Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People who grew up in Ireland calling it Boxing Day?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

cloneslad wrote: »
    The majority of my friends call it boxing day, as do I. Even friends who consider thmselves to have strong republican ideas.

It's not an anti Irish thing by the british, it's just what the day is called there (and in other commonwealth countries) so we shouldn't be offended by it. We call it boxing day because we were brought up watching BBC, UTV and Channel 4, the Irish stations used to have a pretty poor signal (still do if you don't have saorview)

This for me.

I rarely watch RTE (though more due to quality rather than signal strenght) so everything I watch refers to it as Boxing Day; Boxing Day Football being top of the list. Given I spend so much time on English forums as well, it's easier to call it Boxing Day. It's more convienent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Some people might just as well call themselves English for the degree of English cultural saturation in their lives. It does however help to explain why they go on rants against culturally Irish things like the Irish language on other fora. Some serious inferiority complex going on there.

The very idea that a term being used on British tv would result in an Irish person who watches those programmes using the term is fascinating in an 'I can't believe some people are so simple' way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    An episode of EastEnders?

if ye saw the amount for women in Carlow town fighting on "Boxing Day" night you'd see why it's called boxing day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 427 ✭✭GKidd

Don't disappoint these people. Punch them in the face if they continue this madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

Seanchai wrote: »
    Some people might just as well call themselves English for the degree of English cultural saturation in their lives. It does however help to explain why they go on rants against culturally Irish things like the Irish language on other fora. Some serious inferiority complex going on there.

The very idea that a term being used on British tv would result in an Irish person who watches those programmes using the term is fascinating in an 'I can't believe some people are so simple' way.

Same could be said though for the rampant 'Americanisms' that are alive and well in everyday conversation in Ireland (sadly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

hondasam wrote: »
    I don't know anyone who says Boxing day apart from myself and I'm usually corrected and told it's St Stephen's day in Ireland.

Of topic how many posters watched the Queens speech on Christmas day?

Its funny you should ask that.
    My parents were Republicans, and they would always watch the Queens speech on Christmas Day! I always found that ironic as they professed to hate the Queen and Margaret Thatcher when I was a child.
    My Aunt and Uncle were Volunteers during the Troubles, and they too watched the Queens speech every year. My Mother and my Aunt seemed to take great pleasure in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

GKidd wrote: »
    Don't disappoint these people. Punch them in the face if they continue this madness.

I hope you are not one of those hypocrites who cheer on Man Utd or Liverpood down the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Spunge wrote: »
    only 364 more days till christmas. woot.

Yeh I wonder what head liners will play at the next one, maybe Radiohead or Pink Floyd.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

People who grew up in Ireland calling it Boxing Day?

Why would people call Ireland Boxing Day?

• Advertisement

Seanchai wrote: »

Wait, this inferiority complex....are you saying people who grew up "English-ified" feel inferior? :S

And if there's rants against aspects of Irish culture (God knows, I'm not the biggest fan of the Irish language), perhaps its because in my viewing of English and American TV, I've realised how unnessecary it is on the larger global scale as opposed to the insular Irish scale....

Wait, this inferiority complex....are you saying people who grew up "English-ified" feel inferior? :S

And if there's rants against aspects of Irish culture (God knows, I'm not the biggest fan of the Irish language), perhaps its because in my viewing of English and American TV, I've realised how unnessecary it is on the larger global scale as opposed to the insular Irish scale....

English-ified is not a word.
    You mean Anglicised.
    It is a shame you cannot use English properly, as you consider it to be more necessary than Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

St Stephen's Day/Boxing Day/whatever. It's "St Stephens's Day" that gets me, and more and more people seem to say it. The saint's name is Stephen not Stephens, so where the hell is the extra 's' is coming from? Argh :mad:

You mean Anglicised.
    It is a shame you cannot use English properly, as you consider it to be more necessary than Irish.

And it's a shame you have to resort to attacking my word choice rather than address the point I made :rolleyes:

And it's a shame you have to resort to attacking my word choice rather than address the point I made :rolleyes:

You cannot even spell the word unnecessary so your point is not valid. Why would I address a point which is not valid?

You cannot even spell the word unnecessary so your point is not valid. Why would I address a point which is not valid?

The fact you can still understand what word I was typing shows it's not really a big issue. The funny thing is I'm an English teacher as well. But if you'd rather be a grammer nazi than actually try and retort the point, go ahead. Meanwhile, allow me to conclude this discussion with a roll-eyes smilie which really is nowhere near big enough to deal with this attempt at trolling.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

You mean Anglicised.

No one likes a grammar nazi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

KeithM89 wrote: »
    No one likes a grammar nazi.
    I do; I think they're a great bunch of lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i call it boxing day now, mainly because im in a country that doesnt know wtf stephens day is. it's a bit odd, but that's the way it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The funny thing is I'm an English teacher as well. But if you'd rather be a grammer nazi...

Seriously? An English teacher ? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

My mams English so refers to it as Boxing day-so I kinda just picked it up.
    The bf and his family always correct me when I say it though so now I say a mix of both-feck it, henceforth it shall just be December 26th!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

Posy wrote: »
    I say St. Stephen's Day because I'm Irish. I've never heard anyone Irish call it 'Boxing Day' to be honest. :)

http://http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sky-Niteclub-The-Abbey-Hotel/90656458383

Have a look at the facebook page for the Donegal Town nightclub, they have a boxing night disco in Ireland full of Irish people

The fact you can still understand what word I was typing shows it's not really a big issue. The funny thing is I'm an English teacher as well. But if you'd rather be a grammer nazi than actually try and retort the point, go ahead. Meanwhile, allow me to conclude this discussion with a roll-eyes smilie which really is nowhere near big enough to deal with this attempt at trolling.

:rolleyes:

You are an English Teacher?
    But you cannot spell?
    That is a disgrace.

I know. Our kids are doomed, right :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

You are an English Teacher?
    But you cannot spell?
    That is a disgrace.

Dno't psot in thiis thraed agin.

I know. Our kids are doomed, right :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say doomed overall (they may still have a decent maths or French teacher) but certainly doomed in terms of spelling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Good to see the typical self-loathing Irish out in force on this thread. I often wonder why so many of you stay when you clearly hate this place, its traditions (apart from giving out), and the general way we do things here.

It is called St. Stephens Day, or Wren Day (which is hopefully acceptable for the militant atheists that populate AH) in Ireland.

Good to see the typical self-loathing Irish out in force on this thread. I often wonder why so many of you stay when you clearly hate this place, its traditions (apart from giving out), and the general way we do things here.

It is called St. Stephens Day, or Wren Day (which is hopefully acceptable for the militant atheists that populate AH) in Ireland.

Says who though? People can call it what they like. Stop being such an insecure Irishman. It annoys me when people take it upon themselves to say what is the Irish thing to do and what is not. I remember being scolded and told i'm not a real Irishman because i don't like GAA.

We don't even use our own language anymore so whats the big deal about calling the 26th Boxing day.

woodoo wrote: »

Says who though? People can call it what they like. Stop being such an insecure Irishman. It annoys me when people take it upon themselves to say what is the Irish thing to do and what is not. I remember being scolded and told i'm not a real Irishman because i don't like GAA.

We don't even use our own language anymore so whats the big deal about calling the 26th Boxing day.

So will you call January 1st "New Year's Day", or will you wait until the Chinese New Year ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Wren day? WTF since when was it wren? never heard that one before.

Always Boxing Day or St Stephens day where I live on the East coast.

Wren day :confused: honestly never heard of it before, but if that's what some people call it than that's cool, and what does Wren mean anyway??

So will you call January 1st "New Year's Day", or will you wait until the Chinese New Year ?

New years day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,411 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Says who though? People can call it what they like. .

WTF do you call the day after Sunday? Workday / Doleday / Monday or does it really matter to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,411 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

LordSutch wrote: »
    Wren day? WTF since when was it wren? never heard that one before.

Always Boxing Day or St Stephens day where I live on the East coast.

Wren day :confused: honestly never heard of it before, but if that's what some people call it than that's cool, and what does Wren mean anyway??

GIYF

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wren_Day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Exactly. We had our language taken from us... now we are giving up the remnants of our culture, and not for anything better either. Ireland and the Irish have few traditions left because of globalisation and the homogenisation it brings. Calling it Boxing Day might be something small but its part of a larger loss of national identity.

There is almost the default reply of some here to dismiss the Irish way of doing things as being inferior to the ways of other nationalities and cultures. In other words, the right way is anyway except the Irish way, whether thats language, sport or wider cultural forms. Its not about insecurity but about the willingness to accept a phrase which harks back to the days of masters and servants - a tradition we ought not to be celebrating in an egalitarian republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Bet you will not find an english man calling it St Stephens day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Why is this such a big issue?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Exactly. We had our language taken from us... now we are giving up the remnants of out culture, and not for anything better either.
    Give an example? Is calling the 26th 'St Stephen's day' considered culture now or something?
    Ireland and the Irish have few traditions left because of globalisation and the homogenisation it brings. Calling it Boxing Day might be something small but its part of a larger loss of national identity.
    I hope you realise how ironic this post is.

It's called Saint Stephen's day in lots of different countries - from Wales to Serbia - because of the globalisation of the Roman Catholic Church. It isn't an Irish thing, it's a religious thing.
    In other words, the right way is anyway except the Irish way
    Who said that?

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Why is this such a big issue?:confused:

It's not that it's a big issue it's the principle that counts here,St Stephens day is what it's called in Ireland.

It's not that it's a big issue it's the principle that counts here,St Stephens day is what it's called in Ireland.

The principle of what exactly? Some people call it Boxing Day, in Ireland.

This is actually like something from the Monty Python series. Bizarre what people will get sentimental over.

• Advertisement

The principle of what exactly? Some people call it Boxing Day, in Ireland.

They are few and far between I think. I do not know any Irish person who calls it Boxing day.

They are few and far between I think. I do not know any Irish person who calls it Boxing day.

Apparently they do in Donegal. I don't know anyone who calls it that either, it isn't a thought that I often ponder.

Apparently they do in Donegal. I don't know anyone who calls it that either, it isn't a thought that I often ponder.

Not everyone in Donegal calls it Boxing day. We all get annoyed over little things but there is no way english people would call it St Stephens day.

We all get annoyed over little things but there is no way english people would call it St Stephens day.
    So? There's no way they would pay for Fair City either. So far we've established, what exactly?

Can we recap...

Does anyone actually have a problem with the term Boxing Day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 RebelBOK

I`ve heard it called wren`s day aswell in some places but growing up in cork ive never heard it called anything other than St.Stephens day, never heard it referred to as boxing day until we got sky years and years ago and was highly confused to say the least. In relation to loosing our culture, we unfortunatly are but little things like this will keep it alive, the Irish language has been given a kick up the arse in the last few years and is being taught better in the schools (my nieces and nephews can speak it better than i ever could) There is nothing wrong with a country trying to keep there culture and traditions, you`ll never see France or England or whoever willingly giving up their cultural uniqueities that make them who they are and we should be no different. If we all blend into one big ``beige`` boring continent it will be a hell of alot more miserable place to live than it already is. It`s the diversity that makes it such an attractive place and the Irish culture is very much a part of that. However we are obviously loosing it but i have faith the generations coming through will fight it and help restore and preserve our identity, it might be false hope on my part but it`s hope non the less.

New years day

Why though? Just because that's its proper name in this part of the world ?

If so, why be different for Stephen's Day ?

• Advertisement

later10 wrote: »

Does anyone actually have a problem with the term Boxing Day?

Yes some people would have a problem with it, our tradition is to call it St Stephens day. Why change it to Boxing day?

Not everyone in Donegal calls it Boxing day. We all get annoyed over little things but there is no way english people would call it St Stephens day.

I really fail to see the relevance.

Yes some people would have a problem with it,
    Who??
    our tradition is to call it St Stephens day. Why change it to Boxing day?
    Nobody wants to officially change anything.

Some people just have a habit of saying boxing day, most of them with UK connections it seems.

So what?

Sometimes even :confused: is not enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 RebelBOK

Your gonna get different people calling different things differnt names in every country, the fact of the matter is the majority of Irish people call it St Stephens day and for those people its important, it might not be important in the grand scheme of things but it`s little things that make people happy and people are alot better off worrying about the small things cause if we all concentrate on the big picture the whole time then we`ll all be depressed of our heads. Plus if we let go of the small things like St Stephens day then bigger things will follow. Quite honestly a person can call it what they want i dont care all I know is i like calling it St Stephens day so thats what Ill call it and id encourage everyone else to do the same as in relation to what they want to call it.

I really fail to see the relevance.

The relevance of what ?
    later10 wrote: »
    Who??

You cannot possibly think the majority of Irish people would want to call it Boxing day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement