Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Clonsast

Options
  • 27-12-2011 3:05am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My parents live in Clonsast and I was down visiting over the Christmas and forgot how woeful their broadband is. They are on satellite broadband with a company called two way because at the time (and more than likely still) there were no other options available.

Anyone from around there know of any alternatives that give even semi decent speeds? Or have an idea when the lines might be upgraded with the likes of Eircom so they could go with them.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

There is very decent 3G broadband with three in Clonbullogue, but I'm not sure if you are within range.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Thanks for the reply. I find when I am down home the phone signal is awful, well indoors anyways. Literally have to leave the phone by the window to get a signal at all so not sure it would get up to 3G.

It might be beyond the range of the Clonbullogue mast. In Clonbullogue ye NBS is set up but the take is small so the contention is pretty good, which results in DL speeds in excess of my current 8gb Eircom BB. Whereabouts in closest are you and I could pop out there over the next few days and run a quick speedtest to see what it's like.

Jeez that would be amazing thanks a million. I will pm you on a link there to a Google Map with the general whereabouts. Really appreciate that.

I was driving through today so I done a few quick tests. The first one was at Nahana cross. Ping: 58ms
    DL Speed: 1.85 mbps
    UL Speed: 0.57 Mbps

The second was at the top of the lane that leads down to ye Bracknagh GAA ground.
    Ping: 137ms
    DL Speed: 0.25 Mbps
    UL Speed: 0.22 Mbps

The third was just on the straight up to the T Junction on the main Port road.
    Ping: 562ms
    DL Speed: 0.05 mbps
    UL Speed: 0.01 Mbps

As you can see the further you get away from Nahana the worse the speeds. Just to note that these are individual tests and other results may vary but they do suggest that broadband with three deteriorates as you approach Portarlington. It looks like three might not be the answer for you after all unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Thought as much but thanks a million for taking the time to do that. The thing is the closer you get to Portarlington the more likely you are to be able to get Eircom so unfortunately where they are is like a black spot that just isnt going to be sorted until Eircom decide to do something with the lines or the exchance..which will more than likely be never.

Advertisement