Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Business information systems

• 27-12-2011 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

i was wondering what the business information systems course like in UCC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BazDel

I'm in first year BIS at the moment. We do 9 modules in first year:

IT
    Programming ,Internet and Web Development, Management Information system and Systems Analysis and Design,

Business

Financial Accounting, Management Accounting, Psychology of business, Business Statistics, Economics, Management and Organisation or Marketing

Attendance is taken at most lectures/labs/practicals which is unusal for college courses. You need 80% for work placement in third year so it's important you attend, the work is easier if you attend anyway :)

So far I've enjoyed it as I'm interested in the computer side, some of the business subjects can be a bit boring though. It's not too difficult if you go along and not leave everything til the last minute. So far we've had plenty of time for assignments.

Having done Accounting is a big advantage for first year if you have done it in the LC. Both accountings start from stratch anyway so if you haven't you should be fine.

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

I'm in fourth year BIS. As BazDel said, having done accounting is an advantage, but if you go to the lectures and do a bit of study it's grand. Don't think it did much more in the end than what's done for the Leaving. First year economics is about the same, and they do build on it a bit after first year.
    A lot of the IT stuff you do in first year is pretty useful later on as well. A lot of people are working in VB.Net (the programming language done in first year) and HTML for their Final Year Projects.
    You'll start on Java as well in second year. It's a bit more difficult than VB.Net but if you can keep up with it you'll be grand. It can be way more useful sometimes as well.
    Systems Analysis and Design is kept on up until third year on some form or another, and you'll have to know about it for your FYP so it's worth learning for that alone.
    Overall it's a really good course imo. You get a pretty good grounding in both IT and Business subjects and the placement experience is fantastic.

BIS gets asked about quite a bit, there are a few threads on it already. If you need to know anything more specific have a look through these, do a bit of a search or if you can't find it ask here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68780024
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75529263

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DavidTKD

Hello,

I am going to fill out my cao in the next week or two and since the first time i read/heard about BIS iv been extremely interested.

I was certain about putting this number one until my guidance counsellor at school recently told me that i would need a high level of maths in order to do well in BIS at UCC.

This has me concerned as I do ordinary level maths and I am not fantastic at maths.

Iv been told that I would be better off doing something like Commerce.

Many Thanks,

David

Advertisement