Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madrid - Tips and Advice on Moving There

Options
  • 27-12-2011 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Does anyone have info on moving to/living in Madrid? I'm looking for insider tips/info from people in the know on where to live, how much a double room in a shared apartment costs on average, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Not adivce per sae but something to think about I'd be very careful moving to Madrid without work lined up. Unemployment there is higher than Ireland. I know a guy in IT whoose family lives there who has to work in London and comes home once a month. Nearly everyone else in the area is working in the UK, France or Germany.

If you have a job this obviously doesn't apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Hi! I actually lived in Madrid for a while. I organised my flat through an agency, which I would not recommend at all. Spanish people I knew there had used this website called idealista.com. It's a very popular website in Spain for finding accommodation. You can also use the website in English, if you don't speak Spanish.

I can't say how much a double room in an apartment will cost. However, the nearest you are to the city centre, the more expensive the rent is. If you're looking for reasonable rent, I'd stay away from barrio salamanca and malasaña as these areas are really bad for the high rents. I got a single room sharing for 450€ a month in barrio salamanca. The fact they are quite near the centre doesn't help. You could live on the outskirts of Madrid, but you could be about an hour or more commuting by Metro/commuter trains (Cercanías). That all depends on whether you would need to be in the centre for your job, etc. A months metro ticket is roughly 50€ a month, which isn't too bad compared to Dublin Bus.

With regard to areas, it depends on what you want. Barrio salamanca is the very posh area of Madrid. I only learnt that when I got there :pac:/. Malasaña , Chueca would have a lot of partying going on. Chueca is known for being gay friendly. I know someone who lived in Arguelles. It seemed nice enough and not too near the centre. I'd recommend getting Lonely Planet Guide to Madrid for more information on the different districts of Madrid.

Best of luck with the move. It's a lovely city!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭beerbuddy

Firstly Madrid as a city has five million people so its a very open question.
    Rent for a one bedroom can cost upto 800 euro in a central area.
    Check out idealista for more info.
    You should probably share so lets say 400.

Minimum wage is 460 you will not get work waiting tables as in Ireland paying 8 euros an hour. Unemployment in Spain is 22 percent but in madrid it is 13.

If you come over with a job an no experience i would not expect you to earn over 1000 euro a month.Dublin is now cheaper then madrid which is quite a turn around. If you are here to teach english they tend to like Americans more as they are here illegally and will therefore work for less.

If you can give me more specifics i can give you more information.
    Do you speak Spanish ,what job are you looking for etc

Advertisement