Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop Virus???

• 27-12-2011 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭

Hi all.
    I have an Acer Aspire 5551-A laptop. Recently while on the internet random words become highlighted and underlined (like a link to web page). While i hold the cursor over the word a text box appears titled "text enhance" with daily news and saying i have won ipads and iphones. Does anybody know what this is & how to get rid. I have Microsoft security Essentials and Avira Free Antivirus none of which detected anything.
    Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

beanie10 wrote: »
    Hi all.
    I have an Acer Aspire 5551-A laptop. Recently while on the internet random words become highlighted and underlined (like a link to web page). While i hold the cursor over the word a text box appears titled "text enhance" with daily news and saying i have won ipads and iphones. Does anybody know what this is & how to get rid. I have Microsoft security Essentials and Avira Free Antivirus none of which detected anything.
    Many thanks in advance.

First of all ditch one of those anti viruses, I'd go for ditching Avira. You should only ever have one av scanner installed, secondly does this appear on all web pages or certain ones? Certain website owners put such a system on to make money from, although it could be an advertising thingy you installed.
    From what you suggest it appears to be a plugin providing this junk, look here for removal instructions

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Thanks Nick, it appears on every website its really bad on on here, nearly every line has a word highlighted. It only appears about 10 seconds after opening the page.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

beanie10 wrote: »
    Thanks Nick, it appears on every website its really bad on on here, nearly every line has a word highlighted. It only appears about 10 seconds after opening the page.

If the browser you use is Chrome look at the suggestion posted as a link to the Chrome forums. If its on another browser let me know which one.
    It appears rogue Chrome extensions cause this issue from reading the Chrome boards

Nick

I use chrome but it also happens on firefox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Have you installed programs that wants to install various toolbars too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

Thanks for all replies. I tried the link on yoyos first post and seems to have solved the problem. Thanks again yoyo.

Advertisement