Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Katie Taylor. Do you think you could beat her in a fight?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Does anyone else find her ridiulously attractive?

She's a very pretty girl, but far too toned for my tastes. She's going down madonna territory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Liamario wrote: »
    She's a very pretty girl, but far too toned for my tastes. She's going down madonna territory.

I could not disagree more with the second part of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

She's a boxer, that muscle is fairly important to her :p

To the guys saying they'd beat her in a street fight because they could get on top of her, How exactly do you think you'd get her down?? :confused: Shes fast as lightening, she'd prob just step over you as you made a lunge for her and fell over :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm 6'1" about 18 stone (not muscle ;) )
    In a boxing match, I have no doubt she would lay me to waste. In a no holds barred street fight, I'd be forced to hold her down on the ground giving her the odd dig. This would be the only way I'd win.
    On saying that, I'd be crying while doing any of it, because she is most definitely someone kids of all ages and sexes should be looking up to.

She'd probably bench press you off her :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

In a boxing match, I have no doubt she would lay me to waste. In a no holds barred street fight, I'd be forced to hold her down on the ground giving her the odd dig. This would be the only way I'd win.

How would you get her there in the first place? A few flakes of a wavin pipe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

cassi wrote: »
    To the guys saying they'd beat her in a street fight because they could get on top of her, How exactly do you think you'd get her down?? :confused: Shes fast as lightening, she'd prob just step over you as you made a lunge for her and fell over :D

+1
    you'd probably get knocked out before you'd get close enough to take her down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Having given the question posed in the thread title careful thought, I reckon the only way for me to win would be if someone put a stone of floury spuds in the middle of the ring and I'd bate all comers to finish them. Even the world's ultimate muck savages, The Bull Hayes and The Tullow Tank would struggle against me. Yo! Fat guys rule!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

DeVore wrote: »
    She trains an art form, a skill. Its a game of speed and accuracy and power. In a street fight things are different. It gets ugly fast and the Sport of Kings is little use there really, the stronger heavier and bigger guy is likely to win unless the smaller person has some training.

Most guys fighting on the street have no idea what they're doing, they throw slaps and arm punches and while you'd feel them they'd do very little damage. You see it in the gym, nearly all lads who come in throw punches very poorly, can't judge distance correctly, leave themselves wide open and are usually off balance. Ye see big lads coming in, plenty of muscle and they still don't get the power in the shots
    How often do you see a fight on the street where one lad lands cleanly and the other guy drops, these fights drag on because neither of them are doing a whole lot of damage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

nobody should fight in the kitchen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

In an amatuer boxing match, under rules, not a fúcking chance. I boxed for a long time and I'm still pretty fit and fast, with a huge reach and weight advantage, but I doubt I'd land a clean shot in 3 rounds while she'd pick me off at will. We mostly don't realise in this country just how good she is. In comparative terms, she's Tiger Woods, Brian 'Driscoll or Messi. Possibly our greatest performer ever, technical, focussed, fast, durable and no sign of losing the run of herself or getting overconfident. 11 Euro titles and 3 World's. Incredible boxer. When you know what you're watching, her quality is dizzying.

I love football, but in a choice between seeing her make history and going to Poland, I've decided on London.

Some of us do realise how good she is. Which of course makes the relative lack of recognition she gets all the more annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

nobody should fight in the kitchen

Weakest attempt by you yet. All those turkey sandwiches must be making you sleepy and tired.

She's a boxer guys, not a wrestler. And no doubt she is strong, she can't do much bobbing and weaving flat on her back. I'd have to wrestle her down while taking a few blows on the way. I'm overweight, not morbidly obese. Think more Dara O Briain and less giant haystacks.
    She won't do much damage tied up.

On saying that, I'd be crying while doing any of it, because she is most definitely someone kids of all ages and sexes should be looking up to.

She'd probably bench press you off her :)
    Wouldn't surprise me to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Weakest attempt by you yet. All those turkey sandwiches must be making you sleepy and tired.

sorry , just like katie it had a weak punchline.....

She's a boxer, that muscle is fairly important to her :p

Come on now Cassi, you're watching too many movies. I'm under no illusion that she is fast, but she's not The Flash. She'll get grabbed and lifted up and taken to the ground. I'll take a few blows on the way, but as i've said; she's a boxer not an mma fighter.
    If she was an mma fighter, she'd tare me apart though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I probably couldn't beat any pikeys in a fight.
    :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I'm 98kgs, in decent shape, have done a reasonable amount of boxing, and wouldn't have a hope. I doubt I'd land a shot, and I've no doubt she'd land many. Even if I brought it to the ground, I'd say she has greater tenacity, conditioning and ferocity, and would fairly easily see me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

Been a boxer back in the days and there was this little gipsy girl training in the same club.
    She was young, short haired with small tits. I was 62kgs, lighting fast and strong, regularly sparred with guys over 100kgs+ and they were in trouble most of the time against me.

However I would never ever tried to box against the girl. She would have slaughtered all of us in 2rounds no bother....

Katie Taylor? Pro boxer bird? Nope, I could not beat her in a million years...

Come on now Cassi, you're watching too many movies. I'm under no illusion that she is fast, but she's not The Flash. She'll get grabbed and lifted up and taken to the ground. I'll take a few blows on the way, but as i've said; she's a boxer not an mma fighter.
    If she was an mma fighter, she'd tare me apart though :(

How exactly would you grab her?? I still wager the average person wouldn't get near her!! Not only is she fast on her feet, she dodges and weaves at crazy speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭amacca

katie taylor would beat the livin sh1te outta me....

that is if we had to play by the rules

if she wasn't aware she was fighting me and I was to say sneak up behind her with a brick and clock her over the head with it then I would give myself at least a 50/50 chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Does anyone else find her ridiulously attractive?

Yes, very much ridiculously so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭amacca

Chet Zar wrote: »
    Yes, very much ridiculously so :)

not me..........don't like her slightly whiney monotonous voice either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Dots1982 wrote: »
    The pool for people who have played a game of football would be in the very high millions, the pool of women globally who have fought in a boxing ring is hard to gauge but would be about .000something of that. Thats the size of the "pools".

Which has nothing to do with anything. Those fellas, including me, who hack about in the park on a Sunday, have no impact on the brilliance of Messi. If we include those millions, according to your logic we'll have to include everyone who's had any kind of fight, 'cos ring or no ring, the gulf is the same between low-standard football and Messi, and what KT does and two yokes fighting outside a pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

She could crack the head off me everyday and we would still have a good marriage :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

The pool for people who have played a game of football would be in the very high millions, the pool of women globally who have fought in a boxing ring is hard to gauge but would be about .000something of that. Thats the size of the "pools".

Which has nothing to do with anything. Those fellas, including me, who hack about in the park on a Sunday, have no impact on the brilliance of Messi. If we include those millions, according to your logic we'll have to include everyone who's had any kind of fight, 'cos ring or no ring, the gulf is the same between low-standard football and Messi, and what KT does and two yokes fighting outside a pub.

look I can't take anyone seriously who thinks being the best mens footballer or golfer is as hard to achieve as the best female boxer because the "pools" of elite athletes in every sport are the same. Makes no sense to anyone with a grasp of logic.

• Advertisement

look I can't take anyone seriously who thinks being the best mens footballer or golfer is as hard to achieve as the best female boxer because the "pools" of elite athletes in every sport are the same. Makes no sense to anyone with a grasp of logic.

Makes perfect sense to anyone who knows sport. You don't have to beat everyone to be the best, you just have to beat the best.
    As to you taking me seriously or not, well, you can count the number of fúcks I give about that on the fingers of no hands.

How exactly would you grab her?? I still wager the average person wouldn't get near her!! Not only is she fast on her feet, she dodges and weaves at crazy speeds.

As I said, it would be insane for me to try and box her, but she is half my size and likely half my weight. She'd be fairly strong, but all you would need to do is corner her and then tie her arms up (not with a rope). She'd be ****ed. I'm not some MMA fighter, just big enough and fast enough to get my body around her. If she can't swing her arms, she's can't fight- end of story.
    She's only human and has weaknesses.
    As I've said, I wouldn't stand a chance in a boxing match with her. I wouldn't last 30 secs; but getting close enough to grab her and bring her down to the ground would be a matter of when rather than if.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

I don't know about beating her in a fight but I'd love to see her box...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Makes perfect sense to anyone who knows sport. You don't have to beat everyone to be the best, you just have to beat the best.
    As to you taking me seriously or not, well, you can count the number of fúcks I give about that on the fingers of no hands.

Actually it doesn't make sense. There are far fewer women in boxing than there are men playing football. It stands to reason that there are untold amounts of women with the potential to be top boxers who have never laced a pair of gloves. Whereas football has a far higher participation rate, which makes it more difficult to be the best. The amount of people with the potential to be top footballers who actually become top footballers will be much higher than women with the potential to be top amateur boxers. Therefore, it is probably easier for a top female boxer to be number 1. Your comparison about not needing to beat everyone doesn't ring through in amateur boxing either as they are paired off against the best. It is not like professional boxing.

Compare Katie Taylor competing against a relatively shallow pool of talent to footballers taking on millions upon millions of potential soccer players. Even making it to a professional standard in soccer is difficult. You can be as good as Cristiano Ronaldo and not be the best in the world in soccer.

I am taking nothing away from Katie Taylor. She is a phenom. But even she would probably admit that low levels of participation in women's boxing reduced the talent pool.

Anyway, on topic Katie Taylor would be the living shít out of me and most people in this thread in most fights.

I think the fingers on no hands is the amount of clues you have about sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I wouldn't stand a chance against her. She'd never let me get in any kind of position where I might hurt her.

This thread contains the only instances I've ever seen of men trying to prove their manhood by claiming to be able to beat up a woman only in certain circumstances.

I think that says everything about how great Katie is.

Actually it doesn't make sense. There are far fewer women in boxing than there are men playing football. It stands to reason that there are untold amounts of women with the potential to be top boxers who have never laced a pair of gloves. Whereas football has a far higher participation rate, which makes it more difficult to be the best. The amount of people with the potential to be top footballers who actually become top footballers will be much higher than women with the potential to be top amateur boxers. Therefore, it is probably easier for a top female boxer to be number 1.

Compare Katie Taylor competing against a relatively shallow pool of talent to footballers taking on millions upon millions of potential soccer players. Even making it to a professional standard in soccer is difficult. You can be as good as Cristiano Ronaldo and not be the best in the world in soccer.

I am taking nothing away from Katie Taylor. She is a phenom. But even she would probably admit that low levels of participation in women's boxing reduced the talent pool.

Anyway, on topic Katie Taylor would be the living shít out of me and most people in this thread in most fights.

Again, this has nothing to do with succes at that level. Messi doesn't play everybody who plays football week in week out. In tournament boxing, snooker etc. you have to win through your half of the draw, not the whole field.

Good one. If I wanted my own comeback I'd have wiped it off yore ma's chin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Again, this has nothing to do with succes at that level. Messi doesn't play everybody who plays football week in week out. In tournament boxing, snooker etc. you have to win through your half of the draw, not the whole field.

Which makes zero difference to my point. To have success at the top level, you actually have to make it to the top level. It is much easier to do so in women's boxing.

It is ridiculously difficult to actually even start a career in football. Let alone make it to the level Messi is at. Whereas in women's boxing, it is not as difficult to get to the bigger stages. There simply is not the talent pool. Fewer people=fewer barriers.

Anyway, due to rankings etc Taylor will regularly face the best in the world. She is not shielded in the manner you suggest. Obviously she is not in a league, but over her career she will consistently have faced and beaten her nearest rivals.

The "pool" of world female boxers is smaller than the pool of men who have given your ma a shot up her arse.

As I said, it would be insane for me to try and box her, but she is half my size and likely half my weight. She'd be fairly strong, but all you would need to do is corner her and then tie her arms up (not with a rope). She'd be ****ed. I'm not some MMA fighter, just big enough and fast enough to get my body around her. If she can't swing her arms, she's can't fight- end of story.
    She's only human and has weaknesses.
    As I've said, I wouldn't stand a chance in a boxing match with her. I wouldn't last 30 secs; but getting close enough to grab her and bring her down to the ground would be a matter of when rather than if.

Fair enough, I don't doubt if you got on top of her she wouldn't have much a fight but I honestly doubt you (not personally you anyone really) could actually get her cornered let alone get her arms held up!!

As regard the last comment of "when rather than if" What exactly makes you think she'd tire before you, she is one of the countries top athletes!

Fair play in your self belief tho ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Lads, I was a season ticket holder for Shelbourne FC for years and don't think I ever saw a goal as good as hers there (20 seconds in):

Was there that night aswell. She made **** of your one from the states.

Saw her upclose in March 2010 in the stadium. The speed and movement she has would like most said put her to shame.

A lad from my club and more or less the shame weight sparred Katie, said he was a afraid to hit her! but she started coming at him and he thought jesus i might as well give as good as i get. He never said how he got on though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Could I beat Katie Taylor in a fight? Nah probably not.
    Could I throw a football longer than Rory Delap? Doubtful
    Could I make more people laugh than Katherine Lynch? Oh for sure.
    Could I drink more than Shane McGowan in a single sitting. Naw.
    Could I lay a brick faster than old Jim Feeney down the road? No.

The answers to these questions are obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I love this idea that people seem to have that all they need to do to beat a top-class boxer who's smaller than them is wrap them up and pin them and work from there. Given that she's one of the best in the world at what she does, and that she spends her entire sporting life dodging and getting out of the way, does anyone really think an untrained man could A) actually successfully ground her, and B) manage not to ship at least one brutally heavy punch? She's incredibly good at hitting people who are trained to dodge as a matter of course and are far nimbler and lighter on their feet than the average guy on the street; if some randomer tries to take her down he might as well paint a huge target on his face (because if you're going in to wrap her up, you're probably going to give her an incredibly easy shot directly at your nose or jaw) or the back of his neck (because if you try to rugby-tackle, she'll dodge long enough to land a huge hit on the point exactly where your spine joins your skull).

The population of people who could take her is limited to boxers with significant weight advantage, and MMA fighters above a certain level. The rest of us, no matter how powerfully built or impervious to pain, will go down like a sack of spuds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

The "pool" of world female boxers is smaller than the pool of men who have given your ma a shot up her arse.

I don't know about fighting her in the ring but I bet ye could last fifteen rounds in a verbal sparring match with Katie no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Ironically big guys are the least qualified to discuss this one. If you're a stocky 6ft guy that works out then you have no idea what it is like to face someone twice your weight and three times as strong. The closest you've ever been to that is play-fighting with your dad when you were 8 years old.

Think of an 8-foot tall 600lbs man with heavier bones, stronger muscle fibres, thicker skull, more aggressive fight-or-flight response. Not just some fat guy or a bodybuilder, or pituitary giant... but a proportional scaled up person with a much more robust body structure.

Now imagine what kind of chance you've got against him. All the boxing training in the world isn't going to help you. Think Mike Tyson versus a grorilla. You might have a chance if you have a broad range of fighting skills, but if you are just a pure boxer then this 600lb man is just going to grab you by the scruff of the neck and crack your head of the nearest wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mate of mine has sparred with her before,he's pretty handy and has been boxing for years.
    He said she was faster and hit harder than any of the men he's sparred with,I trust his opinion on this and reckon she'd give the majority of men a run for their money in a fight.
    On fitness alone she wouldn't even need to throw a punch,just dance around you until you fall down wheezing and puking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I'm pretty sure she could deck anyone in this thread easily.

Kev your banging your head off a brick wall and you won't get through to them.

Kev your banging your head off a brick wall and you won't get through to them.

Yes I'm so thick thinking its more difficult to be the best in the world at mens football rather than female boxing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

As the title says do you think you could beat Katie Taylor in a fight?

Well lads?

Certainly not in the boxing ring.

But on "the street", where I could use hands, feet, elbows & knees without any rules in a fight ..... nope, I wouldn't stand a chance!

Amateur martial artists like myself can often be deluded to believe that we have reached a level of fighting proficiency because we wear a nice black belt, but there's no substitute for being a full-time sports professional. Add to that Katie's natural talent and frankly it's as if we are on different planets.

Thankfully, the need to fight Katie at any stage in the future is so unlikely that I need not worry. Katie seems to be a really nice person, and I doubt she ever displays any sign of her fighting abilities outside the ring.

Z

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Zen65 wrote: »
    but there's no substitute for being a full-time sports professional.
    And one of the hallmarks of a professional is they don't engage in willy waving contests, they just get in there and get it done, so the whole thread is a bit redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

I'd love to get into her ring for a bit of sparring is all I'm saying people.

Zen65 wrote: »

Amateur martial artists like myself can often be deluded to believe that we have reached a level of fighting proficiency because we wear a nice black belt, but there's no substitute for being a full-time sports professional. Add to that Katie's natural talent and frankly it's as if we are on different planets.

+1.

Your around a long time, and I respect you very much.

I couldn't agree more.

I've never played soccer, rugby, GAA or golf - or even tiddly winks on any kind of level. But I've trained with and fought guys are very high levels, and like you I've seen a few come from the ranks and almost from day one they're head and shoulders above the rest - they've a spark, an edge to their game that you can't train into them.

I know when I grip up with someone special, I know the difference between getting punched by Cowzerp (MMA Mod) and a lad who taps around and is probably a half decent club player.

From day one they've been head and shoulders above their per's, and I've found that mostly its not confined to their chosen sport - they'll excel in most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Whats your experience in "street fighting"?.

Speaking with a lot of experience - boxer's are awesome on the street.

No its not, wrestling and judo vastly outnumber's BJJ.

Id say Krav Maga would be an advantage over any.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement