Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swtor boredom

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I think what's happened with this game is that Bioware has created an RPG that happens to have more traditional MMO elements included and to the veteran MMO people who're perhaps more interested in power-levelling and end game raids and so on, the story/RP element is just needless fluff. For me, it's the only reason I'm playing the game.

The game has quite a few flaws tbh, but it wouldn't be Star Wars if it didn't :D The story, for me as a Star Wars fanboy is fun. It's not Pulitzer Prize stuff by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a fun look into the Star Wars universe and doesn't really have to worry about upsetting anything in the films.

I think the level design, whilst impressive looking in places (I think Corruscant and Nar Shadda for example look fantastic) is a little bit too open and you spend more way time than you need to wandering from A to B and back again via C. I've got my STAP bike working now (currently a lvl 26 Jedi Guardian), so that certainly helps. Whilst there's a lot going on with the environment, you're only really looking at the middle of the screen so a lot of it simply gets lost in the periphery and won't ever really be appreciated. I guess Bioware saw us all taking some time to appreciate the environments whilst we're on that long walk across the map :p

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm also having a massive whinge that my guild/mates rolled Republic when I wanted to go Empire....

That's what you get for being a sheep :p

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Kirby wrote: »
    The only gripe I have is that the instancing is too severe. It makes sense to instance off planets so that you don't have 100 people fighting for the same mob waiting for it to respawn....but they have overdone it. It makes it harder to group as you are less likely to bump into somebody and are relying on General chat.

This isn't an issue at all during peak time.....but I think their 'ratio' of players to instances is designed for peak time in mind. If you play at 3 am in the morning, there is 20 people in your area and they all have their own instance. thats not good.

Yeah I'd agree with this but conversely when doing one of those annoying quests where you're competing for drops or mission nodes with other players I'm very thankful for the instancing. I've bad, bad memories of competing for quest mobs in WoW during heavy levelling periods when everyone was in a rush to level.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

witless1 wrote: »
    That's what you get for being a sheep :p

shhhhhhhhhh

I'll roll a little Imperial with you at some stage during the year :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm of two minds on the instancing. On one hand, fighting for a mob is annoying as hell, but on the other hand, the place seems utterly dead at times. Could they not just make any rare quest spawn a public type quest, where anyone who is nearby and does damage gets to share the loot?

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm of two minds on the instancing. On one hand, fighting for a mob is annoying as hell, but on the other hand, the place seems utterly dead at times. Could they not just make any rare quest spawn a public type quest, where anyone who is nearby and does damage gets to share the loot?

That's good on one hand, I liked it in Warhammer, but it has problems in that encourages freeloading. Though instancing off main quest crucial mobs like SWTOR does is something I like and hope to see more of in other MMOs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭nix

Have to disagree, the issues with this game are not minor. And with a game in developement for over two years, with that sort of budget, should have allocated some resources into R&D to identify where other MMO's failed, and why WoW has suceeded.

From the plathora of issues, bugs and nuisances that swtor holds, I'll simply identify the character responsiveness as my biggest gripe.

For those who dont know what this is, this is the time it takes from you to press an action, and your character to respond to that action.

WoW nailed this from day one, and when you go play other MMO's, the slower response times actually is pretty annoying.

SWTOR has a SERIOUS delay time in making an action happen,
    Cancelling a cast to action another ability
    Performing abilities within PVP ( takes an eternity)
    Performing clutch moves in flashpoints and operations
    And more.

This has been widely reported on the bioware forums and as has been rightly indicated numerous times, this should be top of their list to resolve or this game wont get passed the summer.

I've said before and I'll say it again. This game had two years developement and a moneyless budget. It was going into a market where there is FULL availability of research on failed competitors that attempted before.

There is one of the BIGGEST gaming IP's as your main competitor.

If you can't identify the basics that make an MMO function correctly, keep people enthralled then it simply won't last.

I'm definitly not in the minority either. While the endless dialogue was a nice touch, I find myself listening to the class dialogue and the world bonus', while pressing spacebar + 1 for all the rest. If there was an option to turn off cinematics for "grab and go" quests, I would. It slows down the gameplay for me and breaks up what I want to be doing, levelling and smashing stuff.

There is definitly flavour of the month syndrome appearing in this thread. " O its a new MMO give it a chance". It will have a chance, and it needs to quickly identify the issues with itself and fix them accordingly.

This was never going to be a WoW beater out of the box. But many would assume that it would have been a perfect alternative and then longterm perhaps eclipse. ( that was the best case scenario).

At the moment I'd say there will be a MASSIVE drop off after the 30 day period. And remember that the US outnumber Europe by nearly 3:1 in terms of active subscriptions. And with the realm maintenance being done on US time ( even though the servers are in Dublin ) these little nuisances all build up in a volatile MMO market.

Fingers crossed it fixes stuff and keeps going. I want to have two MMO's to play, but at this point I can only see myself playing one by the start of summer 2012 : /

Excellent points DoC, and i wouldn't call the character responses minor issues. You have brought forward many issues which would warrant discussion.

Apologies to all for my first initial post in this topic, it was OTT and uncalled for and not me.. Only reason i erupted was because i tired of people complaining about nothing really.. And discouraging people from trying out what could be to them, a fun game.

However in response to your character responses issue, i think it just appears slow etc since they eradicated the need for a cast bar in this game. But you're right it does seem pretty crappy when fighting moving targets. Infact the fighting resembles AoC alot in that the fight animations do need to be more sudden so that the targets arent 10feet away when the animation is done and the blow lands. The problem was in wow too but they done a good job in making it seem less lame. Lag is also a huge factor which i bet this game is having alot of issues with being new :(

nix wrote: »
    Lag is also a huge factor which i bet this game is having alot of issues with being new :(

I've got a top spec machine and running between 9-20 ms to the server.

Any issues with lag are serverside : /

Another gripe I have is the hardware drain in certain areas, ltierally taking AGEs to load up.

Seemingly has been pointed out that its caused by the "grass" of all things, and will hopefully be hotfixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Infraction and editing your post is already more rope than I would have given you. Re-editing your post to continue the "debate" is against the rules of boards. (Debate moderation decisions through PM, not on-thread)

nix, 7 day ban.
    [edit]
    ban reduced to 3 days, following a review of the situation.
    [/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Spunge wrote: »
    Response on second page:
    Greetings dewbacca,

I apologize for the miss communication which you have received. Please let me clarify, it is of course possible to cancel a subscription at any time. If and when you decide to return to your account and activate a subscription, your account will be as you left it.

I hope that this has not caused any inconvenience or too much confusion.
    Thanks!

Go into Mandalorian instance to get my daily done. Bugs out after finishing and doesnt complete the daily.

Go into warzone to play a match to do my daily participation and daily victory. 50's seconds from the end, game has internal crash....

..says it all really...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Go into Mandalorian instance to get my daily done. Bugs out after finishing and doesnt complete the daily.

Go into warzone to play a match to do my daily participation and daily victory. 50's seconds from the end, game has internal crash....

..says it all really...

I just find it weird that i dont suffer any of what you do.
    Ive done countless flashpoints and warfronts , the only issue i had was when i got knocked down from a bridge during a boss fight only to spawn back at the fleet ship.
    Apart from that no flashpoint or warfront bugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The game has only crashed once on me and it may have had more to do with having browser open on another display and listening to podcast and trying to download all my new steam games.

have got a good few graphical errors, colours flashing, odd shadows on things, and stuff disappearing or never appearing in the first place. Also the odd UI problem but that's fixed easily each time.

Dcully wrote: »
    Ive done countless flashpoints and warfronts , the only issue i had was when i got knocked down from a bridge during a boss fight only to spawn back at the fleet ship.

I've seen a few quest bugs but nothing a quick read on Torhead didn't fix. The exception was one game ending one on my Sith Warrior that prevented him from entering a class quest instance are on Dromund Kass, thus stopping his progress dead. Since I like to alt a lot, not a big deal but still, an annoying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Has anyone noticed that after about an hour online, your guild tab completely fecks up and stops showing people online even though they are....and you are chatting to them? :p

An odd one that.

Kirby wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed that after about an hour online, your guild tab completely fecks up and stops showing people online even though they are....and you are chatting to them? :p

An odd one that.

Yeah, Ctrl+U and then Ctrl+U again reloads the UI and fixes it. Or at least I think it reloads the UI, works regardless.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Forgor to mention i do get the occasional unresponsive UI causing me to have to reload ui to fix, luckily it didnt happen during a boss fight [ yet ]

Might be just bad luck, but when I do a serach through bioware forums I see others with the same issues I experience.

Its hard to pinpoint with so many variables, but its just frustrating when the time you invest essentially is wasted on nothing.

Have to say since I stopped doing heroics, flahpoints and pvp and just pure quest grinded, I've enjoyed the experience a little more, being putting together BIS lists etc.

Fix the annoying time wasting bugs and I'd probably be alot happier.

Also tried putting the cast timer thing to 1 second and it was a nightmare, dont know how it works but essentially missed every single interupt, put it back to 0.0 and it was much better then 1.0 for reaction casts

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Might be just bad luck, but when I do a serach through bioware forums I see others with the same issues I experience.

Its hard to pinpoint with so many variables, but its just frustrating when the time you invest essentially is wasted on nothing.

Have to say since I stopped doing heroics, flahpoints and pvp and just pure quest grinded, I've enjoyed the experience a little more, being putting together BIS lists etc.

Fix the annoying time wasting bugs and I'd probably be alot happier.

Also tried putting the cast timer thing to 1 second and it was a nightmare, dont know how it works but essentially missed every single interupt, put it back to 0.0 and it was much better then 1.0 for reaction casts

Whatever works. :) The default for everyone is 0.5 seconds by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

Forgor to mention i do get the occasional unresponsive UI causing me to have to reload ui to fix, luckily it didnt happen during a boss fight [ yet ]

Happens to me quite allot happen to me last night nice bit of blue loot dropped for me droid got UI bug couldn't click on loot and have to reload after i did that i couldn't loot at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Iv found the boredom really set in now, just don't feel compelled to play nothing has me going "Oh i want to relog and try that". Im in a place in my story where the game has told me what is going to happen but then was like "just wait 10 more levels for it to actually happen" ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

cancelled sub today, l8r money!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

The only thing upsetting me is that I got a purple drop in a pretty major boss fight within the commando storyline, lag kicked in and when I got reconnected I had died, when I revived the corpse had disappeared :(

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

Draupnir wrote: »
    The only thing upsetting me is that I got a purple drop in a pretty major boss fight within the commando storyline, lag kicked in and when I got reconnected I had died, when I revived the corpse had disappeared :(

i dont understand why the game is so laggy, its not peoples internet connection or bad rigs, because people with 2000 dollar gaming rigs and the best fibre optic broadband have also complained about terrible lag and latency..

for a game with wow graphics,i shouldnt have to turn off all shadows and bloom and put settings to low-medium in order to try reduce latency.. my rig is good enough to handle any new release,they really need to sort out their engine coz this alone will lose them subs over the coming months when people try to raid and have these issues

CyberJuice wrote: »
    i dont understand why the game is so laggy, its not peoples internet connection or bad rigs, because people with 2000 dollar gaming rigs and the best fibre optic broadband have also complained about terrible lag and latency..

for a game with wow graphics,i shouldnt have to turn off all shadows and bloom and put settings to low-medium in order to try reduce latency.. my rig is good enough to handle any new release,they really need to sort out their engine coz this alone will lose them subs over the coming months when people try to raid and have these issues

I haven't seen much lag to be honest. Once in pvp and once in pve over what 2 weeks of play? Seems to be a more sporadic and intermittent problem than a constant one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

I was killing a boss at 43 last night and couldn't kill him because i was forced to have a stupid non healing companion on my Powertech so i killed his droid minnnions like 10 times b4 i managed it and one of them on like the 7th try dropped a purple high end chestpiece yay :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Level 37 powertech and level 13 operative, really ****ing bored!

I'm on Hoth with the powertech, it's worse than Tatooine (I disliked Tatooine). I don't even care about the quest store is at this stage, I just hammer space and 2 every time I enter a quest conversation.

So much work to be done to make this game more fun, the same thing happened me with Rift except I didn't actually like Rift as much as I like this game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd probably be bored if i was skipping all the conversations as well.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    I'd probably be bored if i was skipping all the conversations as well.

Ditto.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement