Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mechanic with Van in South Dublin

• 27-12-2011 3:55pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, does anyone know a mechanic in south Dublin with a van that can pick up and fix a bike? A friend of mine has had a really nice old Honda CBR1000 with only 5000 miles on the clock sitting in his garage for years. His dad got it from a friend for cheap but never even moved the thing. I told him I would get it fixed and sell it for him. No idea what needs doing but probably not much as the mileage is so low it has just been sitting up for years.

Anyone know anyone who might be able to pick this bike up and get it working?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

No recommendation for a mechanic to restore the thing but surely you should make a stab at it yourself? Tyres, filters, new oil, battery and brake fluid would be a start and apart from putting on the tyres is very manageable. How is it cosmetically? If you do get a mechanic recommended, you shouldn't have a bother getting someone with a van to transport it cheap enough for you. If you have breakdown cover on your own policy, you could transfer it to your mates bike for a few days and "break down" at his address and they will bring it to a garage of your choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Don't bother spending money on it - you won't get it back as part of the sale price and will waste money in the process. Advertise it as is - at that mileage any buyer will want different things done to be happy with it. Clean it and take some nice pics - stick it on Donedeal and Adverts. Charge the battery, see if it will start and work from there...

If you really want a good mechanic, ring MotoTechnic in Kimmage on 01-4908947 and ask if they can collect it, I've used them several times and was very happy with them.

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Don't bother spending money on it - you won't get it back as part of the sale price and will waste money in the process. Advertise it as is - at that mileage any buyer will want different things done to be happy with it. Clean it and take some nice pics - stick it on Donedeal and Adverts.

+1

If you where keeping it yourself it would be worthwhile paying to get it repaired. But anyone buying a bike that old will be well able to look after it themselves or have access to someone who can. You'd never make the labour charges back and little on the parts.

Charge the battery, see if it will start and work from there...

'cptr

I'd at least change the oil and filter, clean the carbs and stick some fresh go juice in.

Advertisement