Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Katie Taylor. Do you think you could beat her in a fight?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I doubt the vast, vast majority of us would get a fist close enough that she'd even feel the breeze, and she'd gut the lot of us. On the offchance we did connect with something, boxers just do not go down easily. I reckon it would be the most comprehensive embarrassment most of us ever endured. Boxing, street fighting, whatever. Fitness, endurance, speed, footwork, and sheer lack of the good sense to lose consciousness when it seems obvious to do so means I'd run as fast as I could, as far as I could, if the occasion ever arose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

You know what, I have accommodation but I didn't apply for any tickets - tbh I haven't a pot to piss in at the moment.

And hopefully we'll be cheering on Lisa Kearney (another female fighter) in the Judo.

Depending on the weight Lisa's at, it could be the same day as the men's 105 and the whole day comes to as little as £65stg, tickets still available. The boxing is as little as £20. The Olympics may never again be something you can do in a long weekend from here.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

MungBean wrote: »
    Is there no professional women's boxing ?

Yes but it is very low profile, especially over here.

Katie Taylor can make more money, have more success, get more press and gain more credibility for womens boxing by staying an amateur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Depending on the weight Lisa's at, it could be the same day as the men's 105 and the whole day comes to as little as £65stg, tickets still available. The boxing is as little as £20. The Olympics may never again be something you can do in a long weekend from here.... ;)

Lisa is -48kgs.

Dammit, you have me excited!.

Here is Lisa fighting in Dusseldorf.

In the last three weeks she's fought in Japan and Tokyo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I probably couldn't beat Katie Melua in a fight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

are fight dates and tickets out yet??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Katie is an amazing athlete, I know a few guys who boxed in the club her dad runs, they would not step in to the ring because they knew they'd get whipped, she has been sparing against lads since she could walk basically and I can't see anyone beating her and as for the soccer too sublime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Good luck to her.

Men don't fight women. I had a big problem swinging at them in Martial Arts ... they were not happy.

I lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

If she got tired pummeling me before I pissed myself, I would count myself lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

DeVore wrote: »
    In a street fight things are different. It gets ugly fast and the Sport of Kings is little use there really, the stronger heavier and bigger guy is likely to win unless the smaller person has some training.
    Whats your experience in "street fighting"?.

Speaking with a lot of experience - boxer's are awesome on the street.
    Yeah, lads the ultimate street fighter is the one running the other guy down with a car. Not advocating anything of the sort but when you get to that level, there aren't any rules, so comparing martial arts willies is a bit pointless.

Katie Taylor makes me proud to be Irish, another in our long history of warrior women. I've been paying close attention to her career, and she is a legend in the making.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

No its not, wrestling and judo vastly outnumber's BJJ.
    Yep. Boxers usually whip ass in a street fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

There isnt a girl yet ive lost to in a fight:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

it such a pity there was no women boxing in the previous olympics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

i thought this would stand for gee-punching!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ah nuts

I don't know much about sport and even less about boxing but this woman is stellar. I did see her once toy with some sport presenter with one arm behind her back. I guarantee her training regime would put most GAA stars to shame. The nay Sayers will say there is no competition in women's boxing, a
    and I was about to say they were wrong but they're not because Katie has taken it to a whole new level which shows the commitment she has given her sport just like the Clare hurlers in the nineties and Kilkenny in the noughties.

Here's hoping for gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Do people find her sexy?

I would.
    Maybe let her kick my ass, then play the sympathy card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Am I the only who laughs when she is described as Ireland's greatest ever sportsperson as some have claimed. She's won a lot but its in a sport with a tiny participation level. I wouldn't put her at the same level of Sonia O'sullivan at all. When it comes to sports like mens football or golf, female boxing is such a tiny sport in terms of scale that I don't think people from the two backgrounds can really be compared in terms of how good they are.

I've nothing against Katie but I wonder could the people who speak of her in glowing terms name a single other female boxer.

I wouldn't last 10 seconds in a ring with her nonetheless.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Am I the only who laughs when she is described as Ireland's greatest ever sportsperson as some have claimed. She's won a lot but its in a sport with a tiny participation level. I wouldn't put her at the same level of Sonia O'sullivan at all. When it comes to sports like mens football or golf, female boxing is such a tiny sport in terms of scale that I don't think people from the two backgrounds can really be compared in terms of how good they are.

I've nothing against Katie but I wonder could the people who speak of her in glowing terms name a single other female boxer.

I wouldn't last 10 seconds in a ring with her nonetheless.

You might be alright, yeh. Really you're just showing your ignorance of boxing in particular and sport in general. At the top level of any sport, the number of peers and the depth of talent is the same. The reason KT is so far ahead of the field has nothing to do with the quaity of the competition, it's because she really, really is just that good. In any sport, in any era, the greats of the day would be the greats of any other day, no matter who they had to compete with. They raise their game every time it matters. That's what makes them greats and that's what puts her among them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

In a fight? No.

In a boxing match? No.

Fixed your post.

Anyone that doesn't do any fighting training at all that thinks they have a chance is deluded. She'd floor you with a 3 or 4 punch combo before you could blink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

We're getting married in the summer after the olympics.

• Advertisement

You might be alright, yeh. Really you're just showing your ignorance of boxing in particular and sport in general. At the top level of any sport, the number of peers and the depth of talent is the same. The reason KT is so far ahead of the field has nothing to do with the quaity of the competition, it's because she really, really is just that good. In any sport, in any era, the greats of the day would be the greats of any other day, no matter who they had to compete with. They raise their game every time it matters. That's what makes them greats and that's what puts her among them.

I don't really take your point, the more participants in a sport the harder it is to get to the top. Surely you understand this basic point?

By your rationale it is as good an achievement to be the greatest author in the english language as it is say being the greatest author in the irish langauge.

You would see no difference presumably between say Bernard brogan and Lionel Messi in terms of ability or say Henry Shefflin and Rafa Nadal. Correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I would say if you avoided her initial few punches and went for a take down and go it, you could wrestle and scrap your way to victory. Very unlikely but it would be your best chance. I wouldnt take my chances though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I wonder would she beat Mike Tyson, he is getting on a bit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Fixed your post.

Anyone that doesn't do any fighting training at all that thinks they have a chance is deluded. She'd floor you with a 3 or 4 punch combo before you could blink

I agree.

I don't really take your point, the more participants in a sport the harder it is to get to the top. Surely you understand this basic point?

I understand the point you're trying to make, but the fact is that at the top level of any sport the competition is reduced to a small pool of peers. In men's Tennis for example, it is really about less than half a dozen players for some time now.
    By your rationale it is as good an achievement to be the greatest author in the english language as it is say being the greatest author the irish langauge.

Of course it is. A deeper pool of writers doesn't mean they're all good, let alone great. A wider readership doesn't mean the output is any better.
    You would see no difference presumably between say Bernard brogan and Lionel Messi in terms of ability or say Henry Shefflin and Rafa Nadal. Correct?

No, not correct and based on nothing I said. Of those you've mentioned, Bernard Brogan doesn't fit as he had some great victories and was a great competitor, but didn't produce his best stuff consistently, or for very long and had an eye on retirement long before he did, so his record doesn't compare to Messi, as you've proposed. He also had huge technical faults, in defense in particular.
    Nadal is hugely popular, eyecatching and has a great record on clay, but none of the top 3/4 in his era have established clear dominance, including him. That may be more of a reflection of the fact that tennis is played on a variety of surfaces though, whereas boxing rings are the same everywhere. Henry Shefflin was a great, but playing in a great team, making it impossible to say what he'd have done in any other team. If he played in the Louth hurling team, he coould have been the greatest hurler ever to win **** all. In boxing, there's nobody to carry you on an off-day. There's no team to get through the early rounds without you while you're injured, to give you a chance to play in later rounds. You don't fight in boxing, your tournament is over. There is no benefit to the team you box in, you'll still be on your own in the ring.
    In comparison, KT has travelled everywhere and won against all challengers, with only one notable loss on a hometown decision, which was such a travesty that the governing bodies met afterwards to discuss changes to the judging and scoring systems. She didn't moan and she came back stronger. That's a champion.

I didn't need a critque of Bernard Brogan vs messi or Nadal vs Shefflin. My basic point is that you think participation levels have no bearing on how good it takes to be the best in that sport which is completely deluded.

I didn't need a critque of Bernard Brogan vs messi or Nadal vs Shefflin. My basic point is that you think participation levels have no bearing on how good it takes to be the best in that sport which is completely deluded.

You proposed that I had a theory on those comparisons, so the critque was invited to explain why you were misunderstanding my point.

I know sport at the top level and I know that the depth of the pool at the lower levels has little bearing, the pool of peers at the top level is what matters and in pretty much all sports, it's the same sized pool. There is no sport where you have to beat everybody in straight competition to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I bet i could beat the ****e out of her inside one round...I'm well'ard!

You proposed that I had a theory on those comparisons, so the critque was invited to explain why you were misunderstanding my point.

I know sport at the top level and I know that the depth of the pool at the lower levels has little bearing, the pool of peers at the top level is what matters and in pretty much all sports, it's the same sized pool. There is no sport where you have to beat everybody in straight competition to win.

The pool for people who have played a game of football would be in the very high millions, the pool of women globally who have fought in a boxing ring is hard to gauge but would be about .000something of that. Thats the size of the "pools".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Lads, I was a season ticket holder for Shelbourne FC for years and don't think I ever saw a goal as good as hers there (20 seconds in):

Never mind in a fight, she'd destroy me at football.

She's so good a boxer it almost isn't fair. I remember her bout in the o2 the night that Ireland won the Grand Slam and it'd make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck. You'd swear it was some girl they'd pulled out of the crowd and not the 3-times Pan-American champion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭twinytwo

She is conditioned for boxing, and would naturally resort to a stance which would make taking her down pretty easy, even for someone with rudimentary takedown ability like me. Once the fight hit the ground she can have cardio for days, but it wouldn't help her when i am elbowing the face off her.

In a boxing match her superior sports conditioning, speed, agility, footwork and head movement would basically render any attack i made moot as she punched my face until i fell over.

Id pay to see it.. i really would

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Re:BJJ No its not, wrestling and judo vastly outnumber's BJJ.

Well I'm not an internet hardman, but I did grow up in Coolock and then lived in D1 for most of my life so I've been in a fight or two. :)
    My father was Irish amateur champion for a few years and taught me as a lad. But I do agree with the spirit of your comments, boxing isnt a bad thing to know in a street fight, but what I meant was that it wont go by Queensbury Rules and turns into a wrestling match fast.

Re: BJJ, Sorry, I didnt think of Judo because I wouldnt have referred to it as a "ground fighting" art. Would you? (genuine question, I know you are a Judoka). I always think of Judo as the art of you putting someone ELSE on the ground :)

Having seen some high level Judokas in my time, yeah... now that you mention it, I'd probably pick Judo or MT for a street fight if I could only pick one artform. Dont ask me which, because my trainer might be reading :)
    High level Judoka's are amazingly scary... there are two 65 year old black belts in my club and mother of god.... I hope some punk tries to rob them of their pension someday hahah :)

DeV.

Well I'm not an internet hardman, but I did grow up in Coolock and then lived in D1 for most of my life so I've been in a fight or two. :)
    My father was Irish amateur champion for a few years and taught me as a lad. But I do agree with the spirit of your comments, boxing isnt a bad thing to know in a street fight, but what I meant was that it wont go by Queensbury Rules and turns into a wrestling match fast.

Re: BJJ, Sorry, I didnt think of Judo because I wouldnt have referred to it as a "ground fighting" art. Would you? (genuine question, I know you are a Judoka). I always think of Judo as the art of you putting someone ELSE on the ground :)

Having seen some high level Judokas in my time, yeah... now that you mention it, I'd probably pick Judo or MT for a street fight if I could only pick one artform. Dont ask me which, because my trainer might be reading :)
    High level Judoka's are amazingly scary... there are two 65 year old black belts in my club and mother of god.... I hope some punk tries to rob them of their pension someday hahah :)

DeV.

I never implied you were an internet hardman at all, and I'd hope you don't read me as coming across as one either.

But I do have 20 years (+/-) doorwork experience to draw on and I've never seen a boxer have any real trouble on the street - btw, I'm talking about real boxers here and not the guy who says "I done a bit of boxing years ago", because I think most of us put on a pair of gloves growing up.

