Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Katie Taylor. Do you think you could beat her in a fight?

• 26-12-2011 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭

As the title says do you think you could beat Katie Taylor in a fight?

Well lads?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Do YOU think you could beat her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

She's epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I wouldn't ever hit a woman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

nummnutts wrote: »
    Do YOU think you could beat her?

Grunching
    She's epic.

Irish hero for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

I'd let her beat the head off me...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭7Sins

I wouldn't beat her in a boxing ring but if kicking and pulling of the hair was allowed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Nope. She'd batter everyone on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

In an amatuer boxing match, under rules, not a fúcking chance. I boxed for a long time and I'm still pretty fit and fast, with a huge reach and weight advantage, but I doubt I'd land a clean shot in 3 rounds while she'd pick me off at will. We mostly don't realise in this country just how good she is. In comparative terms, she's Tiger Woods, Brian 'Driscoll or Messi. Possibly our greatest performer ever, technical, focussed, fast, durable and no sign of losing the run of herself or getting overconfident. 11 Euro titles and 3 World's. Incredible boxer. When you know what you're watching, her quality is dizzying.

I love football, but in a choice between seeing her make history and going to Poland, I've decided on London.

At boxing she'd probably beat me to death quite quickly. In a no rules fight I might last a bit longer because I'd be viciously sneaky.

Katie is one of the best sports heroes this Island has ever produced and I don't think she gets enough recognition for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

She gets recognition outside Ireland.

Year Tournament Venue Result Event
    2005 European Amateur Championships Tønsberg, Norway 1st 60 kg
    2006 European Amateur Championships Warsaw, Poland 1st 60 kg
    2006 World Amateur Championship New Delhi, India 1st 60 kg
    2007 European Amateur Championships Vejle, Denmark 1st 60 kg
    2008 European Union Amateur Championships Liverpool, England 1st 60 kg
    2008 World Amateur Championship Ningbo, People's Republic of China 1st 60 kg
    2009 European Union Amateur Championships Pazardzhik, Bulgaria 1st 60 kg
    2009 Russian Multi-Nations event St. Petersburg, Russia 1st 60 kg
    2009 European Amateur Championships Mykolaiv, Ukraine 1st 60 kg
    2010 European Union Amateur Championships Keszthely, Hungary 1st 60 kg
    2010 World Amateur Championship Barbados 1st 60 kg
    2011 European Union Amateur Championships Katowice, Poland 1st 60 kg
    2011 European Amateur Championships Rotterdam, Netherlands 1st 60 kg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

If Katie said she wasn't in the mood, you wouldn't ask a second time.

peckerhead wrote: »
    She gets recognition outside Ireland.

I think she'd get way more recognition and probably be the greatest sporting hero of recent times if she was a man.

/feminist man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

She should have used michelle obamas big butt as a punchbag when the opportunity reared itself. when it's constantly on yer face regardless and unavoidable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

I think she'd get way more recognition and probably be the greatest sporting hero of recent times if she was a man.

/feminist man

It would be the opposite as she'd be up against actual athletes. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭braintoxic

Depends on here time of month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

She used to train in UCD and make a show of the lads there!

MungBean wrote: »
    It would be the opposite as she'd be up against actual athletes. :pac:

Sexist pig you. :pac:

Katie is an Irish Hero.

She'd beat the crap out of you I reckon... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

As the title says do you think you could beat Katie Taylor in a fight?

Well lads?

In a fight? Yes.

In a boxing match? No.

In a fight? Yes.

In a boxing match? No.

She's fit though LF. I mean she'd be still there smacking heads when you'rte asking for a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Meh.

• Advertisement

She's fit though LF. I mean she'd be still there smacking heads when you'rte asking for a break.

She is conditioned for boxing, and would naturally resort to a stance which would make taking her down pretty easy, even for someone with rudimentary takedown ability like me. Once the fight hit the ground she can have cardio for days, but it wouldn't help her when i am elbowing the face off her.

In a boxing match her superior sports conditioning, speed, agility, footwork and head movement would basically render any attack i made moot as she punched my face until i fell over.

braintoxic wrote: »
    Depends on here time of month

Yeh, 3 weeks outta 4 she'd batter you. On the other week it'd be even worse for you.
    In a fight? Yes.

In a boxing match? No.

Not even, she's from Brayruit man!

Not even, she's from Brayruit man!

Brayruit eh? I'd better open the proceedings with a good kick in the snatch then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... 11 Euro titles and 3 World's. Incredible boxer. When you know what you're watching, her quality is dizzying...
    + Boxer of the Tournament awards, World Amateur Boxer of the Year etc. etc.

I felt as if I was on my own down the years telling people just how good an amateur boxer she is. We will wait a long time before we have amongst our ranks a sportsman or woman of this quality. She is our supreme athlete.

Is there no professional women's boxing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Wouldn't last 10 seconds. A lot of my friends do a bit of boxing at college, and they'd break me up so I dread to think what she'd do. Now if it was a keyboard warrior fight...different story. She'd be off the forum in a week max. :pac:

mathepac wrote: »
    + Boxer of the Tournament awards, World Amateur Boxer of the Year etc. etc.

I felt as if I was on my own down the years telling people just how good an amateur boxer she is. We will wait a long time before we have amongst our ranks a sportsman or woman of this quality. She is our supreme athlete.

You're not alone Sir.

She's arguably the most accomplished athlete we've ever produced in Ireland. Maybe George Best is close but he never did it on the international stage like our Katie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

In an amatuer boxing match, under rules, not a fúcking chance. I boxed for a long time and I'm still pretty fit and fast, with a huge reach and weight advantage, but I doubt I'd land a clean shot in 3 rounds while she'd pick me off at will. We mostly don't realise in this country just how good she is. In comparative terms, she's Tiger Woods, Brian 'Driscoll or Messi. Possibly our greatest performer ever, technical, focussed, fast, durable and no sign of losing the run of herself or getting overconfident. 11 Euro titles and 3 World's. Incredible boxer. When you know what you're watching, her quality is dizzying.

I love football, but in a choice between seeing her make history and going to Poland, I've decided on London.

Katie Taylor loves football as well. A lot of people dont know, she could have been Irelands greatest International football player ever, but she chose to box and quit football. But before she quit she got a load of caps playing for the national team.

Simply Katie is a phenomenon and our greatest athlete of all time.

Enjoy watching her in London :)

Wouldn't last 10 seconds. A lot of my friends do a bit of boxing at college, and they'd break me up so I dread to think what she'd do. Now if it was a keyboard warrior fight...different story. She'd be off the forum in a week max. :pac:

With an average of 0.21 posts per day I'm not sure you could be trusted to make a reply within the week let alone talk her off the forum. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Had her as a sparing partner once and for a few minutes I had her really worried.

She thought she'd killed me :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... Maybe George Best is close but he never did it on the international stage like our Katie.
    It's her consistency and doggedness that's scary. Her semi-final against Queen Underwood last year has to rate as one of her greatest victories ever. The concerns about her having left her final behind her were ultimately unfounded.

A move to 65kgs for the Olympics will put her up against more powerful women but I think as a natural 60kg boxer her speed, her tactics and overall ring-craft will see her through. The farce of making a current world and European pre-qualify for the Olympics is typical of the craziness of the Olympics of late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Gawd
    This thread actually has me thinking. I hit a girl once, my sister and my father thumped my lights out, shouting you never hit a girl. Err it was effective I have never or would never hit a girl. Funny I seen my nephew get a similar telling when he hit my niece, but with no digs.

Katie is epic, she is smart and a looker as well, I am hoping she enters the Olympics, she will defo be a winner of a medal, it may even be gold.

But I genuinely think she would not stand a chance against me in a street fight, our strength difference is to great. I would win.

44leto wrote: »
    Gawd
    our strength difference is to great. I would win.

If that's all you're relying on, I'd say she's nothing to fear. In order to get sparring partners who can give her a contest, she works with the male high-performance squad and is well able for a strength difference.

If that's all you're relying on, I'd say she's nothing to fear. In order to get sparring partners who can give her a contest, she works with the male high-performance squad and is well able for a strength difference.

That is just boxing, I am 6 2 15stone and pretty strong, I reckon I could just toss her aside and kick. That is the same for most males, there is a strength difference.

But when I think about it if she did connect with a punch, I may go down. I don't know and I would never under any circumstances find out.

Do people find her sexy?

• Advertisement

That is just boxing, I am 6 2 15stone and pretty strong, I reckon I could just toss her aside and kick. That is the same for most males, there is a strength difference.

But when I think about it if she did connect with a punch, I may go down. I don't know and I would never under any circumstances find out.

I'm a little bigger, quite strong and a fairly experienced boxer. I'm pretty sure that we just wouldn't get a glove on her. If she was kind enough to stand still and not hit back, maybe I'd have a shot :)

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Do people find her sexy?

Yeah
    I definitely do.

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Do people find her sexy?

I think she's really pretty. I wouldn't be attracted to her, but that's probably more an age thing, she has the bad manners to be 16 years younger than me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Chuck Norris wears a Katie Taylor nightie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Not a hope.

