Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bouncers/Door policy in Australia

Options
  • 27-12-2011 2:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Anyone else find the attitude and nature of bouncers and door policy here very, very annoying? I only have Melbourne as an example but still.

Last night, myself and a mate went to go into PJ O'Briens in Southbank for a pint around 9 o clock. It's your standard Irish bar but it serves decent Guinness and it's a 4 minute walk from my door so it is effectively my local. The two of us go there for a few pints a couple of times a week, mainly after work.

We walked up to the door last night to be told that 'there are too many guys in there, only letting groups with women in'. I was stunned: we were stone cold sober and the guy knows me to see. I usually get a nod and a 'how are you' out of him on the way in. As I say, we were both regulars and like to have a few quiet pints. I'm very annoyed today and will be voting with my feet by going elsewhere.

Anyone else find door policy over here mind boggling at times?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I've gotten that twice from door staff in Melbourne. Never went back. Anywhere with door staff like that is not a place i want to be in.
    There are more relaxed places where the bouncers are more civil and actually engage with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No more mind boggling than Ireland where "Not tonight lads" is a line regularly weeded out.

There are shit bouncers in every city/country so it's not an inherently Australian thing by any means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Xavi6 wrote: »
    No more mind boggling than Ireland where "Not tonight lads" is a line regularly weeded out.

There are shit bouncers in every city/country so it's not an inherently Australian thing by any means.

See, like anyone, I'm used to this in certain places in Dublin, London, Australia or anywhere but it's the idea of getting it in what is essentially my local pub is what gets me.

There is so much turnover of Irish people through Melbourne that the place will keep doing amazing business but I will be telling everyone i can to avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I don't think of pj's as a pub id consider as my local. Its just a money making franchise, like a mc donalds of pubs, who don't really care so long as the tills are ringing. Pricey place too.
    Bit of a walk but consider the drunken poet. Nice Guinness and its a lovely little pub. What id consider a proper pub to be like

Slunk wrote: »
    I don't think of pj's as a pub id consider as my local. Its just a money making franchise, like a mc donalds of pubs, who don't really care so long as the tills are ringing. Pricey place too.
    Bit of a walk but consider the drunken poet. Nice Guinness and its a lovely little pub. What id consider a proper pub to be like

It is my local as in literally the closest pub to me! Far from the greatest place in the world but the stout is OK and I just like my Guinness a lot.

I will check out the Drunken Poet, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Flip mate you should at least give the Pub a chance to respond.

If it really annoyed you you should write a letter to the Venue. State the time and date you went there and the number on the doormans chest if you have it.

Sadly doormen while trained to a minimum standard are sometimes on a huge power trip. Having worked in Ireland and Australia on doors Ireland had as many idiots as Australia.

On several occasions I encountered Doormen trying to dictate door policy on behalf of the venue with no permission to do so. In these hard times a doorman who refused custom for no good reason is likely to get short shift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Anyone else find the attitude and nature of bouncers and door policy here very, very annoying? I only have Melbourne as an example but still.

Last night, myself and a mate went to go into PJ O'Briens in Southbank for a pint around 9 o clock. It's your standard Irish bar but it serves decent Guinness and it's a 4 minute walk from my door so it is effectively my local. The two of us go there for a few pints a couple of times a week, mainly after work.

We walked up to the door last night to be told that 'there are too many guys in there, only letting groups with women in'. I was stunned: we were stone cold sober and the guy knows me to see. I usually get a nod and a 'how are you' out of him on the way in. As I say, we were both regulars and like to have a few quiet pints. I'm very annoyed today and will be voting with my feet by going elsewhere.

Anyone else find door policy over here mind boggling at times?

I was there on Christmas Eve. It really is a sh1thole! There was even some bloke stumbling around in a Kilkenny jersey. FFS!!

Try The Corkman in Carlton on a Thursday nights. Fantastic trad Irish session in a genuine Irish owned pub. The owner is a friendly skin, looks like Santa Claus (or Kenny Rogers according to himself). Great grub there aswell.

If you think Melbourne is bad then dont go to Perth. I never bring out my passport in Melbourne, and have never been refused entry in Melbourne when I show my Garda I.D. In Perth however, not only do I need to show a passport (no other forgein ID is accepted, even drivers licence), they also scan the passport, and then take a photo of me. Absolutely OTT. It was noon on a Sunday and I was going into The Shed to have a fry up, and they were requiring passports to enter. One lad said to me that for one club he had to provide them with his bank card. Didn't like the city at the best of times, throw that sh1t in, and I am pretty certain I will never go back. They kick you out for the most ridiculous things aswell. Really don't know why they are stricter in WA than they are in Victoria, but that's the way it appears to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

We walked up to the door last night to be told that 'there are too many guys in there, only letting groups with women in'.

