Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple TV and Home Sharing

Options
  • 27-12-2011 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi,

I got Apple TV as a xmas present and am having some issues with Home Sharing.
    Have windows pc with itunes account logged in and same itunes account logged in on ATV. But home sharing keeps dropping off the Computer menu on the ATV
    Anyone any ideas how to sort this ??

Thanks !
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Hi,

Have windows pc with itunes account logged in and same itunes account logged in on ATV. But home sharing keeps dropping off the Computer menu on the ATV

Thanks !
    Do you have a Zytel router ?
    The free eircom one
    If so it was my problem

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭pmsurveys

Hi,

Thanks !

I assume both are on wifi? How far away from router is atv and pc. Can you try Ethernet. Shouldn't have any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 fornjot

I have a similar problem, except nothing shows up under computers on the Apple TV. Yes. Eircom Zyxel router. Ipad remote app doesnt work either. I suspect a setting needs changing on the router. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Yep its a common problem with those routers.

Try the update for router which is on Eircoms page:

http://support.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=33&E=0000000000316913068&K=9346&Sxi=2&Case=obj(11570)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 fowlersleftpeg

Im using WiFi but not using the Eircom router. The connection seems to be holding now after my SP opened and reserved some ports on the router.

Still having issues with some of my content not showing up in the ATV menu (content that is on laptop) but gradually i am discovering little fixes.

Biggest issue for me now is that ATV seems to be almost killing my DSL speed. Speedtest results varying from the ridiculous of 0.05mbps Download and 0.10 Upload to a max of 1.08 & 0.30 when im supposed to be on an 8mb line
    Not happy !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Apple use multicasting for home sharing I believe. Cheapo routers sometimes have issues with this. I would try the router manufacturers website for a firmware update.

Regarding your speed test results - is the atv doing anything when you test it? If you are downloading a movie in the background for example then it is using up your bandwidth. That's normal. Only real way around that is to have a router that allows you to limit bandwidth per device. But everything would load slower on the atv then.

Thanks SS, will try firmware update

ATV has d/l a movie but speedtest results when it is just connected via Home Sharing. Movie took 14 hrs to d/l then when i select to play it, it tells me it will be ready to watch in 8hrs and appears to be d/l again !! thats 22hrs to watch a movie thats 1hr 34 mins long. Insaneo !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Humm strange. If it says ready to watch it should start almost straight away.

If you power off the atv do your speed test results improve?

They do...but not significantly. SP looking into it now for me. Not at home so will try some more fixes later

Advertisement