Watched her spar one handed against decent sized male boxers and she nearly broke their ribs with the ferocity of her body shots.

She is pure quality in terms of boxing...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Katie Taylor loves football as well. A lot of people dont know, she could have been Irelands greatest International football player ever, but she chose to box and quit football. But before she quit she got a load of caps playing for the national team.

Simply Katie is a phenomenon and our greatest athlete of all time.

Enjoy watching her in London :)

I saw one of her goals for Ireland, it was an absolute ****ing screamer from outside the box.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I train Muay Thai kick boxing, I have a bag in my spare room even and I wouldnt be in any rush to get into a ring with her. She's absolute quality and one of our national sporting heros (is it sexist now to say Heroine?)

She trains an art form, a skill. Its a game of speed and accuracy and power. In a street fight things are different. It gets ugly fast and the Sport of Kings is little use there really, the stronger heavier and bigger guy is likely to win unless the smaller person has some training. If she has *any* and I mean, a few months, Muay Thai training, then you can all forget it hahah. And say good bye to your nuts and liver while you are at it :)

If it goes to the floor and she has any BrazilianJuiJitsu skills (the most common ground fighting skill).... oh dear. Having been in the fight game for a lot of years she may well have picked up the rudiments of these forms of self defence. Even without these, one clean body shot will leave you thinking twice about it. Forget the cliched right-hook-to-the-jaw. A body shot will drop someone faster than gravity. :)

But in her chosen sport, she is without doubt the best in the world. Probably the most accomplished sportsperson in our history. She boxes in the Olympics shortly (we all hope!) and if she wins that its quite simply a whitewash, she's won everything continuously and consecutively. She will have no more worlds to conquer.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

She is conditioned for boxing, and would naturally resort to a stance which would make taking her down pretty easy, even for someone with rudimentary takedown ability like me. Once the fight hit the ground she can have cardio for days, but it wouldn't help her when i am elbowing the face off her.

In a boxing match her superior sports conditioning, speed, agility, footwork and head movement would basically render any attack i made moot as she punched my face until i fell over.

I train with boxer's, with kickboxing and Thai boxing fighers. I train with wrestlers, BJJ players and Judoka.. And occasionally we get beginner's like you who think they can fight, it only takes a few minutes to persuade most men that in reality they can not fight a trained and conditioned fighter.

She'd beat me, unless I got a clinch in which case I'd take her down and hopefully submit her - but tbh with her conditioning she'd be a nightmare - I think I'd still lose.

Kudos to Kevin Duffy.

DeVore wrote: »

She trains an art form, a skill. Its a game of speed and accuracy and power. In a street fight things are different. It gets ugly fast and the Sport of Kings is little use there really

Whats your experience in "street fighting"?.

Speaking with a lot of experience - boxer's are awesome on the street.
    DeVore wrote: »
    If it goes to the floor and she has any BrazilianJuiJitsu skills (the most common ground fighting skill)

No its not, wrestling and judo vastly outnumber's BJJ.

I train with boxer's, with kickboxing and Thai boxing fighers. I train with wrestlers, BJJ players and Judoka.. And occasionally we get beginner's like you who think they can fight, it only takes a few minutes to persuade most men that in reality they can not fight a trained and conditioned fighter.

She'd beat me, unless I got a clinch in which case I'd take her down and hopefully submit her - but tbh with her conditioning she'd be a nightmare - I think I'd still lose.

Kudos to Kevin Duffy.

Off the top of my head, there's a 5 day period in London that covers the +105 in the Judo and Weightlifting, plus the division that (fingers crossed) she'll be fighting in. If you fancy the roadtrip..... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

She kill me and im 16st and 6ft 2ins.

Used to do bit of boxing and have huge respect for boxer's and martial arts.

People think it easy, but it's not. Hoping get back into it during new year.

Katie Taylor is credit to this country and even if she does not win Gold next summer she still go down as one of greatest in any sport for female.

A true legend and from what I have seen a lovely person too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I'd teabag her to within an inch of her life

Yeah
    I definitely do.
    So you're into being dominated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

She's class.

Savage football player, St. Catherine's were lucky to have her when she had the time to be playing.

Off the top of my head, there's a 5 day period in London that covers the +105 in the Judo and Weightlifting, plus the division that (fingers crossed) she'll be fighting in. If you fancy the roadtrip..... ;)

You know what, I have accommodation but I didn't apply for any tickets - tbh I haven't a pot to piss in at the moment.

And hopefully we'll be cheering on Lisa Kearney (another female fighter) in the Judo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement