Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just got a UPC network upgrade letter for Ashbourne Co.Meath

• 27-12-2011 11:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

As mentioned already the estate is cabled for anologue underground to the side of the house so should make it a bit easier to re-cable. Wouldnt mind but had a load of the usual suspects (eircom etc) canvasing the estate all summer and up until a month ago. Was onto VF to see if we could get anymore than 8mb but am to far from the exchange. Do these companies have access to UPC upgrade maps and target estates before UPC get to them.
    Also anyone tell me how long it usual takes them to get going once the letter comes through the door. Have UPC ironed out all the kinks, was also thinking of upgrading the coaxial around the house back to the side of house where they will hook up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

cubix wrote: »
    As mentioned already the estate is cabled for anologue underground to the side of the house so should make it a bit easier to re-cable. Wouldnt mind but had a load of the usual suspects (eircom etc) canvasing the estate all summer and up until a month ago. Was onto VF to see if we could get anymore than 8mb but am to far from the exchange. Do these companies have access to UPC upgrade maps and target estates before UPC get to them.
    Also anyone tell me how long it usual takes them to get going once the letter comes through the door. Have UPC ironed out all the kinks, was also thinking of upgrading the coaxial around the house back to the side of house where they will hook up.

it going take about 2 months before you be able to get it .i think you should keep your current broadband supplier for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

You will being to notice them doing all the work over the next few weeks.

The problem is that there is no guarantee you will be up and running in the next two months, Which is the usual time frame for this kind of work, depending on the size of the area they are upgrading.

The problem i had was that there was a "stopper" in my area, Basically some scab wouldn't let them put new lines under his precious gutters(Even though the old lines were there). He apparently was demanding free everything from them forever!! It was a joke! Because i was anticipating the 100Mb line, took an extra month to get it sort just because of that one small house, They had to dig around his house.

Anyway, Got it all but in the end it was 3 months for the date of the letter. So it would be best to wait until you are sure it's ready to go. If it was me i wouldn't cancel your current broadband until you had the new one set up, At least then you wont go a day without the service, Because anything can go wrong at any point before the installation is completely done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 GroeneThee

Hm, early to mid September I got this letter from UPC saying that they would upgrade my area. I live in Dublin 1. Now I called some time ago and they said it was due for release on 28 November. Now it's over one month after that and every house in my street has broadband, except mine and 4 others adjecent to it We have only have Digital TV and HD, but no broadband. The house right opposite of mine has it too since a few days, and that's been empty for ages. Haven't seen them dig at all in my street, around end Sept I saw a few guys in UPC overalls working here and there, and that's about it. Can anybody tell me why all of my street has broadband except my house and a few houses next to it? Calling the helpdesk is no use, they cannot tell me anything.

For now I am using City Broadband, which is currently pretty ok - but it used to be sh*te a month ago AND it's unsecured, so I cannot really do anything I can do on a normal connex.

Cheers,

a Dutch in Dub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

GroeneThee wrote: »
    Hm, early to mid September I got this letter from UPC saying that they would upgrade my area. I live in Dublin 1. Now I called some time ago and they said it was due for release on 28 November. Now it's over one month after that and every house in my street has broadband, except mine and 4 others adjecent to it We have only have Digital TV and HD, but no broadband. The house right opposite of mine has it too since a few days, and that's been empty for ages. Haven't seen them dig at all in my street, around end Sept I saw a few guys in UPC overalls working here and there, and that's about it. Can anybody tell me why all of my street has broadband except my house and a few houses next to it? Calling the helpdesk is no use, they cannot tell me anything.

For now I am using City Broadband, which is currently pretty ok - but it used to be sh*te a month ago AND it's unsecured, so I cannot really do anything I can do on a normal connex.

Cheers,

a Dutch in Dub.

just ring in ask for complaint to be raised on your account as you want a update to when this will be done as everyone else has it and you dont and just keep ringing in till you get your answer.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Have just fired off a query to UPC to see what areas of Ashbourne they are upgrading, as there may be different systems around some of the estates, I don't know if they put in some local systems as well as the centralised system that has it's head end at the back of the Ashbourne house hotel.

The old analog cable system is dire, and has been for years, unreliable, head end goes off air regularly, resets, strange messages on screen, all sorts of issues, but I would be hoping that UPC will at last get their act together and start providing a sensible level of service to this area. If they are also going to be able to provide good broadband, that will be even better, but I'm not going to hold my breath, as when it was Chorus, and before that Cable management, it was dire in the extreme.

Time will tell.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Have just fired off a query to UPC to see what areas of Ashbourne they are upgrading, as there may be different systems around some of the estates, I don't know if they put in some local systems as well as the centralised system that has it's head end at the back of the Ashbourne house hotel.

The old analog cable system is dire, and has been for years, unreliable, head end goes off air regularly, resets, strange messages on screen, all sorts of issues, but I would be hoping that UPC will at last get their act together and start providing a sensible level of service to this area. If they are also going to be able to provide good broadband, that will be even better, but I'm not going to hold my breath, as when it was Chorus, and before that Cable management, it was dire in the extreme.

Time will tell.

The best way to contact them is to send an email to this address.

rebuildcomplaints@upc.ie

That will get them to check up on the current status quicker. I got a reply from them within an hour during opening times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

I would say Im on the same system as you Irish Steve, think we were off for a day or so supposedly due to a cable being cut in a cabinet in Garden City, someone told me that our signal gets beamed from Swords. As Thor mentioned estates cabled under the eves are a bit of a nightmare, shouldnt be to many hold up's as all cables come into the houses here under ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Fathead

I see that KN Network services (contracted to UPC) are working in the estate at the moment, Hopefully we aren't to far away from going live :confused:

Well, after a few calls, I got an incident number and was told to call back in a day or two. So I did and they then told me that their contractor would contact me in order to check if my cable plug in the wall was suitable. Never got a call, but I got a letter on the 23rd of March, dated one week earlier, saying that there was some unexpected cable routing difficulties and it was impssble to name a completion date. But, they could route easily to the houses opposite of mine and the ones affected, what can be so difficult that it is still not upgraded, 5 months after the promised completion date? And we're a month further on after their letter as well. Guess I will call in again next week....I am starting to think I will never ever get UPC broadband here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Probably an awkward neigbour of your's who wouldn't let UPC pass a cable on their property,happens fairly often unfortunately.

• Advertisement

What estate are you in GT as Johnswood/ Brindley etc are all through ducting.
    Seen the USA crowd in the estate during the week, I presume they do some of the bigger stuff for UPC when it comes to making connections where as KN just lay it?

I live in Gardiner Place, Dublin 1, cubix. So it's not really an estate. Haven't heard anything yet from them - also haven't seen any guys that look like they were cableguys. But that could be as well because I am at work all day. City Broadband drives me nuts! Simple example of how bad they suck is the fact that I now try for the fourth time to post this reply and get a "no response" error. Or I get a "DNS-lookup" error or some other error. But it doesn't post...

Well, I just got word that it was indeed a neighbouring B&B in my street that was refusing cables to cross his premise unless he would get concessions off them. So starviewadams, you were right. Guess I will have a word with the guy who runs that place. I need fast Inet for my work. Thanks for all the responses so far.

Quick question: is there anything that I can do about this stopper? Thanks!

Couple of more vans from KN netowork at the top of the estate and on the main road, hopefully they were doing something worthwhile. Come on UPC give me that UNLIMITED power you pocess and take me from this 6mb broadband hell I am having to live with:D Eircom boy was back last week trying to tempt me with his lastest wares and his 12month contract.
    No offence meant to the poor buggers still on dial up speeds;)

Where did the last five months go:eek:. Just had the UPC boy around at the door to say did I want 25mb broadband, so I said go on then:rolleyes:.
    Just in time as the 40gig cap on VF has gone over twice which they charged me for, tried to go up to the next level but they wanted to tie me into another 12months,good luck;).

Now, called again last week and now they tell me it should be done in 3-4 weeks. Ultimately by the 17th of June it should be there. The tale about the stopper was, so the girl told me, just a lie. I get the feeling they're just telling me sth in order to get rid of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Fathead

has anyone received there BB yet all the houses surrounding mine appear to be able. johnswood yes milbourne yes westfield green yes brindley NO

• Registered Users Posts: 3 deepdigger

I'm think i'm about to pull my f**king hair out, that is if I had any. I have been in Churchfields in Ashbourne for over 3 years waiting on Craig F**king Doyle to jog past my House... He aint coming so said the nice lady at UPCs help desk. After using upc for my BB before i moved to ashbourne and now not having it... well I'm just not having that... Get the finger out UPC and talk my 66 euro per month. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 deepdigger

deepdigger wrote: »
    I'm think i'm about to pull my f**king hair out, that is if I had any. I have been in Churchfields in Ashbourne for over 3 years waiting on Craig F**king Doyle to jog past my House... He aint coming so said the nice lady at UPCs help desk. After using upc for my BB before i moved to ashbourne and now not having it... well I'm just not having that... Get the finger out UPC and talk my 66 euro per month. :)

I and take... Sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

I'm in Johnswood drive ( I can see entrance to Brindley from my front window) and I went live 12th June. I'm really impressed so far. Hd tv and on demand isn't available yet and they said the highest speed at the mo is 25Mbps but then they upgraded me to 30Mbps free of charge!!!

It's strange that Brindley hasn't been turned on yet, I have a friend in there who can see my house from his but can't get UPC yet, weird.

Advertisement