Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How quickly would you expect a bill.

• 27-12-2011 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

I'm just curious as to how soon you would expect to receive a bill from a monumental company.

We discussed details of headstone, inscription, colour and design last August/September and we handed over a deposit of €1000.

The Headstone was erected on 20/12/11 and on 23/12/11 we received a bill for the outstanding balance.

The bill came with a footnote in bold black font indicating that due to close of business for Christmas holidays the bill was to be cleared by close of business on 23/12/11.

I'm a little shocked that the company would be this insensitive/ignorant take your pick

Maybe this is standard practice can anyone enlighten me ?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I would have expected it to be like any other bill - payment within 28/30 days of the date they send out the invoice.

I think expecting payment on the day you received the bill (especially it being the day before Christmas Eve!) is quite unreasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

I suppose any business 'these days' is eager to get cash-flow, etc....but...

A few months back, I contacted a stonemason's firm in Kilkenny city regarding an inscription on a headstone for my aunt. She had been buried in a family grave, so we didn't have to purchase a headstone. Howver the headstone had moved a bit (due to tree roots or something), and it required cleaning. The firm in question were almost apologetic when they gave me a quote for €450 for the job. They advised that no matter what wording was used, the cost would be the same - something which struck me as sort of kind..or democratic!

They carried out the job without any deposit (or without having met me at all), and when I paid them a few days after the job had been completed, they seemed quite shocked that I was settling up so early.

God bless the firm - Gargan & Sons - for their decency!

I hope you wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to finalise your bill - like the previous poster says, 28 days or so would be considered as usual, particularly as you paid such a large 'deposit'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

I was the opposite- I requested the bill. I had never been the the person footing the bill of a funeral and so found not knowing the cost really stressful.

From my husbands burial to the headstone- I had no idea if the bill would be €1000 or €10,000- so I wanted to know as soon as I could.

Funeral directors and Stonemasons have bills to pay like any other-I wouldn't expect any different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 claff1978

I think it was fair enough of them to send out the invoice to you but they should have given you 30 days to pay for the headstone. I know a 1000 euro is a lot of money for a deposit but i can guarentee that this didnt cover the cost of the material for the headstone. This company might have had to pay for the stone in advance as a lot of companies are no longer giving credit these days i know its a sensitive business but its still a business these people have bills and staff to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Original post is from 2011, please don't post to old threads as it can cause pain and anguish to the original posters.
    If you are anyway unsure please take some time now to read our charter.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement