pure genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The only gripe I have is that the instancing is too severe. It makes sense to instance off planets so that you don't have 100 people fighting for the same mob waiting for it to respawn....but they have overdone it. It makes it harder to group as you are less likely to bump into somebody and are relying on General chat.

This isn't an issue at all during peak time.....but I think their 'ratio' of players to instances is designed for peak time in mind. If you play at 3 am in the morning, there is 20 people in your area and they all have their own instance. thats not good.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

This i agree with, it too is my main gripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Kirby wrote: »
    The only gripe I have is that the instancing is too severe. It makes sense to instance off planets so that you don't have 100 people fighting for the same mob waiting for it to respawn....but they have overdone it. It makes it harder to group as you are less likely to bump into somebody and are relying on General chat.

This isn't an issue at all during peak time.....but I think their 'ratio' of players to instances is designed for peak time in mind. If you play at 3 am in the morning, there is 20 people in your area and they all have their own instance. thats not good.

It's essentially a "Sometimes Online Multiplayer Role Playing Game". Instancing is just painful. Outside the 2 starting worlds population dips to around 89 on average on BD. Now factor in that every world has two instances that means that in any given instance you only have 40+ other players around you. Now factor in that the maps are WAY too big and spaced out and you go one big desert on your hands.

I think the world design is sh*t, one of the worst iv seen for any MMO, it's not inspiring and Bioware don't seem to have grasped the idea of what contested areas in PVP actually are. As of yet iv seen exactly 4 Republic players during my times in PVP areas. Most of this is down to their bases being half way across the sun on the same world.... another being that any shared quest lines take place in a ungodly massive area where your lucky to see anything.

My biggest gripe is the UI. It's hands down the worst UI iv dealt with from a AAA game in a long time. Again it's some Bioware haven't really done much though into what a MMO essentially is, repetitive actions. Their UI is a ****ing b*tch to get around to do what you want and comparing items is a sure way of tearing your hair out.

The game really is average in every way possible and I seriously doubt it's credibility is sustainable down the long road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭MikeyJoyce

Hi First off i haven't read all of the posts on this because i am in class but i taught i would just add my opinion.

Well for me the game got boring fast.. ( this may have been induced by the wonderful steam sale where i spent a whole load of my money :P )

Having been a World of Warcraft Player for almost 4 years i was keen to jump into swtor ASAP as wow has lost what it once was and has lost the entertainment value for me. There are a lot of points i agree with here such as UI being a tad bit rubbish (imo) and the world being really spaced out and the fact that it mostly feels like a single player game.

I only really got my character to level 20 but it was a trial for me to get that far and it felt really grindy and tbh i came to star wars to get away from that.. I know i know STORY is all i keep hearing from everyone but tbh i don't see what all the big fuss is about with the story seems average to me.. ( please don't stone me to death :D )

I don't know i think im going to hold out until the big one and jump at Guild wars 2 * fingers crossed sometime soon *

I might give the game another go and see what happens tonight see if i get the old *WOW* factor :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement