Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar theory help

Options
  • 27-12-2011 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I am thinking of teaching my self a bit of guitar theory.I am asking for help on how to make a sort of check list of what i need to learn.I understand there is a lot to learn in guitar theory and i dont want to learn it all.I just want to know what a guitarist should know i.e modes ,how chords are constructed etc.I am asking for a check list of what i should learn to understand guitar theory.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 calamcarroll

I am thinking of teaching my self a bit of guitar theory.I am asking for help on how to make a sort of check list of what i need to learn.I understand there is a lot to learn in guitar theory and i dont want to learn it all.I just want to know what a guitarist should know i.e modes ,how chords are constructed etc.I am asking for a check list of what i should learn to understand guitar theory.

i am currently teaching myself the 7 modes and diatonic scales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Moved from Musicals, hopefully this is a better suited forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

It really depends where you're at, so it's hard to tell. The subject is huge so here's a brief list of what I'd be working towards.

First things first. Learn all the notes on the neck. Learn to read music if you have the time.

Learn the modes, and learn the relationship between each mode. Start in the key of C and learn the modes of that key.

So this sequence is:
    C - Ionian
    D - Dorian
    E - Phrygian
    F - Lydian
    G - Mixolydian
    A - Aeolian
    B - Lydian

Why are they like this?

I'd say the next step would be to learn the simple chords that accompany each mode.

So which of the modes above can be played with these chords and why?

Chords:
    Major, Minor, Sus, Diminish.

Then move on to basic chord progressions.
    Again in the key of C you have:
    I
    ii
    iii
    IV
    V
    vi
    vii*

This site is excellent: http://classic.musictheory.net/

Good luck.
    AD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Music theory is the same no matter what instrument you play. The same theory applies to guitarists, pianists, trumpeters, sax players and bassists alike. How much you need or want to know, depends on the type of music, and how far you want to go with your playing. If you really want to study music theory, then I recommend this book ( link below). A teacher might also be a good idea for explaining things, and answering any questions you may have.

http://www.edly.com/mtfpp.html

Advertisement