Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Petty in the O2 :)

Options
  • 27-12-2011 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭

Got 2 tickets from the family. Boom! Cannot wait. Never seen him as he hasn't toured Europe since '91 or '92. I freakin' love TP and the Heartbreakers. Coolest man alive. Listening to him since I was 14 or 15 (about 20 years). I rarely talk about him to people but when I find out anyone is a Tom Petty fan, they go up in my estimation. Some of the most perfect songs ever. For the uninitiated look up American Girl, Mary Jane's Last Dance, Complex Kid, Change of Heart and Here Comes My Girl. And then kick yourself for not having bought tickets. And if you don't like what you hear, go to hell. You have no soul :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

Got mine ok but there still available on Ticketmaster so not sold out yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

gernon wrote: »
    Got mine ok but there still available on Ticketmaster so not sold out yet

This reflects badly on the people of Ireland. Not enough coolness to go around, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

il gatto wrote: »
    This reflects badly on the people of Ireland. Not enough coolness to go around, I suppose.

Or else maybe they don't like him?

Bonavox wrote: »

Or else maybe they don't like him?

Isn't that the same thing? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Got 2 tickets from the family. Boom! Cannot wait. Never seen him as he hasn't toured Europe since '91 or '92. I freakin' love TP and the Heartbreakers. Coolest man alive. Listening to him since I was 14 or 15 (about 20 years). I rarely talk about him to people but when I find out anyone is a Tom Petty fan, they go up in my estimation. Some of the most perfect songs ever. For the uninitiated look up American Girl, Mary Jane's Last Dance, Complex Kid, Change of Heart and Here Comes My Girl. And then kick yourself for not having bought tickets. And if you don't like what you hear, go to hell. You have no soul :)
    American Girl = The Stokes - Last Night
    Mary Jane = RHCP - Dani California
    both Petty songs obviously ripped off, he never bothered suing though

• Advertisement

Dotsey wrote: »
    American Girl = The Stokes - Last Night
    Mary Jane = RHCP - Dani California
    both Petty songs obviously ripped off, he never bothered suing though

Cos he's cool, innit. And his songs so superior, he didn't notice the plagiarism. And because he wouldn't listen to that sort of radio station. And maybe he is going to sue, but is so laid back, hasn't got around to calling his lawyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bacopa

Most people say who if I mention his name? Yet when his music comes on the radio they all say "Oh so that him? Love that song"! Combined trip to New York 18 months ago to go see him in Madison Square Gardens and what a night:D Thankfully he listened to the European fans this year and will be here shortly! Great concert guaranteed;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

So, you basically just started this tread just to show off? lol

Anyway, I'm not a huge fan of his but I do like some of his songs. Breakdown is a pretty cool song.

Suas11 wrote: »

Anyway, I'm not a huge fan of his but I do like some of his songs. Breakdown is a pretty cool song.

Not showing off. Just happy. Keep missing the legends. This time I won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I've been a fan of TP for many years now and 'Damm The Torpedoes ' is one of my fav albums with such great tracks like Refugee ,You Tell Me ,Even The Losers , Louisiana Rain below :)

• Advertisement

Latchy wrote: »
    I've been a fan of TP for many years now and 'Damm The Torpedoes ' is one of my fav albums with such great tracks like Refugee ,You Tell Me ,Even The Losers , Louisiana Rain below :)

Some of the best driving music ever. Window down on a summers evening. Magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Love the guy and can't wait to see him...

Have you seen the 4 hour documentary on him and the heartbreakers?

Keyzer wrote: »

I've seen a few, but I don't think any were that long. Is that "Runnin' Down a Dream"? Need to get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Only noticed there now that he's coming over. I'd love to go and see him.

I'll have to see though. MASSIVE summer ahead. The Boss, RHCP, Tom Petty, the Euros and the Olympics as well. Money will be very tight.

What are his live shows like? The only live show I've seen was him at the Superbowl ha.

EDIT: Just saw that it's his first European tour in 20 years. Jaysus, I suppose no one here has seen him live then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Suas11 wrote: »

Speaking of showing off...

I saw him at Knebworth in 1978

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Speaking of showing off...

I saw him at Knebworth in 1978

Cool.
    http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/knebworth-festival1978.html

Not a vintage year down the bill, maybe, but Jefferson Starship and Tom Petty would've been excellent I think. I suspect Genesis may have been too noodly for my tastes. They don't do rock concerts like that anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

Tickets still on sale for tom petty, which surprised me some. Anyway, i got mine. Really looking fwd to the gig in The Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Cool.
    http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/knebworth-festival1978.html

Not a vintage year down the bill, maybe, but Jefferson Starship and Tom Petty would've been excellent I think. I suspect Genesis may have been too noodly for my tastes. They don't do rock concerts like that anymore.

Genesis live were a lot better than the albums.

And tom Petty rocked. I'd barely heard of him back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers played the Point on 18th and 19th March 1992. I was at the two shows.

Both incredible gigs, 2.5 hrs each but with the exact same setlist.

Ive started to purchase his albums that I missed out on over the years.

Ive always though "Full Moon Fever" was his best but "Wildflowers" is equally as good.

The "live anthology" is great value for money and a great introduction for new fans.

"Running Down a Dream" is also the most comprehensive documentry your likely to see from any band/artist.

Roll on June 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Keyzer wrote: »

That was on BBC4 over the weekend, I loved every single minute of it.

• Advertisement

Any idea what time the gig starts tomorrow?

The boys are in town, just passed Benmont Tench outside the Merrion Hotel.

Roll on tomorrow night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

urbanledge wrote: »
    Any idea what time the gig starts tomorrow?

I'd say 8 to be safe. Should be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭TomPetty

Merrion Hotel !! Really ? ;)

Great gig, I really enjoyed it. Tom played a good selection of the older stuff along with not too much of the new stuff.

You'd miss Howie Epstein from the lineup though, especially for his backing vocals.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/328127/208093.jpg

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/328127/208094.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

Well was he good?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭TomPetty

Fantastic Show !! I agree - Howie was sadly missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

Great show, vocals were a bit ropey at the start from block a, I'm never gonna book O2 priority tickets again we were over in the corner of block a. What a joke priority my arse, great gig though would love to see them in Cork

I dont think Howie was missed at all, Scott Thurston was great on the harmonies and on "Handle with Care".

Steve Ferrone is definitley a better drummer than Stan Lynch.

On another note, Itunes is selling a tour edition of Mojo.
    It includes a bonus 12 live tracks from the 2010 Mojo tour of the states.

For me, last night was my 3rd Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers show.
    Roll on number 4!

• Advertisement

I would've loved to have met Tom, I only saw this morning that apparently the band met with members of the Highway Companions Club at 5pm. I would've joined in a flash if I'd known.

Is anyone here a member of the HCC or did you hear how the 5pm meet went?

Advertisement