+

a few pints

Equals a whole lot of work later on in the night for blokes who are more than likely working two jobs and are sick of dragging knuckle heads out who drink to much and cant get their end wet, i doubt its the Doormen as such but policy they are going by.

The Aussie wrote: »
    +

Equals a whole lot of work later on in the night for blokes who are more than likely working two jobs and are sick of dragging knuckle heads out who drink to much and cant get their end wet, i doubt its the Doormen as such but policy they are going by.

Shock horror blokes go to pub and expect to have a few pints....

You cant run a pub like that.

+

That's their job. If they don't want to do the work then they can look for a different job. Nobody is forcing them to be doorman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Ive found the bouncers to be pretty sound in sydney, Like the soundest guy ive met here is scubars bouncer, Promoters on the other hand christ their so ****ing annoying, But havent came across a prick bouncer as of yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

How is that place still open , In Feb 2000 myself and gf now wife had lunch there and 2/3 pints , We then went shopping and back to the hotel and changed so we could meet family later on , We decided to meet in PJ's as we were in there earlier and familiar (We were tourists) We had been weariing short's/runners , I got back around 7pm with slack's/shirt and a dark pair of nike's , The muppets refuse entry due to me wearing runners, All you had to do was look over his shoulder and dozen's of people were inside all wearing you guessed it shorts/t-shirts.

+

A few pints = A FEW PINTS.

I'm 27 years of age. I'm perfectly capable of having 5/6 pints and heading home.

This is my main point of the whole thing: the regular door staff here will know me well. I'm the quiet bloke in the corner. The guy who is polite to the staff 9bouncer and bar) and just spends money.

Zambia wrote: »

If it really annoyed you you should write a letter to the Venue. State the time and date you went there and the number on the doormans chest if you have it.

I will probably go in and have a word with the manager this week when it's
    quiet. I have met her before and she seems clued in.

The whole thing has been annoying though. I thought i got away from this type of crap when i turned 18!

+

Actually, i just noticed that you edited and quoted my post to make it look like i had been drinking before i want to the bar when anyone who reads my post fully would realise that this is not the case.

As Zambia points out, what is to be expected of a grown man walking into a pub at 9 o clock at night?? If you work on the door of a bar and do not expect people to consume alcohol, you are in the wrong job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I thought i got away from this type of crap when i turned 18!

If they were turning you away before you hit 18, then they were doing their job!

But I find bouncers, particularly in the city, extremely strict.
    I also don't always blame the bouncer, in Australia they have very strict drinking laws, and if there is certain number of fights per year they can lose a lot of privileges or go on the 'naughty list', - which means plastic cups, no entry late in night etc, which can lead to huge money loses.

But saying that, of course there is a huge number of d*cks out there (both patrons and bouncers) which can really ruin a night out.

Though one thing I will say, is that if I am refused, usually I am told why, e.g. I think you've had too much, as opposed to Ireland's 'Not tonight lads'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Too right.

Jesus the way some people talked back home it would be impossible to get drunk in Australia. I could count on one hand the amount of times Ive been refused or asked to leave without good reason, and even then you have to be pretty badly pissed to get the boot. The RSA rules generally are a bit of red tape that arent adhered to bar a few places that are on very thin ice with the police (T Gardens will easily throw you out if you arent a regular, for example). Id regularly be on 30 plus hour sessions Saturday into Sunday and still be getting in no bother. The rules on dress code are unbelieveable- imagine trying to get into even a sh1te club in Dublin weaing runners (mind you nearly every club in Dublin is sh1te anyway)

When I lived in Sydney I shared a house with a bloke from Blackpool he was a a very big bloke and ranked 10 amateur heavyweight boxer in the UK.

Him and a mate spent the day drinking they moved on to a pub in kings cross. Three doormen refused them as his mate was in shorts. They used the usual derision while doing so.

One punch sent the lead doorman down the stairs knocked out cold (I used to hold mitts for this guy the power in his fist was pretty savage).

The other two doormen stood there. He asked them did they have anything further to add? He walked away, always taught me you never know who you are talking to so be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

nice to see a punter getting one back,
    Not sure about Sydney or Melbourne, as I've only been briefly and was trying to avoid pub crawls, but in Brisbane they generally aren't too bad, they are nazi's in the Valley, but they pretty much need to be at the weekends. Most of the ones in the city are grand, big fat bludgers and a few big kiwis in the mix, not bad blokes for the most part, but the odd one will have a bad day and be a cnut. As for the valley most of the security are bikie/ex-bikie crews anyway, so don't expect anything pleasant from them and avoid going toe to toe because they've got the numbers, the cameras have blind spots and I know people who've been flanked and king hit. Havin said that, if you don't get violent, you can always have a sneer and make them look like the goonsacks they are

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

This is not 100% true. Legal outcomes due to drunk people suing the bar or club where they got drunk in due to a later accident or fall or the like means that the bars are liable where in Ireland they would not be.

To be honest its dumb. If you get drunk and fall somewhere. It's your own fault not the bars but because of the setup it gives the bouncers a license to be complete AHs here throwing people out for practically nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

The whole thing has been annoying though. I thought i got away from this type of crap when i turned 18!

That's pretty shocking, considering the time of night and type of venue you were trying to get into.

The whole "your not getting in cause your not with women" happened once to me but in fairness it was 2.45am and in the CBD...me and the gf had no probs but all the other lads were getting no where.

I'd defo go back and have a chat with the manager though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

We walked up to the door last night to be told that 'there are too many guys in there, only letting groups with women in'. I was stunned: we were stone cold sober and the guy knows me to see.

The first time this happened to me was about 9 years ago at that Club92 place at Leopardstown, its happened a couple of times in Sydney but when it does you are safer walking than arguing.

Better to be the grey man and walk than blot your card.
    always taught me you never know who you are talking to so be nice.

That's a lesson for life.

Also never just judge on a man's physical size as that could be the deadliest misjudgement you ever make.

I worked as a doorman long enough to wonder what the hell my colleagues were thinking when they said this stuff.

My favorite was
    "Sorry lads I don't know you?"

Such stupid comments would have Mother Theresa hanging around the door having a go...

Generally in the bouncer handbook (yes there was one) most of the stuff they did, they where told not to do. Stuff bouncers did, they learned from other doormen.

Most doormen should engage each patron as they walk in. This gauges if they are pissed or their attitude. Pubs like happy people. By engage I mean say hello get a response then wish them a good night. That's it no "where have you been tonight?", because that's none of your business.

If I said hello and someone refused to acknowledge me they got stopped. Generally most people just where amazed I was talking to them and quickly said hello back. Sometimes you discover the bloke or girl so pissed they are using every inch of concentration trying to keep it together. 99% of the time people passed in quietly in good sprits.

People under dressed I used to ask could they go and get something else to wear. I used to know they could not but it sounds better than "No".

Scars on people got them passed on down the line via radio as don't let ins. This was crap, we would ask them about the scar or wound and every time they happily told the story. A good few times the bloke would be let in free by the head doorman.

Be aware as well a pub can hold a lot more drunk people than sober people. If everyone is hammered they don't mind being jammed like sardines.

I can recall about two or three doormen that acted like I did I loved working with them as the night passed of easy with nil fights or injury. Sadly most Dublin door men had no clue.

I worked as a doorman long enough to wonder what the hell my colleagues were thinking when they said this stuff.

My favorite was
    "Sorry lads I don't know you?"

Such stupid comments would have Mother Theresa hanging around the door having a go...

Generally in the bouncer handbook (yes there was one) most of the stuff they did, they where told not to do. Stuff bouncers did, they learned from other doormen.

Most doormen should engage each patron as they walk in. This gauges if they are pissed or their attitude. Pubs like happy people. By engage I mean say hello get a response then wish them a good night. That's it no "where have you been tonight?", because that's none of your business.

If I said hello and someone refused to acknowledge me they got stopped. Generally most people just where amazed I was talking to them and quickly said hello back. Sometimes you discover the bloke or girl so pissed they are using every inch of concentration trying to keep it together. 99% of the time people passed in quietly in good sprits.

People under dressed I used to ask could they go and get something else to wear. I used to know they could not but it sounds better than "No".

Scars on people got them passed on down the line via radio as don't let ins. This was crap, we would ask them about the scar or wound and every time they happily told the story. A good few times the bloke would be let in free by the head doorman.

Be aware as well a pub can hold a lot more drunk people than sober people. If everyone is hammered they don't mind being jammed like sardines.

I can recall about two or three doormen that acted like I did I loved working with them as the night passed of easy with nil fights or injury. Sadly most Dublin door men had no clue.

Excellent post.

Too right.

Jesus the way some people talked back home it would be impossible to get drunk in Australia. I could count on one hand the amount of times Ive been refused or asked to leave without good reason, and even then you have to be pretty badly pissed to get the boot.

Yeah, I actually like the rules on removing/not serving people who have had too much to drink. Stops people being a danger to otehrs and mainly, a danger to themselves. I'm yet to experience it myself thankfully.

It would be a good one for Ireland even if it would be impossible to implement!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

04072511 wrote: »
    I was there on Christmas Eve. It really is a sh1thole! There was even some bloke stumbling around in a Kilkenny jersey. FFS!!

