Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Katie Taylor. Do you think you could beat her in a fight?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Yes. One punch to the face and that would be it. Could beat her easily.

I'd pay good money to see Kieth get his ass handed to him in a fight with Katie.

She would whip me no problem. I'd be gassed in less than a minute just punching the air :D

If Katie said to me "jump", my reply would be "how high?".

I don't think she gets the recognition from the national broadcaster she deserves!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

* youtubes clip of taylor sparring vs paddy barnes*

Could I f**k beat her. Shes too quick on her feet for a guy with an olympic medal, doubt many here would land a punch/kick on her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

cassi wrote: »
    Fair enough, I don't doubt if you got on top of her she wouldn't have much a fight but I honestly doubt you (not personally you anyone really) could actually get her cornered let alone get her arms held up!!

As regard the last comment of "when rather than if" What exactly makes you think she'd tire before you, she is one of the countries top athletes!

Fair play in your self belief tho ;)

It wouldn't take long to get close enough to grab her (unless we were in a field). She wouldn't get tired. But she'd have to get close to me to hit me. I'm at an average level of fitness; but let's not forget that she's a boxer not a wrestler. She's nearly a foot smaller and probably half the weight. She would have to keep her distance and I'd have to keep myself covered as I go into her. I wouldn't approach her slowly. I'd get close to her, take a few punches from her and then tie her arms up. She'd be done, I'd have a few bruises, but she'd have to be fairly strong to move me as dead weight, let alone with me putting up resistance.

That would be the reality of it Cassi. It's not confidence. It wouldn't be easy by any stretch, but the fastest boxer in the world can't stop someone from getting in close enough for someone to grab them. Once I've grabbed her, brought her down, she's done.

Please don't take this as me boasting, I'm looking at this as realistically as possible. I'd be avoiding a boxing match at all costs. All she would have is her punches and with no way to swing her arms, she's all out of weapons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

just hope olympics have not come late for her.. she won everthing up 2 now but a year on is she still the best,, hope she is but competition is harder now..l

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I'm worried that this thread is going to cause some male posters to try to fight Katie Taylor if they see her, just to try to prove that they can beat her in a fight.

:(

I'm worried for them, of course.

I'd feel sick to be in a fight with her. Not because she's a woman, but because she seems so down to earth and modest.

Liamario wrote: »
    Fair enough, I don't doubt if you got on top of her she wouldn't have much a fight but I honestly doubt you (not personally you anyone really) could actually get her cornered let alone get her arms held up!!

As regard the last comment of "when rather than if" What exactly makes you think she'd tire before you, she is one of the countries top athletes!

Fair play in your self belief tho ;)

It wouldn't take long to get close enough to grab her (unless we were in a field). She wouldn't get tired. But she'd have to get close to me to hit me. I'm at an average level of fitness; but let's not forget that she's a boxer not a wrestler. She's nearly a foot smaller and probably half the weight. She would have to keep her distance and I'd have to keep myself covered as I go into her. I wouldn't approach her slowly. I'd get close to her, take a few punches from her and then tie her arms up. She'd be done, I'd have a few bruises, but she'd have to be fairly strong to move me as dead weight, let alone with me putting up resistance.

That would be the reality of it Cassi. It's not confidence. It wouldn't be easy by any stretch, but the fastest boxer in the world can't stop someone from getting in close enough for someone to grab them. Once I've grabbed her, brought her down, she's done.

Please don't take this as me boasting, I'm looking at this as realistically as possible. I'd be avoiding a boxing match at all costs. All she would have is her punches and with no way to swing her arms, she's all out of weapons.

Not sure where you're getting the foot height difference from, didnt you say you were 6ft1 ? So thats half a foot difference, or to put it another way, 1 inch more than the chinese boxer she beat in the world finals. Dont think that inch will be too hard to adjust to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Id say the only way you would have any chance against her is that you would have to be a pretty good boxer, kickboxer, BJJ, and krav maga expert combined. And you would have to be excellent too and be strong. Most people here couldnt beat Katie. Fact. I have huge respect for her as a person because of this. That Gina one in an earlier video looks damn tough too and I know 98% of males wouldnt beat her.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

Right I'll respectfully disagree with you.

I will add that if you think all there is to boxing is punching, then you're quite mistaken sir!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Not in boxing but I could wrestle her to a finish. I've perfected the sleeper hold in recent weeks and its yet to fail on anybody I've applied it to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

How exactly would you grab her?? I still wager the average person wouldn't get near her!! Not only is she fast on her feet, she dodges and weaves at crazy speeds.

Yes she's not Mike Tyson.

How much damage do you think she would do while your lifting her up and slamming her down.

Look up James Toney vs Randy Couture to see how good boxers are at stopping people taking them down.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kz0EXLwK0g

Took about 10 seconds and James Toney is one of the best boxers of all time.

They are also the same weight, now imagine trying to stop someone twice your weight from taking you down.

Expecting a 100lbs woman to beat up a man twice her size in a street fight is not realistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Yes she's not Mike Tyson.

How much damage do you think she would do while your lifting her up and slamming her down.

Look up James Toney vs Randy Couture to see how good boxers are at stopping people taking them down.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kz0EXLwK0g

Took about 10 seconds and James Toney is one of the best boxers of all time.

They are also the same weight, now imagine trying to stop someone twice your weight from taking you down.

Expecting a 100lbs woman to beat up a man twice her size in a street fight is not realistic.

James Toney is not anywhere near the best boxer. Cruizerweight world champion hardly that impressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

I saw her in a pub in Bray (she wasn't drinking she was just with friends) a few weeks back and I was shocked at how small she was. I don't think I could match her speed. She'd get some good digs in before I could blink but I can't imagine she could deliver me a knock-out punch.

I will add that if you think all there is to boxing is punching, then you're quite mistaken sir!

Not at all Cassi. If it was simply about punching, all boxing matches would be like Rocky 4. I wouldn't be trying to get into a boxing match with her in any way shape or form.
    In the same way I couldn't beat her in a boxing match, she's not going to be able to out wrestle me.

@teednab-el Gina Carano is MMA, I wouldn't stand a chance and 99% of people in this country wouldn't have a hope either. Katie Taylor isn't MMA and as such, Gina Carano would make relatively light work of her in street fight.

@ceegee she's 5'4" and 60kg. I'm 6'1" and 115kg. 9 inch height difference and nearly double the weight. I tie her arms up, bring her to the ground- shows over. She's not supergirl and I'm not a thin asian woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Yeah I reckon I'd be victorious. I'd let her batter the shít me for the first few rounds just to make it interesting for the crowd, but then I'd be all like ....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7_dyKH15Qg&t=6m50s

efb wrote: »
    James Toney is not anywhere near the best boxer. Cruizerweight world champion hardly that impressive

Middleweight, Super Middleweight, and Cruiserweigh champion and knocked out Evander Holyfield.

Sounds impressive to me.

Not far off the truth. Minus the showboating and choke hold of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Not at all Cassi. If it was simply about punching, all boxing matches would be like Rocky 4. I wouldn't be trying to get into a boxing match with her in any way shape or form.
    In the same way I couldn't beat her in a boxing match, she's not going to be able to out wrestle me.

@teednab-el Gina Carano is MMA, I wouldn't stand a chance and 99% of people in this country wouldn't have a hope either. Katie Taylor isn't MMA and as such, Gina Carano would make relatively light work of her in street fight.

@ceegee she's 5'4" and 60kg. I'm 6'1" and 115kg. 9 inch height difference and nearly double the weight. I tie her arms up, bring her to the ground- shows over. She's not supergirl and I'm not a thin asian woman.

I think it is quite possible that a man like you could beat her in a brawl and I agree that people here do seem to think she's omnipotent.

I think it is quite possible that a man like you could beat her in a brawl and I agree that people here do seem to think she's omnipotent.

People have a lot of respect for her and her talent and are perhaps putting on her a pedestal that's slightly too high.
    She's definitely a force to be reckoned with, as long as she stays away from street fighting with men twice her size in temple bar ;)

• Advertisement

Yes I think boxing usefulness is being over rated here when it comes to street fighting.

Boxers can't magically connect to someone's jaw who tacking them, look at professional boxers who've tried.

There's a reason the best boxer on the planet Mayweather would lose in a real fight to any cage fighter.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCoZebICbUw

Didnt realise she was 5'4, a quick google gave several reports of her being 5 inches shorter than Dong.

That aside, i cant see a guy with average fitness and several excess stone being able to last very long with someone far more agile than them. I reckon she could avoid you long enough for you to be puking from exhaustion.

Plus you can get kicked in the nuts, she cant :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... Please don't take this as me boasting, I'm looking at this as realistically as possible. I'd be avoiding a boxing match at all costs. All she would have is her punches and with no way to swing her arms, she's all out of weapons.
    I'm sorry but I don't think you understand boxers / boxing or athletes at the pinnacle of their sport.

If you think two hands or punching ability are the sum total of the tools a boxer has to call on then I'm afraid IMHO you are already beaten. Speed of thought, speed in the feet, agility to change direction, to feint, drop a shoulder or twitch an eye-lid and fool your opponent to change his plan or direction, the ability to recover from set-backs, to endure pain and punishment which would have an ordinary human begging for mercy, the heart to keep going when all seems lost, that's a boxer and that's why boxers are special IMHO.

If I were as talented as Katie and you took me on, my first job is avoid your rushes and arms. At the first of you closing rushes a simple side-step and I'd bury my fist up to my elbow in your kidneys as you pass me. A single punch (illegal mind you if detected) can take the wind and will to live from you, and it also has the ability to empty your bladder and bowels simultaneously. Game set and match. Katie of course would not need to resort to foul tactics, but just wear you out by staying out of your way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

ceegee wrote: »
    * youtubes clip of taylor sparring vs paddy barnes*

Actually I just seen a clip of her sparring Rigondeaux (the cuban pro that knocked out casey in the first round), he's extremely slick but she gave him a decent spar

mathepac wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I don't think you understand boxers / boxing or athletes at the pinnacle of their sport.

If you think two hands or punching ability are the sum total of the tools a boxer has to call on then I'm afraid IMHO you are already beaten. Speed of thought, speed in the feet, agility to change direction, to feint, drop a shoulder or twitch an eye-lid and fool your opponent to change his plan or direction, the ability to recover from set-backs, to endure pain and punishment which would have an ordinary human begging for mercy, the heart to keep going when all seems lost, that's a boxer and that's why boxers are special IMHO.

If I were as talented as Katie and you took me on, my first job is avoid your rushes and arms. At the first of you closing rushes a simple side-step and I'd bury my fist up to my elbow in your kidneys as you pass me. A single punch (illegal mind you if detected) can take the wind and will to live from you, and it also has the ability to empty your bladder and bowels simultaneously. Game set and match. Katie of course would not need to resort to foul tactics, but just wear you out by staying out of your way.

Sounds good in theory.

Watch some boxers fighting people tackling them and you'll see its very different.

Kung Fu is a martial art that is practiced without contact.

Thay have moves like Little Red Fist, Through the back fist, Plum flower fist etc.

Sometimes some of these Kung Fu masters meet up to challege each other.

For some reason none of these moves are used and one guy ends up on top of the other punching him in the face.

This is how 99% of fights end up whether your Floyd Mayweather a Kung Fu master or Katie Taylor.

Watch this video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9L5vr3HKdE

Toney was never p4p so how can you describe him as an all time great???

He failed a drugs test and went off to mma- nothing to be impressed with

... Please don't take this as me boasting, I'm looking at this as realistically as possible. I'd be avoiding a boxing match at all costs. All she would have is her punches and with no way to swing her arms, she's all out of weapons.

Your points are totally true..... In a box match.

Boxers can't magically connect to someone's jaw who tacking them, look at professional boxers who've tried.

There's a reason the best boxer on the planet Mayweather would lose in a real fight to any cage fighter.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCoZebICbUw

Out of interest, have any of these pro's been anything but washed up bums?

Not surprised to see a clip of nobody's talking **** about mayweather, the guy makes anything from 25 million a fight so calling him out is understandable, he also lacks 1 punch knockout power so he's skills wouldn't transfer well

In fairness, Toney was a great talent but he was finished long before he went to MMA and never had a style that would transfer to MMA either. I think a 90's Jones for example would do a much better job

Sounds good in theory.

Watch some boxers fighting people tackling them and you'll see its very different.

Kung Fu is a martial art that is practiced without contact.

Thay have moves like Little Red Fist, Through the back fist, Plum flower fist etc.

Sometimes some of these Kung Fu masters meet up to challege each other.

For some reason none of these moves are used and one guy ends up on top of the other punching him in the face.

This is how 99% of fights end up whether your Floyd Mayweather a Kung Fu master or Katie Taylor.

Watch this video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9L5vr3HKdE

Yeah but this thread isn't about boxing vs other fighting styles, thats a whole different story. Its about could any poster here beat Katie Taylor in a fight, which I'm still confident the answer is no.

Also Liamario, Im pretty sure shes taller than 5'4, As far as I know shes about 5'8, 5'9ish!

• Advertisement

Didnt realise she was 5'4, a quick google gave several reports of her being 5 inches shorter than Dong.

That aside, i cant see a guy with average fitness and several excess stone being able to last very long with someone far more agile than them. I reckon she could avoid you long enough for you to be puking from exhaustion.

Plus you can get kicked in the nuts, she cant :)

You've either never been in a fight or are watching too many movies.

I take your point about my groin area though :-(

Yeah but this thread isn't about boxing vs other fighting styles, thats a whole different story. Its about could any poster here beat Katie Taylor in a fight, which I'm still confident the answer is no.

Also Liamario, Im pretty sure shes taller than 5'4, As far as I know shes about 5'8, 5'9ish!

The point is being good at boxing doesn't mean you can knock guys out at will.

The best boxers in the world can't do it against guys their own size, so how in the world is Katie Taylor supposed to stop a guy twice her size rushing her.

Not being sexist either a top female mma fighter would be a whole different story.

We're both wrong, she's 5'7. Her height was never going to be the problem anyways.
    I think some people are under the illusion that Katie is a super hero or something who could knock out an elephant with an uppercut. The reality is, she's just a boxer, not Kung fu jesus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

He failed a drugs test and went off to mma- nothing to be impressed with

He was a multi-time pro-boxing champ and he got obliterated by a 47 year old MMA guy in the twilight of his career in exactly the manner everyone with half a brain predicted. He got taken down and hammered into submission. This will happen every time a boxer fights an MMA fighter unless the MMA guy is stupid enough to try to knock out the boxer on his feet.

Boxers are good at boxing. MMA fighters are good at fighting.

Put Katie Taylor against a middling female MMA practitioner under MMA rules and she will lose horribly because boxing only works if the other person uses boxing exclusively.

The best boxers in the world can't do it against guys their own size, so how in the world is Katie Taylor supposed to stop a guy twice her size rushing her.

Not being sexist either a top female mma fighter would be a whole different story.

Couldn't agree more. When she picks up MMA, I might have to cancel the bout.

The best boxers in the world can't do it against guys their own size, so how in the world is Katie Taylor supposed to stop a guy twice her size rushing her

Only some boxers can't knockout with 1 shot, but there facing top pro's and wearing 8 - 10 oz gloves. Alot of these guys have stopped lower class opponents earlier in their career.
    When your on the street with no gloves against a guy who leaves his chin exposed, walks onto shots and flinches if/when he see's them coming and doesn't have the reactions so gets hit flush, it's a different story.

• Advertisement

I don't dispute this.
    They can't do it against men their own sizes, who are also experts in another form of combative sport. Katie being a top athlete vs an average guy I'd imagine she'd use her years of training in reading moves, agility, speed, ability to keep a cool head, forsight and her strength.
    Would just like to point out I don't think you're being sexiest at all, you posts haven't come off as such.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

colly10 wrote: »
    Only some boxers can't knockout with 1 shot, but there facing top pro's and wearing 8 - 10 oz gloves. Alot of these guys have stopped lower class opponents earlier in their career.
    When your on the street with no gloves against a guy who leaves his chin exposed, walks onto shots and flinches if/when he see's them coming and doesn't have the reactions so gets hit flush, it's a different story.

In that situation you break your hand. Boxing gloves are designed to make fights longer by stopping guys from busting up their hands quickly so they can swing harder for longer.

He was a multi-time pro-boxing champ

A long time ago, do you think he looked anything like that in his prime, he weighed in at 237, he was 167 when he fought Jones
    Actually have you ever watched the guy in his prime, it would be fairly obvious that even then his skills wouldn't transfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The point being made is because Randy Coutre and other proffessional MMA fighters can tackle someone easily then your average person could do the exact same. It's ridiculous really.

Middleweight, Super Middleweight, and Cruiserweigh champion and knocked out Evander Holyfield.

Sounds impressive to me.

IBF titles only

• Advertisement

In that situation you break your hand. Boxing gloves are designed to make fights longer by stopping guys from busting up their hands quickly so they can swing harder for longer.

True enough, happened to a guy in my old club, was attacked and fractured a bone in his hand when he landed but the guy who attacked him didn't jump up for seconds, he wasn't a puncher either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

Still not a pro yet.
    When she becomes one she has to face Cecilia Brækhus.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecilia_Br%C3%A6khus

And many other good fighters.

Still not a pro yet.
    When she becomes one she has to face Cecilia Brækhus.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecilia_Br%C3%A6khus

And many other good fighters.

Wouldnt Taylor be in a lower weight division than welterweight?

Wouldnt Taylor be in a lower weight division than welterweight?

Light welterweight women 60-64kg
    Welterweight women 64-69kg

The point being made is because Randy Coutre and other proffessional MMA fighters can tackle someone easily then your average person could do the exact same. It's ridiculous really.

So you don't think an average guy who is twice the size of Katie Taylor couldn't take her down.

Tackling someone half the size of you is not so hard, give it a try.

Has she got a good sprawl we don't know about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... When she becomes one she has to face Cecilia Brækhus. ....
    She won't turn pro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

It depends on a few things I suppose...

How agile / fit are ya?
    Can you throw a punch / take a punch?

I haven't trained in a good while now but I have a long enough reach that I could connect before she got too close but then she would be able to get in under me arm as I'm 6 ft 3" in me bare feet. But if I connected I'd do damage as I'm 18 stone :D

She won't turn pro.

How do you know????
    Such a talented boxer,and not turning pro??
    Cant see why she shouldnt give it a shot at the title

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

I'd bate the ****e ouh'ta her arse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

So you don't think an average guy who is twice the size of Katie Taylor couldn't take her down.

Tackling someone half the size of you is not so hard, give it a try.

Has she got a good sprawl we don't know about.

It is when they are a trained athlete. There reflexes and re-actions will be far quicker then mine. I think the average person would be to slow to be able to tackle someone without them telegraphing it a mile off. Also you only have one chance to do it and if you get it wrong and miss then you are in serious trouble.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement