Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any paddling gear from Santa?

Options
  • 27-12-2011 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭

I got myself a GoPro Hero. Can't wait to get it on the river!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

MugMugs wrote: »

What kind of battery life does it give? Have thought about one. :-)

No paddling gear for me (have pretty much everything)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

About three and a bit hours. You can get battery add ons. Only downfall is the lack of screen Imo. You can get one for it though but 90 quid is a bit pricey.

Used it on a Boyne run yesterday. Quite happy with the footage and the mounting seems solid however I did canibalise a nose plug just to add some extra security should the camera break free!

Nose plug was a good idea. Considering the price of the little toy. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

MugMugs wrote: »
    Not quite gear but I got Irish Canoe Classics book as a gift, great book with lots of useful guides.
    Also got an Olympus Tough camera, waterproof(3m) and shockproof(1.5m). Already have a GoPro but the Olympus replaces an old cannon camera that the missus dropped into the Liffey while cheering us on during the Descent :(
    Put it to the test yesterday on the Inny and great piece of kit.

Considering some many people I know got a GoPro this year, are they that good?

• Advertisement

stapeler wrote: »
    Not quite gear but I got Irish Canoe Classics book as a gift, great book with lots of useful guides.

I am a bit jealous ! I was eyeing that up and hopeful of it under the tree ! May pick it up during the week !

Zuppy wrote: »
    Considering some many people I know got a GoPro this year, are they that good?

The GoPro?

I've given it a few runs now and I am using a bit of a slow SD card. Waiting on my new one to arrive. I am happy with the quality of it overall. I don't like the pack that there are nessecary add ons that are not included. The likes of Fog spray etc. We took a run a few days ago and I put it onto youtube. It was a bit of a lets not get your head wet affair and I kinda rushed the editing but this was recorded at 720.

I really cant wait to get it out for the Descent !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

The GoPro is excellent and produces great footage. I'd say the only real negative is the fisheye lens which makes it difficult to take a "regular" photo.
    Controls and menu system(or lack there of) require a little getting used to.

I have an 8GB card in mine, great but it's amazing how much junk footage I have to delete after a few hours use.
    Here's a short edited clip from the Descent.

I had a bit of a similar occurrence on Palmerstown. It's a handy enough ride out of the left though if you keep the edge up !

• Registered Users Posts: 18 angland27

Got a new Graphite Paddle. So light

Advertisement