Judo and BJJ are opposite sides of the same coin, yes Judo is about putting someone on the ground (or hitting them with the world :p ) but people 'tend to forget that of the four ways to win a judo fight, three are on the ground (chokes/strangles, submission/joint lock and pins).

I often say you can have all the fancy take downs in the world, or all the fancy joint locks and sub's, but everyone understands a punch in the snot and when a boxer opens up on someone it can be pretty special.

Re. internet hardman comments - its hard to talk about fighting or martial arts on the internet without someone accusing you of being an internet hardman.. To me martial arts just provides me with the tools to defend myself (and others) in work. But I love martial arts, otherwise I wouldn't be moderating a martial arts forum here. I love to promote martial arts both on and off the internet and I see its benefits in terms of discipline, health and wellbeing, its social aspects etc. Anyway I'm getting away from the point.

Martial arts, and judo in particular, are a part of my life. There's probably not five minutes go past when I'm not thinking about something m.a. related.. When I gave up the doors for four years I didn't give up martial arts training.

Its my passion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Katie taylor would easily punch the snot out of any normal lad, i dont care what weight he is-the bigger they are the slower and easier it would most likely be for them to get near her, i'm not talking about trained MMA fighters or Wrestlers here, im talking about regular lads who can probably handle themselves.

The great thing with Boxing is you can throw many strikes in a very short time without your feet leaving the floor, for example kicking when in a street fight there is a big chance of ending up on your arrse because your inbalanced on 1 leg.

Katie has great footwork and is fast and she hits hard, much harder than most lads have ever been hit, picture eating 20 of her punches in the mush in 5 seconds while your windmills just wave by her head

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

twinytwo wrote: »
    Id pay to see it.. i really would

You'd have to pay a lot of money.

If i'm gonna get my ass handed to me by KT i'd need a lot of cash for hospital bills afterwards. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭twinytwo

cowzerp wrote: »
    Katie taylor would easily punch the snot out of any normal lad, i dont care what weight he is-the bigger they are the slower and easier it would most likely be for them to get near her, i'm not talking about trained MMA fighters or Wrestlers here, im talking about regular lads who can probably handle themselves.

The great thing with Boxing is you can throw many strikes in a very short time without your feet leaving the floor, for example kicking when in a street fight there is a big chance of ending up on your arrse because your inbalanced on 1 leg.

Katie has great footwork and is fast and she hits hard, much harder than most lads have ever been hit, picture eating 20 of her punches in the mush in 5 seconds while your windmills just wave by her head

Assuming that because someone is big they are therefore slow is a big big mistake.

Only morons kick when they dont know what they are doing... its like guys who watch a few ufc's and think they can take someone down... they try it and get knocked out.

cowzerp wrote: »

I'd rather she was punching me in the face than in the body.

Just thinking about what a body shot from her would feel like is actually making me a little nauseous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Yes. One punch to the face and that would be it. Could beat her easily.

I train with boxer's, with kickboxing and Thai boxing fighers. I train with wrestlers, BJJ players and Judoka.. And occasionally we get beginner's like you who think they can fight, it only takes a few minutes to persuade most men that in reality they can not fight a trained and conditioned fighter.

She'd beat me, unless I got a clinch in which case I'd take her down and hopefully submit her - but tbh with her conditioning she'd be a nightmare - I think I'd still lose.

Kudos to Kevin Duffy.

Sorry Mak, just saw this now. The question was "could", not would...just to clear up what i am saying. Unfortunately i have seen and been in enough scrapes to know what i am capable of in a fight.

In training I've been tossed around by Judoka, i've been hammered on by boxers and kick boxers, I've been tapped out by BJJ guys and girls who were half my size.I am well aware of what a well trained and conditioned fighter can do and i have the utmost respect for people who dedicate themselves to the training and sacrifice involved.

All that said, at my best i'm a big, strong, fast chap who knows how to handle himself...and all i am saying is there is a possibility i could win a fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Great boxer.

But more importantly, would you lob it into her? I certainly would, but making sure to definitely call her the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

My son, who is no slouch, sparred with her. He said its like trying to hit lightening. I've a huge amount of respect for any young fella who has the guts and maturity to step into a ring with a woman he knows will likely beat him in front of his mates. She is an incredible example to our community - as is her brother ( he is a physicist I believe) and her Father ( for the amount of work he puts into the club). I've heard both Mick Dowling and McGuigan say leaving aside her sex, she is a world class boxer and that most male boxers would be outclassed by her. She is so down to earth. My son saw her win in the point late on a Saturday night and then met her doing the shopping in tesco's before 10 the next morning! Hope she has many more years of winning ahead of her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Strength wise there's probably not a lot between me and Katie but with her boxing smarts I'm sure she'd have me spread-eagled on the canvas in under 5 seconds. So yes Katie Taylor would beat my ass.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Cardio is big part of this too. Most guy think they could fight all day but the truth is most cant shadow box, or do bag work for 30 seconds hard. Adrenaline management and breath control are very important too. 30 seconds will seem like a life time if you are leathering it. I've left my lunch outside the gym on more than one occasion after a 3 minute session :) Gassing out is about the most horrible physical feeling I've ever felt!

DeV.
    ps: I was only protecting myself from the "internet hardman" accusation Maki. I actually hate the idea of violence but if its going to happen, I'm going to make sure I'm ok as best I can. Actually, we've at CCXI as you recall and yer a big fecker for sure :p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Would she beat Sonny Bill Williams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Would she beat Sonny Bill Williams?

Easily- he's not great

• Advertisement

Cardio is big part of this too. Most guy think they could fight all day but the truth is most cant shadow box, or do bag work for 30 seconds hard. Adrenaline management and breath control are very important too. 30 seconds will seem like a life time if you are leathering it. I've left my lunch outside the gym on more than one occasion after a 3 minute session :)Gassing out is about the most horrible physical feeling I've ever felt!

DeV.
    ps: I was only protecting myself from the "internet hardman" accusation Maki. I actually hate the idea of violence but if its going to happen, I'm going to make sure I'm ok as best I can. Actually, we've at CCXI as you recall and yer a big fecker for sure :p

Worse feeling in the world, stupidly I competed out of condition and its truely horrible.

Your getting battered, your coaches and friends are screaming at you and your mind & body are just gone into survival mode - sorta like getting back into the gym after the Christmas break :(

Oh I hate violence too, I've often posted about it here. Once recently when an AH Mod was in the bar where I worked too - a young lad was beat up rather badly outside at the Ballyier bus stop simply for being gay - I abhor violence and I know I should be used to it but I'm honestly gutted when I see violence brought to the innocent like this.

Oh I remember meeting you of course, that was a great night.. Indeed all the Cage Contender events are special (guys if you like MMA check out the Cage Contender events and get your bums on seats.

Back to K.T. - fantastic athlete and by all accounts a lovely girl, its not nice seeing some of the disrespectful comments made about her here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

In an amatuer boxing match, under rules, not a fúcking chance. I boxed for a long time and I'm still pretty fit and fast, with a huge reach and weight advantage, but I doubt I'd land a clean shot in 3 rounds while she'd pick me off at will. We mostly don't realise in this country just how good she is. In comparative terms, she's Tiger Woods, Brian 'Driscoll or Messi. Possibly our greatest performer ever, technical, focussed, fast, durable and no sign of losing the run of herself or getting overconfident. 11 Euro titles and 3 World's. Incredible boxer. When you know what you're watching, her quality is dizzying.

I love football, but in a choice between seeing her make history and going to Poland, I've decided on London.

Totally...I saw her training in the ring with her dad during a clip on a sports awards show just before Christmas - lightning fast hands, unbelievable really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Yes. One punch to the face and that would be it. Could beat her easily.

are you going to surprise her because in a real fight boxers are trained to protect their face

bet a few on here would get in the ring with gina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I'm 6'1" about 18 stone (not muscle ;) )
    In a boxing match, I have no doubt she would lay me to waste. In a no holds barred street fight, I'd be forced to hold her down on the ground giving her the odd dig. This would be the only way I'd win.
    On saying that, I'd be crying while doing any of it, because she is most definitely someone kids of all ages and sexes should be looking up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Does anyone else find her ridiulously attractive?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement