Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i7 2600k with stock cpu cooler (Help)

Options
  • 27-12-2011 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hey, I've ordered a massive upgrade from dabs.ie and it's going to be arriving soon, I'm just wondering what kind of speeds I'll get with a stock cpu cooler on a i7 2600k.

Also, if anyone can suggest a cooler for a decent price that I could buy in or around town (dublin), I would appreciate that too. Looking to pull speeds of 4.5ghz or faster.

Soon to be specs;
    Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40GHz
    8GB (2 x 4GB) Viper Xtreme Series PC3-15000 1866MHz RAM
    Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 Intel Motherboard
    ATI Radeon 5850 HD, stock clocks. (Hoping to push it.)
    550w PSU.

I'm hoping I can run those parts on a 550w power supply, anybody got suggestions on case fans? Will I need them?

Thanks in advance.

~~For those wondering, I bought this bundle http://tinyurl.com/cxgbmpz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Is it for gaming?
    Why not get an i5 2600k + a good cooler and still have money left over.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 anto543

Yea, it's for kinda heavy gaming. I can't change my mind now, the bundle has been bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭infowars.com

pc world have the asus silent square cooler for 15 euro i got one but not sure if it will fit my amd m5a99x evo board

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

If there is one thing intel is consistent on....its that their stock coolers are horrible. You get one with every chip but stay well away.

A good after market cooler will cost you about 30-40 quid and is worth every penny. 90% of them are vastly superior.

Kirby wrote: »
    If there is one thing intel is consistent on....its that their stock coolers are horrible. You get one with every chip but stay well away.

A good after market cooler will cost you about 30-40 quid and is worth every penny. 90% of them are vastly superior.

I got myself a Cooler master Hyper 212 EVO, it had incredible reviews and it was cheap so i picked it up.

• Advertisement

anyone know if the asus silent square cooler will fit on m5a990x evo motherboard

anyone know if the asus silent square cooler will fit on m5a990x evo motherboard

No.

"ASUS Silent Square 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler"

This unit is made to use with Intel Socket 478/775, including the newest Core 2 Duo models and AMD K8 platforms. (Note: This is not designed for use with AMD AM2 Socket processors.)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

anto543 wrote: »
    Also, if anyone can suggest a cooler for a decent price that I could buy in or around town (dublin), I would appreciate that too. Looking to pull speeds of 4.5ghz or faster.

I've got mine runnig at 4.6 with a corsair H60!
    The 2600K has to be one of the easiest chips to overclock.
    On mine all I had to do with it was change the multiplier(in bios) from 34 to 46(base cloock of 100mhz) nd hey presto 4.6GHz.
    It's running about 28-29 on idle with a max of about 65 degrees.

Oh and ive got the exact same ram as you so there should be no prob overclocking. Just one you'd want to check is that your ram is actually running at 1866. Out of the box mine would only run a max of 1600 until I adjusted the timings on the Ram so it could actually achieve the 1866Mhz.
    Can't remember what they are at this moment, but I can look if you want me to!

stevenf17 wrote: »
    I've got mine runnig at 4.6 with a corsair H60!
    The 2600K has to be one of the easiest chips to overclock.
    On mine all I had to do with it was change the multiplier(in bios) from 34 to 46(base cloock of 100mhz) nd hey presto 4.6GHz.
    It's running about 28-29 on idle with a max of about 65 degrees.

Oh and ive got the exact same ram as you so there should be no prob overclocking. Just one you'd want to check is that your ram is actually running at 1866. Out of the box mine would only run a max of 1600 until I adjusted the timings on the Ram so it could actually achieve the 1866Mhz.
    Can't remember what they are at this moment, but I can look if you want me to!

Yea, mine is running at 1600mhz at stock timings right now, if I push it to 1866mhz, it will crash when trying to load my desktop/windows, if you could post your timings and voltage for me it would be brilliant.

I ended up going with a Hyper 212 evo, getting idles of around 29-34ish degrees. My max temps running prime95 would be 67, 68 degrees. Got a steady overclock of 4.4ghz with stock voltages.

Yea, mine is running at 1600mhz at stock timings right now, if I push it to 1866mhz, it will crash when trying to load my desktop/windows, if you could post your timings and voltage for me it would be brilliant.

I ended up going with a Hyper 212 evo, getting idles of around 29-34ish degrees. My max temps running prime95 would be 67, 68 degrees. Got a steady overclock of 4.4ghz with stock voltages.

Cool, i'll post them up when I get home!

• Advertisement

Cool, i'll post them up when I get home!

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.

my timings are 9,11,9,27,2
    no change to voltage! Hope that helps!

Alright, giving it a bang now, I'll let you know how it goes.

Alright, I just looked at my timings in the BIOS and they were the exact same, what voltage are you running at? Since maybe our motherboards might set it differently. It launched to desktop but BSOD'd during a prime95 stability test.

Sorry to hassle you, if it's too much to ask, don't worry about it.

asus silent square evo cooler fits on m5a99x evo motherboard

anto that cooler asus silent square evo works on the m5a99x evo motherboard amd chip

Alright, I just looked at my timings in the BIOS and they were the exact same, what voltage are you running at? Since maybe our motherboards might set it differently. It launched to desktop but BSOD'd during a prime95 stability test.

Sorry to hassle you, if it's too much to ask, don't worry about it.

Running at 1.650v from what I can see!
    wp000078a.jpg

and i take it you've changed the frequency of the RAM to 1866?

I'm running on a ASUS P67 sabertooth btw!

anto that cooler asus silent square evo works on the m5a99x evo motherboard amd chip

I just quoted what it said from the manufacturers website, it said it was incompatible with your chipset, I might have made a mistake, I stand corrected.

Running at 1.650v from what I can see!
    wp000078a.jpg

and i take it you've changed the frequency of the RAM to 1866?

I'm running on a ASUS P67 sabertooth btw!

Ok, have you tried testing it with prime95 for stability?

Gonna tighten the timings and see if I can get it working

here it is

• Advertisement

no worries m8 its not a bad cooler 17 to 20 degrees are the temps :)

Ok, have you tried testing it with prime95 for stability?

Gonna tighten the timings and see if I can get it working

Yeah I have and I've had the system since July and never had a crash!

Just posting the pic of my timing settings!
    wp000077i.jpg

no worries m8 its not a bad cooler 17 to 20 degrees are the temps :)

Nice board and cooler :D

Yeah I have and I've had the system since July and never had a crash!

Just posting the pic of my timing settings!
    wp000077i.jpg

Disregard what I said before, I just can't get it stable

Then again your motherboard may have better support that mine. ;)

Ok, I've got it to run prime95 now without crashing at startup. This is the timings i'm using (if you want to push your ram more)

st97b.png

Lets see if it crashes :(

(Thanks for your help, I appreciate it a LOT)

Advertisement