Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swtor boredom

Options

Comments

Kiith wrote: »
    I'd probably be bored if i was skipping all the conversations as well.

Thats the only thing which kept me entertained. But even that gets boring. Cancelled my sub :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I feel the money spent would have been better put into quality testing and actual content developement.

I really just spacebar through every side quest missions.

I'd also be expecting down the line an option to auto skip conversations

I would not be impressed running a daily dungeon for gear or rep or whatever, having to do the same conversations over and over. Dailies, and dungeons, will eventually become something you want to get through ASAP, so having an extra 15 minutes with dialogue would be absolutely bollox.

I can see when I level alts, purely spacbaring through everything bar class quests

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I decided to stick with my BH healer to lvl first.
    Im 39 atm and must say im far from happy with the layout of the planets/zones.
    Taris,Quesh,Alderaan are absolutely terrible,im on Hoth now and its not much better.
    The design and layout are just not entertaining or intersting,its as if they said lets stick a quest hub here and there,very bland indeed.
    Also the server im on is one of the most populated in Europe,always Heavy and still the odd queue yet some planets theres nobody about.
    I was on Quesh lastnight with a grand total of 19 players on the planet @ 9pm.
    An mmo needs to feel alive and populated imo, they should scrap instancing planets it just hinders things imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Kiith wrote: »
    I'd probably be bored if i was skipping all the conversations as well.

Convo's just getting boring though, they reuse the same responses over and over again "Murder and Mayhem awaits" ," Oh im dying to know", "The suspense is killing me". Half the time my character displays the same amount of interest that I am.

The story works up to a point then falls flat on it's face. This is an MMO, i can't just do main story line missions cause ill be under leveled ill have to do ****ty side quests and boy are they rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Dcully wrote: »
    I decided to stick with my BH healer to lvl first.
    Im 39 atm and must say im far from happy with the layout of the planets/zones.
    Taris,Quesh,Alderaan are absolutely terrible,im on Hoth now and its not much better.
    The design and layout are just not entertaining or intersting,its as if they said lets stick a quest hub here and there,very bland indeed.
    Also the server im on is one of the most populated in Europe,always Heavy and still the odd queue yet some planets theres nobody about.
    I was on Quesh lastnight with a grand total of 19 players on the planet @ 9pm.
    An mmo needs to feel alive and populated imo, they should scrap instancing planets it just hinders things imo.

You are ahead the pack man. I know it's annoying hearing that as it annoyed me when on BH but it's true. Balmorra is fairly active on my server. Nar Shaddaa as well. People are either levelling slowly or powering to lv50. Seems like a small in between

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

You are ahead the pack man. I know it's annoying hearing that as it annoyed me when on BH but it's true. Balmorra is fairly active on my server. Nar Shaddaa as well. People are either levelling slowly or powering to lv50. Seems like a small in between

Played Quesh last night 15 people on that planet mind you you cleared it in about 2 hours if you slow.

Who knows but it's certainly easy to say that if subs drop after the first month things will get even worse. Mean seriously all the mid to high level planets are dead and it doesn't help then that they instance these dead zones aswell so you get to enjoy a total of 20 people or less on your instance.

As a "PVP" game it fails sooooo hard. The world design just sucks and really does more to discourage PVP rather then encourage it. It couldn't be any different to Rift where once you go into your early 20's you started getting hit with a LOT of PvP from the opposing faction quiet early on.

Just as the days go by the more I think that this game is a over priced poorly executed MMO. Not wanting to sound like im jumping on the bandwagon but I can foresee it tanking within the next 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Players on the other faction on your planet don't show up in that number. You can't who or communicate with them either. Bare that in mind.

But yes, they instance too heavily. They need better code to figure out a good ratio.

Kirby wrote: »
    Players on the other faction on your planet don't show up in that number. You can't who or communicate with them either. Bare that in mind.

But yes, they instance too heavily. They need better code to figure out a good ratio.

Im well aware of that. Im also aware that by and large Empire players outnumber Republic players in the majority of servers so I can only imagine that the 'lics only have about 10 people in some of these worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Stev_o wrote: »
    Im well aware of that. Im also aware that by and large Empire players outnumber Republic players in the majority of servers so I can only imagine that the 'lics only have about 10 people in some of these worlds.

Yup, from about Alderaan on, I was on planets with 2/3 others at all times. This was on Basilisk Droid which is one of the heavier servers it seems

• Advertisement

From a design perspective it just makes no sense and really it seems like Bioware hadn't really researched world design in MMO's. Every planet doesn't need to be a giant waste land which hordes of empty space. Ugh I dunno the shine of the game has really faded for me and it's just crazy when someone says to me "Btw this is the 2nd most successful MMO right now" im like :eek: it rarely shows off this "success" even in these "full" servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

sure people had to sign up to take a look, give it 6 months and see what sort of state it's in.

also introduces a pet peeve of mine, too many servers to choose from initially which leaves low populations on some, and waiting queues on others. An expand as necessary approach is needed.

Also, maybe take out some of the server flavours, I mean, if people want to RP let them, it rarely happens to a huge extent even on RP servers. Maybe make them all PvP, as it's a days march to the enemy anyway so you can play in the PVE without fear of enemies (for the most part).

Interestingly enough, WoW had little TV presense when it launched and yet has had alot of adds when expansions roll around. The Chuck Norris one is on the TV alot at the moment.

I haven't seen any ads at all for The Old Republic on tv. Considering they have a big budget, I wonder why that is. Maybe they have tv ads only in America. Strange decision considering how big the market in europe is. Maybe like WoW we will see them in the future. TV is king for the casual market. They won't know about the game from the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Ive seen TV ad's and i have actually seen posters in the bus stop ect so i think they are spending it.

Realistically if they are going to do marketing campaign they wont be spending much on the Irish market due to its size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

Regards adverts on TV - I've seen a fair few on satellite channels from Europe. Was a few product placement "reviews" on various channels and a whole half hour last night on a Polish channel of some guy reviewing the game as he levelled up to level 27, showing various instances, a lot of cutscenes and some huttball.
    Obvious PP's rather than independent reviews though.
    Looks like €A spent a lot of cash shilling as usual. Same can be said of many magazine and site reviews, clear shilling of the game rather than proper reviews without monetary influence of one sort or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

oxo_ wrote: »
    Regards adverts on TV - I've seen a fair few on satellite channels from Europe. Was a few product placement "reviews" on various channels and a whole half hour last night on a Polish channel of some guy reviewing the game as he levelled up to level 27, showing various instances, a lot of cutscenes and some huttball.
    Obvious PP's rather than independent reviews though.
    Looks like €A spent a lot of cash shilling as usual. Same can be said of many magazine and site reviews, clear shilling of the game rather than proper reviews without monetary influence of one sort or another.

Probably the only review ive seen thats not paid off and sums up how i felt about the game.

And im finding any review of this game to be a huge WTF i cant believe the score's its getting the game is far far far from a 9 or or anything around that mark it just does not deserve the praise its gotten.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, cause no reviewer could possibly like the game and was obviously paid off :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

It's not about liking the game or not, it's about giving an honest review without any undue influence of others, editorial, industry shilling or otherwise.

GamePro's review Lone Stone linked above is quiet decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

oxo_ wrote: »
    It's not about liking the game or not, it's about giving an honest review without any undue influence of others, editorial, industry shilling or otherwise.

GamePro's review Lone Stone linked above is quiet decent.

So it's honest because you agree with it and it's unduly influenced if you don't? You do realise quite a few people are actually genuinely enjoying this game yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I don't trust any game reviewer. They can be biased on either side. Sometimes its good to slate a game just for hits. Vice versa its good to give a game praise as the publisher sorts you out with exclusive reviews.

• Advertisement

I don't trust any game reviewer. They can be biased on either side. Sometimes its good to slate a game just for hits. Vice versa its good to give a game praise as the publisher sorts you out with exclusive reviews.

Exactly. They're journalists when you get down to it and journalists need to sell copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Almost all the people in that review admitted they skipped the cutscenes, no wonder they think it's just grind :p

It makes me laugh so much when people whine that a game is a wow clone yet they then go on to complain "it doesn't have this, why not wow has this" Maybe they are just in denial at how much time they spent playing wow and are loathe to give that up :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    Almost all the people in that review admitted they skipped the cutscenes, no wonder they think it's just grind :p

It makes me laugh so much when people whine that a game is a wow clone yet they then go on to complain "it doesn't have this, why not wow has this" Maybe they are just in denial at how much time they spent playing wow and are loathe to give that up :p

I stopped watching at 0:58 when the Asian chick said she'd been playing on the "blue side, which most people call the alliance side like in WoW."

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Omphin

Branoic wrote: »
    I stopped watching at 0:58 when the Asian chick said she'd been playing on the "blue side, which most people call the alliance side like in WoW."

the people in that video are the most miserable people i have ever seen. seriously, they need to take a hot bath with a razor

Stuff like this completely confuses me. I can understand wanting to discuss something you liked or disliked with like minded people. But to base your opinion on what somebody else says before even forming one of your own?