Try The Corkman in Carlton on a Thursday nights. Fantastic trad Irish session in a genuine Irish owned pub. The owner is a friendly skin, looks like Santa Claus (or Kenny Rogers according to himself). Great grub there aswell.

If you think Melbourne is bad then dont go to Perth. I never bring out my passport in Melbourne, and have never been refused entry in Melbourne when I show my Garda I.D. In Perth however, not only do I need to show a passport (no other forgein ID is accepted, even drivers licence), they also scan the passport, and then take a photo of me. Absolutely OTT. It was noon on a Sunday and I was going into The Shed to have a fry up, and they were requiring passports to enter. One lad said to me that for one club he had to provide them with his bank card. Didn't like the city at the best of times, throw that sh1t in, and I am pretty certain I will never go back. They kick you out for the most ridiculous things aswell. Really don't know why they are stricter in WA than they are in Victoria, but that's the way it appears to be.

Yeah Perth can be a bit mad alright, there is even a pub somewhere that finger prints you i was told before!?
    It also depends where in Perth you go, i went to the mint nightclub one saturday night and the bouncer let me in with my Irish licence. When i got to the chick that scans the i.d and takes a photo she nearly fell off her chair.:)
    The Burswood casino is another place that has weird ways.
    Went one night and was twisted and when i got to the bouncer he said "how much you drink tonight?'' i said "too much". He just laughed and said go on ahead???
    Couple of weeks later was at a blackjack table with my mate and a group of bikies having the craic with them and was quite sober. I went to go for a smoke and before i got out side i was grabbed by both arms and told i had to leave because i was making trouble, wtf!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

04072511 wrote: »
    That's their job. If they don't want to do the work then they can look for a different job. Nobody is forcing them to be doorman.

Ahh No, you quoted me as saying "Dragging out Knuckle heads". If its gotten to the stage where someone is being dragged out someone has not been doing their jobs, either Door Staff or Bar staff or both, Prevention and Intervention are easier than the alternative.

So your first recourse was to run home and post the incident on a forum questioning the Policies of Licensed Premises of a whole Nation instead of opening up dialogue, you might find you get further with a quiet word later on and more respect gained.

Besides this is only one side of the story, ive been on the receiving end of 2 serious complaints and several flippant ones (first started doing security work in 1993 to supplement the poor wages of a apprentice) so there is always bound to be a couple in that time frame, and all the "stories" the Hotel/Night Club manager got told went against incident reports and recorded footage, so as always there are two sides to a story and we have only heard one.
    Actually, i just noticed that you edited and quoted my post to make it look like i had been drinking before i want to the bar when anyone who reads my post fully would realise that this is not the case.

Im a cheeky Sausage then aren"t I:D

Bouncers in general are d1cks. Had a horrific experience in club 21 in Dublin back when I was in college. Was the night I finished my finals, and I admittadly got a bit pissed. I didn't feel well so I decided to go into the toilet, into one of the cubicles to compose myself :). Of course the door of the cubicle had no lock, as per usual. Somebody tried to get into the cubicle, so naturally I tried to barrocade the door shut. What else would one do when sitting on a toilet seat? Within minutes the African dude who does the useless job of selling hair gel, and providing other toiletries for a small fee, contacted the bouncers saying that I was in the toilet doing drugs. Within seconds two big massive lads rip open the door of my cubicle, and without even checking for drugs, pick me up, and hurl me out of the toilets, and then out of the establishment by the back exit, onto some side street, and slammed the doors shut. Thankfully I wasn't taking a sh1t at the time, but I could well have been.

I go over to the front door, ask for the manager and he doesn't listen to a word I say and goes along with what the bouncers said. Ridiculous stuff. I am completely anti-drugs, and have never even touched a cigarette in my life. When I got home, I rang him up and had a massive argument over the phone with him. The arrogant pr1ck just wouldn't listen. Eventually the next day, over email, he apologised, and said he now believes my side of the story, but didn't offer any compensation, like a few free drinks tokens. Never went back to the sh1thole!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Have to say haven't really had a problem with the doormen in Perth and find the whole process much better than in Dublin.

Scanning your ID and taking a picture of you as you're going in is a brilliant idea imo, as it can stop someone who caused trouble one night getting in a few weeks later when the bouncers may have forgotten his face. Sure it means you queue a little bit longer, but it's worth it imo.

Only thing that annoys me is the dress code. I never wear shoes out at home but here you have to wear shoes to all the clubs and any decent bar. Aside form that though the door policy here is great.

• Advertisement

The photo is there that if you assault someone in the venue you are identified by police later.

They will have video/witnesses of the assault with the clothes on you.
    They have a picture of you in those clothes and your id.

Advertisement