Reviews that tell you information about a game are useful. Platform, Graphics, Category, Theme, bugs etc. Useful. You get knowledge you didn't already have.

Reviews that have a person give their opinion? Useless. You are unique. What somebody else likes isn't going to be the same and basing your decision to get something on what ANYONE else thinks is ridiculously stupid.

I never let somebody else tell me whats good and what isn't whether its roger ebert, or some loon on the internet. Better to find out for yourself. I've enjoyed stuff that was near universally loathed and I have Hated stuff universally loved by the masses. You never know.....as your tastes are your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Interestingly enough, WoW had little TV presense when it launched and yet has had alot of adds when expansions roll around. The Chuck Norris one is on the TV alot at the moment.

I haven't seen any ads at all for The Old Republic on tv. Considering they have a big budget, I wonder why that is. Maybe they have tv ads only in America. Strange decision considering how big the market in europe is. Maybe like WoW we will see them in the future. TV is king for the casual market. They won't know about the game from the internet.

considering blizzard make probably a billion dollars per year alone, from just WoW. I think they can afford it.

Stuff like this completely confuses me. I can understand wanting to discuss something you liked or disliked with like minded people. But to base your opinion on what somebody else says before even forming one of your own?

Reviews that tell you information about a game are useful. Platform, Graphics, Category, Theme, bugs etc. Useful. You get knowledge you didn't already have.

Reviews that have a person give their opinion? Useless. You are unique. What somebody else likes isn't going to be the same and basing your decision to get something on what ANYONE else thinks is ridiculously stupid.

I never let somebody else tell me whats good and what isn't whether its roger ebert, or some loon on the internet. Better to find out for yourself. I've enjoyed stuff that was near universally loathed and I have Hated stuff universally loved by the masses. You never know.....as your tastes are your own.

If you can find a reviewer/someone else with similar tastes, than you can generally go off what they review high and low.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Game pro is gone now or going.

titan18 wrote: »
    If you can find a reviewer/someone else with similar tastes, than you can generally go off what they review high and low.

That's different to generally following reviews though and there's always the problem of their opinion and your opinion diverging at some point so you can't always take it as gospel.

• Advertisement

nesf wrote: »
    That's different to generally following reviews though and there's always the problem of their opinion and your opinion diverging at some point so you can't always take it as gospel.

Very true, but it works as a decent ballpark for what to spend money on. Like for films, I would generally trust that a film that Ebert really likes is something that if I don't like, I will at least appreciate it as a well made film.

It's true for games too. Whilst I can't point out one reviewer that I would go off, if a game has generally favourable reviews, you can be sure that it is going to be a well made game, even if it's not something that you might like. For me, this is stuff like Bioshock,which having played, I would say is a well made game,I didn't enjoy it.

For SWTOR, or mmos in general, it is very difficult to judge a game on a review since no early review is going to have a level 50 character, some alts to be able to judge on replayability, and have played end-game content enough to give an opinion on it. I mean when I started this, and I'm sure nearly everyone, the starter planet was pretty good, there was people around but not too much that you'd be waiting a while for mobs to respawn, and Coruscant/Dromund Kaas are pretty nice. Having done 5 characters to those zones, I can say that some stories were good(Bounty Hunter) and others were pretty poor(Consular).

As I levelled up, there was a lack of people and I had to skip heroics due to the amount of people in each zone past Alderaan. Fair enough, I levelled up fast, but even on the republic fleet, there wasn't a lot of people on it imo.

I can understand content being buggy at this stage,especially later stuff, and I don't mind that, but there a lot of issues with this game. The ability cooldown has got a lot of criticism and imo rightly. Imo, there is not enough variation in questing/zones for me to want to go through every class from 1-50 to experience their story. There is only the variation in the class quest, and the variations in Republic/Empire early planets. At least with Wow(didnt play at launch,joined at TBC) there was more than one zone you could quest in at different level ranges. SWTOR needs more planets,and whilst I know most quests will still be kill x of y, at least the change in landscape/y makes it feel that bit different.

As it is now, I really don't want to go through planets like Hoth 8 different times.I understand that would create problems for class questing, but implementing choices on paths a player could progress through the story would help this(can see it easily done on the Consular story).

I understand this might be implemented later on, but as of now, there is not enough to do,enough variation and the appearance of a lack of players(due to the instancing or whatever) will make a lot of players bored. Tbh, I loved it at the start but it lost its shine as I levelled up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement